German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've tried the "fist" thing too. It worked for my first dog, didn't work for my current one. (But then again, my first one wasn't as bitey as the 2nd one.) It only made the current one angrier and he either bit down harder or came back at me more after my hand was free. Different things work for different dogs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Literally 80% of my day is spent playing with her with all of her toys
My thought is more exerercise. I mean at least a 2.5 to 3 mile walk a day. Drain the energy from your pup.
This.. plus HOW you play with the dog matters too. I can boringly throw the ball and my dog will get it but won’t get “tired”. But when I really get amped up and go WEEEE let’s get the ball!!!!! And I interact with him while playing that tires my dog out 10x more

You can start teaching him to fetch stuff too. Someone on this forum told me they taught their dog to go get the ball. So I taught my dog that and I’ll say GET BALL and he will go rummage around and find it. Just giving them stuff to do will make them happy. Buy some meaty bones for the pup to chew on too that’ll give you some rest time

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
To stop a behavior takes consequences. The fist might work. I like to use the Super Hero pose, big and firmly planted on the ground, unmoved. Sometimes a firm NO will get their attention long enough to stop messing around. As much as possible a No should be followed by a Yes, No you can't bite my sleeve, Yes you can go get the tug toy (that only gets used when playing with you). You have to make playing with toys worth it to your dog. Toys that you share gain value. Tug and fetch become rewards for good behavior. Put on some fun music and spend 10 - 15 minutes learning how to play tug and fetch together. I will make a difference.

Also if your dog gets breakfast and dinner you can make breakfast a bit smaller and use healthy treats to teach your pup to take food from your hand gently. There are all kinds of ways to do this. I like to put food in my fist and turn my fist facing down with the back of my hand to the dog. That means wait. When I turn my fist toward my dog then they can push their nose in and I'll open my hand so the treat can be accessed. There are other ways to do this but in the end it all teaches the dog to pay attention to your body language and to wait. Self control will get better as your pup gets older. These games will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there. My 4 months old puppy does this sometimes when he gets over excited . Especially after I come back from work and he hasn't seen me for a while. When he gets out of control I just step outside the baby gate turn my back on him for a few minutes . When I do go back in i dont look at him or say anything until he comes to lick my hand or my leg then i play with him again. That usually works .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts