German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have had our 1 year old Sasha since she was 2 months old. We have been going to a private trainer the whole time we have had her. She is perfect at the trainer, and is great with my husband, but bites me all the time. She's always needed something in her mouth to chew on, and normally i just put a toy in her mouth when she goes to bite me. She will constantly spit the toy out and come back at me. It's not aggressive, it's just constant. I've tried putting her in the kennel, biting her ear, smacking her snout, giving her a treat when she stops biting for a few seconds, and nothing is working! She does not have this problem with anyone else but me, she's a total sweetheart to anyone else. She wags her tail when she first sees me, and will give me kisses, and I reward those behaviors, but then the teeth come out right after.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There’s a sticky thread on here somewhere I believe. If you search “puppy biting” there’s some great information shared.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also I wonder if it’s part of her not respecting your authority in the pack so to speak, since she only does it with you. If that’s the case, perhaps having a more dominant presence so she respects you would help. I’m sure others more qualified can weigh in on that, and how to go about it. Best of luck 🙂

·
4,518 Posts
Just putting a toy in her mouth isn't satisfying. In fact it can be annoying. You may have to tug a bit, make the toy active. Then the toy becomes a game piece you use together. That raises the value of the toy and can become a better substitute for taking your arm.

The biting could be a misplaced herding behavior, too. A little play time together with the toy can help with that urge.

And check the sticky thread :)

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
We have had our 1 year old Sasha since she was 2 months old. We have been going to a private trainer the whole time we have had her. She is perfect at the trainer, and is great with my husband, but bites me all the time. She's always needed something in her mouth to chew on, and normally i just put a toy in her mouth when she goes to bite me. She will constantly spit the toy out and come back at me. It's not aggressive, it's just constant. I've tried putting her in the kennel, biting her ear, smacking her snout, giving her a treat when she stops biting for a few seconds, and nothing is working! She does not have this problem with anyone else but me, she's a total sweetheart to anyone else. She wags her tail when she first sees me, and will give me kisses, and I reward those behaviors, but then the teeth come out right after.
At a year old this needs to stop. Now.
@JonRob brought up a method that works for some stubborn dogs, I used it on a few. The next time she bites your hand make a fist and shove it as far into her mouth as you can and keep it there. Until the dog is desperate to spit it out. It normally only takes once or twice. The theory is that you are making a rewarding behavior unrewarding. You are giving the dog what it wants and showing it that it doesn't want it. Don't get angry and don't make a thing out of it. Just shove your hand into her mouth.
Do not yelp, bite back or smack a dog for biting. Yelping triggers prey drive, biting the ear puts your face near teeth and smacking teaches the dog that play will be met with aggression. Much like children dogs learn what they live, so you cannot teach gentle and reasonable with aggression and anger. If you use a toy to redirect then the toy has to be at least as much fun as a human squeaky toy. Move the toy. Make it shake and wiggle and tease.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Since it's only you that she does this with, maybe Hubby takes a backseat with her training for a while and you step into the drivers seat. She still has to listen to Hubby but you are the one that all training sessions are with. You feed, You make time to train and play. You set boundaries and enforce. It sounds like she is trying to engage you by mouthing so give her what she wants. Engage her.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
What does your trainer say about this?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've tried the fist. It may or may not work, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Just be very matter of fact and calm about it.
Yup. And don't praise or interact with the dog when you finally let her spit your hand out. Just calmly walk away and ignore the dog for a while. The dog learns that biting you makes you do this weird yucky thing and gets her nothing that she wants. Done correctly, it does not hurt the dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just putting a toy in her mouth isn't satisfying. In fact it can be annoying. You may have to tug a bit, make the toy active. Then the toy becomes a game piece you use together. That raises the value of the toy and can become a better substitute for taking your arm.

The biting could be a misplaced herding behavior, too. A little play time together with the toy can help with that urge.

And check the sticky thread /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Literally 80% of my day is spent playing with her with all of her toys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At a year old this needs to stop. Now.
@JonRob brought up a method that works for some stubborn dogs, I used it on a few. The next time she bites your hand make a fist and shove it as far into her mouth as you can and keep it there. Until the dog is desperate to spit it out. It normally only takes once or twice. The theory is that you are making a rewarding behavior unrewarding. You are giving the dog what it wants and showing it that it doesn't want it. Don't get angry and don't make a thing out of it. Just shove your hand into her mouth.
Do not yelp, bite back or smack a dog for biting. Yelping triggers prey drive, biting the ear puts your face near teeth and smacking teaches the dog that play will be met with aggression. Much like children dogs learn what they live, so you cannot teach gentle and reasonable with aggression and anger. If you use a toy to redirect then the toy has to be at least as much fun as a human squeaky toy. Move the toy. Make it shake and wiggle and tease.

I have tried the fist in her mouth since this comment, and all she does is think I'm playing with her, and comes back harder.with her and

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am home all day, so I am the one that does feedings, training, playing, everything... Yet she still prefers him to me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does your trainer say about this?
Since she doesn't do it around our trainer, our trainer is not 100% sure how to go about stopping it. I do all the training with her, and she's perfectly fine. We have tried giving treats for good behavior, playing with her, kenneling her to calm her down, and nothing works.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Literally 80% of my day is spent playing with her with all of her toys
Ah.

Could be that it’s time to be more aloof with her, and ignore her some of the time.
Playtime is initiated by you, and ended by you.

There’s is such thing as giving a GSD too much attention.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Since she doesn't do it around our trainer, our trainer is not 100% sure how to go about stopping it. I do all the training with her, and she's perfectly fine. We have tried giving treats for good behavior, playing with her, kenneling her to calm her down, and nothing works.
What kind of trainer is this? Experienced with GSDs?
Have you tried corrections? What sort?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I do. When we go to the trainer, I do 90% of the work with her.
Thank you for answering. I still would like to know how much you work with her outside of training sessions, not play but expect obedience with her. You say you play with her 80% of the day. Do you make her work for the play? Like "you want me to throw the ball"...then "sit", type of stuff. I’m, of course, not sure but it reads like she might need more boundaries in her life. It's hard to tell with just forum posts though.

Have you tried corrections? What sort?
I think this question has merit.

My version of correction while biting was occasionally making my pup bite himself (roll his lip into his teeth) and then continue to play. Miraculously, it hurt him when he played hard bites with me. So now he doesn't bite much but he will put his mouth around my arm and slobber me.

That said, I find that my boy is more mouthy with me than anyone else in the family. I also am the primary worker and player of the house. I'm pretty sure these dogs use mouths as an extension of hands they never had.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is just my unprofessional opinion. The dog may not respect you as much as your husband

I had this start happening with my gf. My dog started to basically think he was higher in the pack than my gf. Under me but above her. He started doing similar things as you say. Biting her when she wouldn’t play, etc. So I told her to be more firm with him and really establish herself above him by only playing when she wants and really correcting him more and this behavior went away

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am going through the same thing Courtney!! I have a male 7 1/2 month old and he play bites me all the time no matter what i do. He esp bites me a lot when i come home after work - maybe he is too excited and puts all his energy in his mouth and then connecting it to my hands and arms.

I will try shoving my hand into his mouth, but I feel like he will come back even harder lol. But i will give it a shot today. He even bites my clothes and tries to pull on it!

He does not really do it much to my husband, but my husband does get Very firm with him when he acts bad. I am not as firm as my husband so i will have to work on that. I have done most of the training with our dog too and have been giving him one/one long walks (teaching him to heel), maybe he is more connected to me IN SOME WAY and he thinks it is just fun to bite me. Who knows!

I feel your pain- i believe we are on the same boat.

So yeah.. He is pretty naughty with the biting to my hands and arms and then the leash when on walks.. Just praying this is a simple puppy play thing and he will grow out of it. But of course correct him greatly now in case it becomes a bad habit with a Much stronger jaw. :|

1 - 20 of 25 Posts