German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Jada potty trained very well. She almost immediately goes pee/poop the second we take her outside to her spot. We've only had 1 or two accidents inside and she's turning 9 weeks tomorrow.

I wish I could say the chew toy training is going as well. She shows interest in chew toys for maybe a minute then moves on to something else (grass, sticks, couch, chair, water bowl, ANYTHING!) I try to take her back to the toy but just rinse and repeat. She bites our toes, she bites our pants, she bites the carpet...I mean literally anything. We can keep her distracted for about a minute with a kong, nylabone, etc. Is this normal?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome...I was just worried we we're doing a terrible job at something. I had read to keep giving them chew toys but it's alot easier reading it haha...she just wants to bite everything and everyone.

At what age do they stop with so much chewing?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Awesome...I was just worried we we're doing a terrible job at something. I had read to keep giving them chew toys but it's alot easier reading it haha...she just wants to bite everything and everyone.

At what age do they stop with so much chewing?
From what I've read, it takes MONTHS... :(

If you want some reference, use the search function and type in "land shark".

Lots of lovely stories will appear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bianca is rounding off 13 weeks now and I've noticed quite a bit of a chewing decrease (on people). Once we got her into the puppy-classes with the schutzhund club she's been too interested with the tug rags and things. It has just taken a LOT of redirecting, but she's grasped it :) There's hope!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The nipping and biting as a little pup has to happen, it's how they learn and communicate and play with their littermates- only now we're their littermates. At about 5 mos they start teething and need to chew rather than bite. So you're looking at a few months, but hang in there it'll get better. Uschi was a terrible biter but once she went through teething it stopped. Stosh was never much of a biter but now at 8 mos he's doing a mouthing thing and holding my hand or wrist in his mouth.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...I wasn't actually sure if my clicker training and treats were doing anything. She just seemed like she totally wasn't paying attention. All i've done with training so far in the 5 days we've had her is work on Come Here Jada and Sit. I was almost always having to push on her rear or really hold the treat high to get her to sit on command so I wasn't sure she was old enough to catch on. Or she'd just get to me and sit out of luck...

WELL! It's now been 5 days of training with her and today's only her 9 week year old mark. I've been training with her about 3 times a day very short 15-20 minute sessions on those two commands. She was flawless today. She came out and I said sit and she hit the ground with her butt so amazing quick I did a happy dance. I couldn't believe it. Now sometimes she's going all the way to a lay position and I'm not sure if I should be rewarding that. I was just so excited to get a response that I was?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts