German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.“ -Thoreau

My boyfriend and I have birthdays a day apart - this year they fell on a weekend so we decided to make it a long one and unplug with the doggos. With all the California fires spread across the state - it was difficult to find someplace with good air quality. Mokelumne Wilderness was that place :)

Keystone is 5.5yrs and has had inconsistent health... this is his first trip since recovering from a very long stint on prednisone where much of his muscle tone wasted. Very proud of him. Tilden is 11.5yrs... enough said! He killed it!! We left him behind for some of the really short trips to limit unnecessary back and forth, but I still estimate that he hiked about 7 miles (and swam!!) this weekend at 8,000+ elevation. Good boys!

Anyway, enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Beautiful scenery, great photos, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to you both!

With my previous dog, I decided to hike up to the continental divide in Colorado, with my then 8 or 9 yr old dog - around 14K ft in elevation (parking lot at around 10 K). She was much better than I was at going uphill, but I decided to jog the last couple miles coming down and she was lagging further and further behind as time went on, so much so that people I passed on the trail were commenting on "my hiking partner" LOL.

Still not sure what that was about, age or altitude, it was a pretty long day. But either way it was beautiful and memorable for us, and we both loved it!

Glad you guys got to celebrate your Bds in such a great way!

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
looks like you have a whole deck of wonderful memories to draw from now. Thank you for sharing those great photos.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Gorgeous shots, gorgeous dogs and gorgeous people! Wonderful way to spend your birthdays. Many happy returns.

·
Registered
267 Posts
These wildfires are out of control! Happy birthday! I'm glad you found a safe place to recreate. Love the photos, those are some happy dogs, and the hammock picture is priceless. ?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Second to last pic looks like you captured one calling to the wild. I remember your thread of Keystones fight with that disease. What a great bday gift you gave to both of them and yourself.

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Second to last pic looks like you captured one calling to the wild. I remember your thread of Keystones fight with that disease. What a great bday gift you gave to both of them and yourself.
It certainly made for a cool photo but it was actually such an annoying moment (so much for a romantic sunset dinner) - he discovered his echo and raced around barking at the sky off and on for a good 20 minutes while becoming increasingly frustrated. I took a video also and each time I watch I don’t know wether to laugh or roll my eyes.

Thanks for all the compliments guys - they had a great time and knowing that they both have their issues (age/health), I’m cherishing every moment and every outing!

·
Super Moderator
32,545 Posts
Gorgeous place, and great photos. Tilden looks exactly the same, he's aging very well. Happy belated birthday!

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gorgeous place, and great photos. Tilden looks exactly the same, he's aging very well. Happy belated birthday!
I was able to confirm on this trip however that he’s definitely lost most of his hearing... sometimes I wish I had the visual clues that he’s aging to remind me to be more patient.

But you’re right, I’m pretty sure if we pulled up some old fort funston photos from ‘08 he probably looks identical.

·
Super Moderator
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful pictures! Looks like a great time! I was thinking too that I wouldn't be able to tell which one was 11.5!! Beautiful boys!
Totally... when people ask their ages, they totally mix up who is who. My sig helps, but the red coatie is the old guy..

·
Super Moderator
32,545 Posts
Tilden, June 2012

Nope, definitely does not look 6 years older!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts