Advice On When To Adopt - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Advice On When To Adopt

Hello! Husband and I would really love to add a German Shepherd into our family eventually, but know it’s not a good time right now. I am currently pregnant with my second baby. She’ll be due in mid April. My daughter is 3 1/2 years old. We also have a 13 year old Shiba Inu, who is very calm and never aggressive. We both have never owned a German Shepherd, but have always wanted one.

My main question is when do you think would be the ideal time for us to adopt a German Shepherd?
Would it be better to get a puppy so that he/she can grow up with our kids? If so, how long should I wait until after my second child is born? Of course we would make sure we have the time to train the new puppy. How much time does it take to train/how long is the process? Would adopting an older dog who is already good around kids be a better route? If so, again, how old should second child be at the time? Would it be a bad idea to get a new dog with an already elderly dog already in the family?

We’d appreciate some friendly advice from experienced owners. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:18 AM

a German Shepherd puppy is a lot of work and often not at all gentle. Personally I'd wait until after your 2nd child is born. Heaven forbid your baby is a handful and you have a scamp of a dog at the same time. GSDs can take up to 2 - 3 years to mature! Not only can you look at rescues later but check with good breeders who have dogs that are retiring from their program. These ladies are not too old to enjoy a good romp but mature enough to settle in at home.

I adopted an adult male GSD when my daughter was a baby. He was awesome. So much depends on your life style, your kids, your energy level and your old dog so take your time.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page