To breed or not to breed, that is the question... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

It does happen, and it's GREAT. Bear in mind, it's not going to happen for patrol dogs. But it also has a LOT to do with the resources available. On state and local levels, it's not as easy to go through large agencies that solely rescue and rehab dogs for this purpose. A K9 guy I know in town has said that they've tried it a couple of times (with maligators, mind you.... easier to find a well-bred mal in a shelter than a well-bred GSD, I would imagine), and it hasn't worked. They don't have the resources available to consistently rehab these dogs... there aren't teams of people lined up to take the months or years to rehab and train them, and most of them come with major issues.

Plus, with how watered down the GSD is becoming (poorly bred ones are rapidly outnumbering well bred ones), I imagine this is going to continue to be harder and harder to do. The dogs they are pulling and rehabbing are usually still well-bred dogs that somehow ended up in rescues... not 5th generation BYB dog.

Last edited by LoveEcho; 08-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #33 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I'm saying the phrase is garbage, not the people saying it - most are simply repeating what they've been told. I apologize if you took it the other way as I didn't mean it in that way. Thick skins are needed when you can't hear inflections behind the words unfortunately
I do have a thick skin and am not bothered by what you said , I'm just more of entertained by how you said it lol. Anyway, for you and everyone else, please do not hold back and say what is on your minds, I am truly intrigued by the different opinions on this topic for which we all feel so passionate about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Crowned Member

if rescues weren't so picky and if they were willing to work with people on the neutering part (i offered vasectomy) then I would've rescued.

for my first dog a rescue would've done just fine. my second will probably come from a breeder. I want to try sport.
post #35 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

It depends on why you want the dog, what you plan to do with it and your abilities as a trainer. A rescue dog might need to be retrained as part of the training process. Only an experienced trainer knows how to do that, so you could end up getting a less expensive dog and then pay more for the training. If you are a natural or experienced trainer and can do that yourself, then go for a rescue. There are beautiful purebred dogs in shelter and rescue groups. If you go that route, try to get a dog you can foster first or test out in your home before committing. It's kinder to you and the dog. When I've done that, the answer was clear. I've turned fosters back to the rescue when it wasn't a match.

If you have a specific training plan in mind, like SAR or IPO, you have a more direct route toward your goal with a dog that was bred for that type of work and training.

I've done both. What's important is to make the right decision for you at this point in your life, not because you think you should follow someone else's idea of the right way to obtain a dog.
post #36 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I used to train where US customs boarded their dogs. The procurement guy also would board dogs as he went around his territory looking for prospects. Sometimes he was able to find a trailer full (12 dogs) in his search and sometimes he found 2. Of those a small percentage ended up being able to do the job. There just are not enough rescue/shelter dogs available that are suitable for the working world and if we eliminated breeders there would be none at all.

Not everyone wants a dog from rescue. Some people want and need a dog bred for a specific purpose. If breeders did not exist many of these people would not just go adopt a dog. They would just not get a dog at all. Blaming the death of a shelter dog on people who buy puppies from a breeder is a emotional guilt trip and nothing more. Blame should be laid at the feet of those responsible. The people who dumped them in the first place.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #37 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

If someone tells me they are looking for a dog with specific behaviors; good with children, quiet, good natured (etc.) I always direct them to rescues. Most have already housed the dog (with Fosters) and already know what could be expected from the dog.

If someone tells me they are looking for a dog with specific traits, I'll provide information regarding reputable breeders.

The big difference for me - is if someone comes to me and tells me they are looking for a dog because their dog of umpteen years just died, I'll direct to a rescue. I think it does their heart good.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #38 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Master Member

To breed or not to breed, that is the question...

I was in your place once. I wholeheartedly believed that you could get any kind of dog from a rescue. And that not rescuing does take a home away from an animal in need.

But here's the reality and it's a sad one, you simply can't save them all. And not all rescues are suitable for adoption. But it seems as humans we love to stand by the long shots, the dogs with bite records, while perfectly good, well rounded dogs die in shelters daily. {personally I think this the bigger issue with the rescue world}

And as others have said: not all rescues are created equal (neither are breeders for that matter). Some will lie about the dogs they have to get them adopted. Others make the adoption process so strenuous most of us here would not get the go ahead. And I do understand why these policies are in place, but where do you draw the line when finding the right home for a dog?

I did the whole rescue thing. My first dog was 8 months when I adopted him. I miss Avery every single day, but he simply wasn't easy to live with. His fear issues were so extreme he cowered in fear if something fell off the table or if I put the blinds down. He became very fear reactive to strangers and anyone outside his "inner circle"...to top it all off he had a MCT removed at 2 and he died of lymphoma at 4.

And I later found out the lovely rescue I got him from that had a beautiful website filled with all these beautiful heart wrenching stories of dogs that found their way...was being run my a dog hoarder. Who kept at least 1/2 of their adoptable dogs caged in his basement without proper care (things as simple as a clean place to sleep and water), and you could forget about proper medical care. The dogs that died in his hands, well they still haunt me..

So for me, going with a breeder, was what I needed this time around. I want a dog with solid nerves and a dog with known lines so hopefully I can avoid the heartbreak of a short lived dog...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by lauren43; 08-12-2014 at 02:07 PM.
post #39 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

So, Barbie, where do you think the shelter dogs came from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #40 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
So, Barbie, where do you think the shelter dogs came from?
If this is about the birds and the bees, hang on a sec and let me get something to take notes with.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page