To breed or not to breed, that is the question... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

do you have those statistics loveecho? i cant find any atm
but i believe it happens more often than not they find a great dog for doing what they are needing if it is drug or bomb detection or what have you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

I know of a few people that go to shelters and get the beagle breed mixes for bedbug detection. Most all of them are successful in training to detect.
When responsible breeders screen carefully their puppy owners they are doing their best to prevent the pup ending anywhere without their consent or being informed of the rehome. There are brokers/breeders that only care about a sale. Yesterday I alerted a trainer/breeder about one of his sales being on an adoption page. He had no idea, and I hope he'll get that dog back to place in a more appropriate home.
It isn't always a breeders fault when one of their pups/dogs end up in a shelter.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #23 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

No, most people realize that dogs without a registered pedigree can't be proven purebred any more than a shelter dog of unknown origin can. Where the BYB and the like make their money is off the bogus registries like the Continental Kennel Club. They sucker in those people that just see ‘pedigree’ or ‘papers’ and don’t look any further. But they're willing to take that chance because the parents look purebred enough and the puppies are too adorable to resist and cheap.

Or a BYB gets their hands on a dog with a well-known sire/dam and breeds the dogs gloating over their ancestor’s success. Joe Public doesn't care if it's 4-5 or even 10 generations removed, they just like the thought that their dog came from Rin Tin Tin's lines or the like.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Good points shanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Saying purchasing from a breeder is killing a shelter dog is truly a load of garbage. It's a chicken/egg argument, the dog was bred somewhere in the world and all dogs deserve a loving home. Where it comes from once it's born is irrelevant to the worthiness of the dog to live in a good home

If every dog was never bred again, well there would be no more dogs very quickly wouldn't there. What we need are more breeders that health test, title, and are truly working at sustaining and improving the breed rather than just breeding two dogs because they are pretty or the family wants a puppy from their special dog. Everyone believes their dog is special, but that doesn't mean they are special enough to add more dogs into the world.

I have a dog from a reputable breeder, I stupidly bought a dog from a BYB, and my first dog was rescued from a shelter. I currently volunteer with a local rescue and my parents foster for the same rescue. All my dogs were and are special in their own way, but from now on I completely leave the breeding to the people that spend years researching and planning. If you want a great dog, stack the odds in your favour

On the flip side there are many awful rescues and shelters out there just grabbing animals left and right so they can make a buck 'selling' them to Joe Public without a thought to the quality of life that animal will have. They just want to look good in the public eye and make money under the table. Those people disgust me just as much as awful breeders do
You made some good point shanna, I may not agree with you 100% and do not think what I say is garbage... Ha ha ha... Anyway, I do agree with you on people should not just be breeding because they want to make cute dogs. I guess if it has to be done, it should be done for a purpose more important than that, such as improving the health and temperament. I can understand this side of the argument.
post #26 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
... Anyway, I do agree with you on people should not just be breeding because they want to make cute dogs. I guess if it has to be done, it should be done for a purpose more important than that, such as improving the health and temperament. I can understand this side of the argument.
This i agree 100%... Some breeders are just in it for the quick money... God knows what happens to unsold puppies... I got Ace from a Backyard breeder and this guy seem to have litters every months. I dont regret having my puppy but in a way i regret of supporting that breeder.

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
post #27 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

SORRY! SHADE! Not shanna, what was I thinking hahah, sorry!
post #28 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
You made some good point shanna, I may not agree with you 100% and do not think what I say is garbage... Ha ha ha... Anyway, I do agree with you on people should not just be breeding because they want to make cute dogs. I guess if it has to be done, it should be done for a purpose more important than that, such as improving the health and temperament. I can understand this side of the argument.
I'm saying the phrase is garbage, not the people saying it - most are simply repeating what they've been told. I apologize if you took it the other way as I didn't mean it in that way. Thick skins are needed when you can't hear inflections behind the words unfortunately

Shanna

My Pack:

post #29 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
SORRY! SHADE! Not shanna, what was I thinking hahah, sorry!
lol My name is Shanna so either is correct

Shanna

My Pack:

post #30 of 229 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

I've had a mix of purchased dogs and pound dogs and "other" (as in personal acquisition/rehome situation).

A reputable breeder looks to produce exceptional dogs - re temperment and health and assure the future of the breed.

The people that I see causing problems with "shelter" or pound dogs are the ones that breed without health clearances, without the goal of a "better dog". Like people who just let their animals breed with whomever is in season/available. Or people who do not care or well-meaning but ignorant people who put two "nice looking" "sweet" dogs together.

To me it is "right" to buy from a reputable breeder when you want to and can afford it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page