To breed or not to breed, that is the question... - Page 23 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 AM

I believe in giving a shelter dog a second chance I give to the ASPCA monthly.
But when you have a goal in mind as far as where you want to go with your dog you have to have a good start the right dog.
Being born and raised in Germany I grew up with German Shepherds my Grandfather used to breed them when I was a child I loved his dogs.
But I have to say there is a lot of garbage being breed and that is sad my Shepherd I imported him made it to 17 and no issues health wise.
I have seen some of the things that people offer as German Shepherd and I am not talking reputable breeders but people who look to make a buck and puppy mills.
Having said that if you know what you want from your dog than you know where to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBLADE View Post
I believe in giving a shelter dog a second chance I give to the ASPCA monthly.
How much of your donation goes to really help the animals? While I commend you for helping financially, the ASPCA and HSUS are paying out huge administrative salaries. I'd rather give funds to the small local shelters or rescues that put it right into helping the animals in my community.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #223 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Crowned Member

The ASPCA is a single shelter in NYC. Local shelters do not see any of the money donated. Give directly to your local shelter.

https://www.activistfacts.com/organi...animals-aspca/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Crowned Member

I agree about keeping money local to donate to your local shelters and rescues. Every time we see their commercial with the sad music, DH and I say, "Wow, what clean, large cages. That's a really nice shelter. Imagine pulling clean dogs from that kind of facility. Must be nice." Compared to the broken down, decrepit, filthy, over-croweded southern shelters we visit, where nearly every dog is covered in its own urine and feces....That one in that sad commercial looks like a pet spa to those of us visiting unfunded public shelters.

That said, it simply isn'ttrue that the ASPCA gives no money to other shelters. They have a robust grant program for shelters. They've funded an enormous number of transports of dogs from our local southern shelters up north. They also fund community speutering programs. You can find their grant program on their "Pro" site for shelters at the bottom:

ASPCA Professional | ASPCA Professional

They report as follows:
  • Since 2008, over $89 million has been granted
  • This is nearly 8,200 grants to date (as of September 30, 2015)
  • In 2014, the ASPCA awarded nearly 1,300 grants totaling $14.4 million to 850 organizations
The other big thing the ASPA does for other shelters is research into shelter protocol guidance. They're really the only one doing that kind of research. Some of it is helpful to shelter managers who literally have no idea how to run a shelter, manage disease, or disinfect properly. They are essentially the protocol-making body for most public shelters, since nobody else is doing it.

Some of their other work is less helpful. Their behaviorist/statistician makes my brain hurt. They developed the (badly designed) temperament test nearly all shelters use, and have online training for shelter employees to use it. They also research into adoption policies and are strongly advocating for open adoptions (= not saying "no" to anybody who wants a dog), adopting pets as gifts, etc. They claim this is data-driven, by looking at outcomes in shelters where this has been done, and that the outcomes are just as good as shelters who have adoption standards. To my thinking, their data-crunching is full of data-set bias, from what I can tell, selecting data that will omit all the problems. I keep telling them they're externalizing the costs of failed shelter adoptions to private rescues who have to deal with the messes the shelters create with these policies....and they keep ignoring me. I regularly post comments on their blog to point out the statistical errors, data bias, and outright falsehoods in her posts, and they never respond. I've even linked to pictures of the state of some of these "shelter adopted dogs" a year later--emaciated, demodex infested, HW positive when we got them from their previous "shelter adopters." Those pictures get ignored too.
sebrench likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-07-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #225 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Some of their other work is less helpful. Their behaviorist/statistician makes my brain hurt. They developed the (badly designed) temperament test nearly all shelters use, and have online training for shelter employees to use it. They also research into adoption policies and are strongly advocating for open adoptions (= not saying "no" to anybody who wants a dog), adopting pets as gifts, etc. They claim this is data-driven, by looking at outcomes in shelters where this has been done, and that the outcomes are just as good as shelters who have adoption standards. To my thinking, their data-crunching is full of data-set bias, from what I can tell, selecting data that will omit all the problems.
As someone with an academic background in research methodology, this makes my brain sad.
post #226 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
How much of your donation goes to really help the animals? While I commend you for helping financially, the ASPCA and HSUS are paying out huge administrative salaries. I'd rather give funds to the small local shelters or rescues that put it right into helping the animals in my community.
I didn't forget my local shelter I volunteer and give donations.
car2ner likes this.
post #227 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM

In an ideal world, there would be no shelter dogs. It would be cool if no one bought a dog until all shelter dogs had homes, right? Maybe someday, our entire country will get on board and declare a moratorium on breeding until all rescue dogs are neutered and have a home. I doubt it, but it could happen.

But until irresponsible breeding ends, it is wrong to expect people to get shelter/rescue dogs when they have specific needs and wants in a dog. For one thing, about 80% of the shelter dogs I see are short-haired dogs that look like they have hound or pit bull in their DNA. Those are specific types bred for specific purposes, and they do not make the right pet for many families. My sister has Coonhounds and does Coonhound and Bloodhound rescue. She cannot have small animals in her home--they will kill them (cats, bunnies, etc). That's ok with her, but it would not work for a lot of folks and would lead to the euthanizing of small animals that can't be placed in homes with some types of dogs.

Shelter and rescue dogs do not fit into every home. Many people get a puppy rather than an adult dog b/c they want to make sure it is safe with their family. An adult dog can have habits that do not fit with the family's life style and/or problem behaviors the family is not equipped to correct. How much time do folks need to spend trying to find a dog that is a right fit? And what about numerous placements for a dog that don't work out? That's not good for them, either.

Irresponsible breeding--not responsible breeding--is the problem.
Sabis mom and car2ner like this.
post #228 of 229 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 PM

My broken record is "people spend more time researching their next car or vacation than they do their next pet. The car will sit in the driveway a few years. The vacation will last a week. The dog will be sleeping on their couch for a decade, maybe more!"

Educated people would put mills out of business. They would be less likely to take home a shelter dog that didn't match their life. But people chose emotionally way to often, and that is how many place raise money...give bucks and you'll feel less guilty.

Which reminds me, our local shelter was looking for a new director. I hope they find someone wise. It's not an easy position.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #229 of 229 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:31 AM

I will never regret owning well bred animals, or doing my best to produce them. They are one of the finest joys in life. When I see someone starting out on the wrong foot, I generally try to give any help and advice I can, with no judgement. They'll do it anyway. Cherish the chance to be kind and educate :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page