Just out of curiosity, what did you think about gsds before owning one? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:07 PM

I never had a dog till I went away to college. My boyfriend bought a black gsd. I was blown away by its intelligence. It seemed like a human in a dogs body. 35 years later I am still an obsessed fan of the breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 PM

My expectations stem from stories of my fathers German Shepherd from 50 years ago: fearless, intelligent, obedient. The breed seems to have suffered over the years from breeders who valued appearance over temperament.
Orphan Heidi likes this.
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Elf
Banned

Always liked the breed since I was a child mostly because of the ears for one thing, and because of their jaw dropping intelligence, loyalty. Etc. My favorite breed use to be the Siberian Husky, but as I got older, many reasons changed that.. The main reason why, was because of my family friend who owned 3 GSD's and a Shiloh Shepherd, 2 of the GSD's were all black, the last one was a rich bi-color which I absolutely loved... The rich bi-color one named Zain was a big teddy bear, a big gentlemen... Absolutely amazing with kids and people, he never barked, he never growled, he never did any of that. He was friendly to everyone (very quiet), and approached everyone so kindly, strangers included... Unless his owner (our family friend) was suspicious of someone he would be very suspicious and protecting.

Years back, we were allowed to take care of Zain.. and my mom's friend (who's also a family friend) took care of the other two GSD's and Shiloh Shepherd... Because our family friend was hospitalized because of breast cancer, originally.. She was planning on leaving her dogs in the house by themselves... Until she got out, but I had begged my mom to allow us to take care of them, which she agreed to, so they came home with us.. That's when I truly fell in love with the Shepherd breed. As I got older I got Leo (seen in my profile picture), because I loved Zain so much.. Leo is also the same colour and coat as Zain.

That's what happen, always a lover from a start. Now, a proud owner, also a breeder.. I love shepherds so much, that I'll breed once in a while as a hobby, not for profits, and to improve the breed.

Honestly, amazing dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Beautiful. Ultimate show dog. Amazing pet. Great working dog.
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 AM

To be honest, I didn't have any personal experience with them. I got one based on their physical and behavioral characteristics. I didn't have a particular affection for the breed. It was kind of like an arranged marriage!

Basically I have always been interested in big dogs, but giant breeds were out because of lifespan. I have always been interested in a dog who could help protect me, but because I have a family and live in neighborhood that has kids, I certainly wanted one who could integrate into that situation. I also appreciate intelligence (in both animals and people) and was attracted to their reputation in that department.

The weirdest thing, maybe, is that I did have a slight negative perception of them in terms of their aggression and power, from all the media and the association with military and police applications. With Jupie being five months old, this is still a factor in my feelings about him. If he bites or acts aggressively, that idea is still in my mind. If your Chihuahua decides to take you on, that's comedy, if your GSD decides to do so, it's tragedy. It's ironic, of course, because this is the other side of wanting a dog who could conceivably help out in a pinch.

But what we got is a velcro dog, very smart, incredibly strong great at training, stubborn and independent, but he seems to be getting a bit more snuggly and affectionate. He's my buddy.
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:21 PM

I grew up around dogs. My parents had pugs and we had a neighbor who had a GSD. I never had any fear of him and loved playing with him.

In the third grade I got 3 A's and 2 B's on a report card and my dad said I could have anything I wanted. At first I wanted a dog like Snoopy because I always thought Snoopy was pretty cool.

I settled on a GSD/Huskey mix.

In the first pic our neighbors had a pool and they (2 brothers) were pretty handy and created a gate in the fence where we could go through with mom to go swimming during the hot Texas summers. Champ was watching us swim and play.

Because I was young I think it was more I was his boy than he was my dog. One time I remember we walked to a 7-11 about 1.5 miles away and I let him stay outside the store while I went in and bought baseball cards and a slurpy. I didn't tie him up or anything he just waited for me and then we walked home.

Lots of good memories with him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_214130.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	519341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_211444.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	519343  
Nigel and wolfy dog like this.

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page