Just out of curiosity, what did you think about gsds before owning one? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Crowned Member

I thought they only came in black/tan or white and I am not a fan of either color so I really didn't care for them much. I heard great things about the breed and I knew that they were smart, easy to train, large, intimidating and powerful but I didn't like the looks of them.

Then I saw a black GSD on tv and that was it, I had to have one.

Now I love blacks, bicolors and sables but I appreciate a nice dark red/black GSD.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 AM
SBS

"Just out of curiosity, what did you think about gsds before owning one?"
My father brought a GSD pup home that was born on the exact same day as me. So I do not have any memories prior to owning one. My grandparents had them, my parents had them, and now I've already had a few of them myself. Since early childhood they have always been my favorite.
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 PM

I was afraid of them and didn't really want to get close to one.

As a kid, we had a next door neighbor who had two huge males. They jumped the fence and chased my sister and I across our yard barking and snarling and nipping at us. My sister was bit, I got away ok. (not sure how, my memory is fuzzy. I do remember a lot of slobber though...)

They ended up having the dogs put down after that incident.

It wasn't until I met my husband that I turned around and now love them. My husband had a 10 year old GSD when I met him. He was the most gentle and loving dog I've ever met. RIP C-Zar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

I thought they were magnificent dogs that were unbelievably smart and loyal to their family.
However, I also know there were nervy ones out there, so I never had the courage to approach someone with a GSD. I now do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 PM

I like good dogs any which way, but growing up with GSDs and GSD/Xs there was never really any other choice.
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Knighted Member

Always heard stories about how unpredictable and aggressive they were. A gsd was the last type of dog that i ever thought id own and was very happy with my little toy breeds. Now, I can't imagine not owning one.

Dexter Bartolomeo -GSD (approx 3 1/2 years)
Fluffy Cornelius - Maltipoo rescue (approx 8yrs)
Squeezette Antoinette- Shih Tzu (17 yrs)
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 PM

I always thought they were smart and majestic looking. However, I was nervous about owning a big dog! Our pup is not grown yet, but I am enjoying him very much. And I was right, he is a smart and majestic animal!
I've enjoyed the tv show "Saving Private K-9" about heroic military and police dogs. Often, they are GSD's. It makes me like the breed even more.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Elite Member

Well, I never viewed them as being viscous beasts. I had family members with GSDs, and they were all very athletic, intelligent, and friendly. Young children could play with them.
I've always admired their appearance and elegant movements.

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 12:57 AM

After having my daughter, I was a bit put off by any dog that had the propensity to bite. It's just the parental/mom thing. My priority was not taking any chances.

Then I researched a little and I feel differently now.

EDA- by propensity to bite, I mean do serious damage like a large dog. however, I would have had no problem whatsoever killing any dog that snapped at my kid. I've lightened up a little since she was an infant
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 AM

I used to think they werent really a pet. Where I grew up, they weren't very common as a pet. Occasionally I would see one as a guard dog. And of course Their reputation as a police dog certainly made me think they were more dog than i could handle. I just wanted a pet. Just a normal average pet owner, not one to put a dog in the yard, but I'm not into revolving my life around a dog either. So I didn't really think about it much.
Then years later I wanted my own dog and looked into different breeds and saw people like me keeping them as pets. I just kept trying to learn more, but wasnt sure since I had no intention of showing or joining a training club. Tried to meet a few and just really was impressed by everything about them. Haven't looked back!

Vega, Shiloh Shepherd, b 1/12/15
Phoenixx, Shiloh shepherd, b 10/29/15
Gryphon, Shiloh Shepherd,b 3/9/14
Dasher, GSD, 9 years
RIP,Sasha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page