Just out of curiosity, what did you think about gsds before owning one? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

From childhood (8 years old)on I have always wanted one and never understood where that came from. But I never could have imagined that they would be this awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

Never gave them much thought, my wife wanted them.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

I didn't think much of them. I got bit in the head by one when I was a kid, then all I really saw were AKC shows and the dogs entered there. It wasn't till I had contact with nice WL dogs, that I decided I liked them and wanted one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Have always loved them. My childhood best friend had a white male. Didn't know he was a GSD then *I was 5* and he was the best dog. Fell even harder for the breed after watching a K9 demo at Spring Spree back home in Colorado. Dog was vicious on the field. Off the field I was flattened by the same dog so he could slobber kisses all over my face and then rolled over for belly rubs. Recently learned that my grandfather who died well before I was born was actually a K9 handler in Vietnam so GSDs are basically in my blood lol.

I cant imagine not having a GSD in the house.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Reaper" Timelord z Weberhaus 6/7/2017
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
I never thought about GSD. My mom tells the story of Princess (GSD) who carried me around by my dungarees as a toddler. We had 15 dogs then, so I have no memory of her. 40 years later a friend of mine rescued a 6 month old GSD from being chained up outdoors alone all day. He had to out of town on business a few days later and asked me to stay with Ivan. I had gotten along with his pit bull and I assumed I could handle Ivan. I fell in love with him and the breed. We played for hours on end. He loved me because I later learned that Ivan was suppose to get 1/3 a can of dog food with his dry. For the week I was his momma, he got a whole can a day. I could not understand why he poop 3 to 4 times on a walk. That was in March and before I knew it God got the ball rolling and introduced me to a breeder/trainer. Fiona was born in May and I brought her home in August. Best gift ever! I went 40+ years without one. Torture.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Knighted Member

I loved them. My next door neighbor had 2 - a female and when she died a male. The female was so lovely, the male so stupid, but I felt if I owned him he'd be a much better dog. The neighbors basically left him in the yard and never walked him or interacted with him.

As a young teen, my father allowed the crew he worked with at a large lumber warehouse to adopt a stray GSD family. It was a bad neighborhood and eventually they were all shot, but the youngest acted as my guardian angel one time without even knowing me.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 PM

Owning GSDs was always something I wanted to do... despite parents that distrusted the breed due to many bad experiences like seeing my cousin get badly bitten in the face by one.

My good friend lived on a farm nearby and had a GSD named Rev - every time I went over to visit he met me at the border of their property and gave me a light nip on the leg or backside to let me know he was there... you'd think I'd be afraid of Rev? Nope, I thought he was the coolest dog ever. Those kids and the farm were something he loved and protected with all his heart, no one ever got on the property without Rev's watchful eye on them. Although I did finally get smart and ask my friend to meet me at the property line to let Rev know I was OK, never had an issue with him after that.

My best friend's family had 2 GSDs, they were the best kid dogs ever. They even fought off a pack of Huskies that attacked and tried to kill the family's poodle mix - it was 2 GSDs against 6 Huskies but guess who won and successfully defended their pack? One of their GSDs made such an impression that I named one of our current GSDs after him.

So yeah, GSDs were something I always knew I'd have, and I'm rewarded daily with 4 of them.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I was terrified of GSD for a good part of my young adult life. Having been "attacked" by 2 GSD on 3 occasions, I would literally hide when they can into the pet store I worked at.

Then I got a dog, pitx, from the pound and took her to a training class for dog aggression. The trainer had GSD. The most amazing well trained GSD. He did SchH. I fell in love. Wanted to do SchH. Decided I could only do that with a GSD.

So I bought one. Got her BH, then did SAR. Best dog ever. And made me love the breed. Started fostering. And it's all downhill from there.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Knighted Member

Loved them for as long as I can remember, I think because of the RinTinTin TV show, and Roy Rogers' dog Bullet. Okay, so I am really dating myself with those admissions!

Susan
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:26 AM

I grew up in farm country, and a lot of folks had farm dogs, most were GSDs. I was familiar, but no real contact until, as a kid, I was working at the Humane Society, and two sable GSDs came in and were pts because they were killing lambs. They were beautiful and I'll never forget that big old farmer crying when the animal control guy told him they were being destroyed. Never owned one, had a lot of other dogs, usually mutts, then huskies for years. Always said I could not tolerate a stupid breed, and then I finally got one and am completely floored by the intelligence and the bond between him and the family. Now I get why that old guy cried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page