Is this the perception of German Sheherds today? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Most people gush over my boy and say he's gorgeous. But they don't run up and grab him like they do with my goldens. I prefer it, to be honest. I'd rather be left alone. That said, the reactions to him are over all extremely positive, as well as respectful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:51 PM

I have only been around loving GSDs, 1st time owner, 8 month extremely well socialized puppy. I have NEVER heard an aggressive growl or indication that he is considering actual aggressive action, EVER. He gets into the "dominance play" at the dog park sometimes--sometimes as far as attempting to "mount" mostly other young boys--I normally "let it go" as long as both/all dogs have their tails up and appear to be having fun--if tails go between legs or he actually starts humping motions, I immediately remove him from park/all fun for 15 seconds, so it doesn't become habitual behavior. But that's the CLOSEST I've seen to anything remotely resembling aggression (pretty remote at that). He's GREAT at the vet's--he actually gets excited b/c there's other dogs to interact/play with (he's very dog affectionate/motivated).

Recently, a small child ran up to him in Petco. He jumped and scratched the child on the lip, there was a tiny drop of blood. We ARE working in jumping!! After apologies/sympathy, explanation, everything seemed "cool". Then the store clerk told me the mother had told her my puppy BIT her child!! What BS!!!

I hear A LOT of stories about people afraid of GSDs who claim they were "bitten" as children....and now I'm doubting the veracity, as I think childhood "memories" and perceptions can get VERY skewed by excitement, fear, parental reaction!!!

I feel terrible my boy may have created such a "future story". Last week, he enjoyed being petted and given treats by two small girls in Home Depot, after they asked if they could pet him. I warned them he sometimes tries to jump, controlled the situation, made him lay down first, IT WAS GREAT😄. Two encounters with very young, somewhat timid puppies this week (my boy is 91 lbs), he was excited to sniff/play with them, but I got him to go into "down" position first so they wouldn't be intimidated. He is beginning to go "down" on his own around very small dogs & puppies, I'm very proud.

Curious to read rest of thread, wondering other's perceptions. I don't think GSDs are naturally aggressive.
car2ner likes this.

Last edited by Karina&Andreas; 03-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #83 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Master Member

Actually they are bred to be protective, which is expressed through aggression. It depends on if the dog's protective instincts are appropriate. I am comfortable taking my dog into stores and letting children and women pet him. He has shown some mistrust to males strangers before, probably picking up on some subtle fear signs they are putting off.. The decoy at our club can take my dog's leash if he is giving me some tips in obedience. Recently, my dog was in the van in the crate and my wife had a flat tire. When the AAA guy showed up to fix the tire, he had to get right next to the crate to remove a part holding the spare tire under the van and my dog went ballistic. I think his response was appropriate because a total stranger came directly into his space. He is also protective when people are walking down the road along the fence line. He doesn't go ballistic, but immediately goes to the fence and barks to let them know that the yard is his turf. We have a couple who are neighbors who walk their beagle every evening and when he sees them, he happily runs to see their dog and does not display aggression toward them. So ideally, there should be an element of discernment, the aggression should be confident, and GSDs are not Labradors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karina&Andreas View Post
I have only been around loving GSDs, 1st time owner, 8 month extremely well socialized puppy. I have NEVER heard an aggressive growl or indication that he is considering actual aggressive action, EVER. He gets into the "dominance play" at the dog park sometimes--sometimes as far as attempting to "mount" mostly other young boys--I normally "let it go" as long as both/all dogs have their tails up and appear to be having fun--if tails go between legs or he actually starts humping motions, I immediately remove him from park/all fun for 15 seconds, so it doesn't become habitual behavior. But that's the CLOSEST I've seen to anything remotely resembling aggression (pretty remote at that). He's GREAT at the vet's--he actually gets excited b/c there's other dogs to interact/play with (he's very dog affectionate/motivated).

Recently, a small child ran up to him in Petco. He jumped and scratched the child on the lip, there was a tiny drop of blood. We ARE working in jumping!! After apologies/sympathy, explanation, everything seemed "cool". Then the store clerk told me the mother had told her my puppy BIT her child!! What BS!!!

I hear A LOT of stories about people afraid of GSDs who claim they were "bitten" as children....and now I'm doubting the veracity, as I think childhood "memories" and perceptions can get VERY skewed by excitement, fear, parental reaction!!!

I feel terrible my boy may have created such a "future story". Last week, he enjoyed being petted and given treats by two small girls in Home Depot, after they asked if they could pet him. I warned them he sometimes tries to jump, controlled the situation, made him lay down first, IT WAS GREAT😄. Two encounters with very young, somewhat timid puppies this week (my boy is 91 lbs), he was excited to sniff/play with them, but I got him to go into "down" position first so they wouldn't be intimidated. He is beginning to go "down" on his own around very small dogs & puppies, I'm very proud.

Curious to read rest of thread, wondering other's perceptions. I don't think GSDs are naturally aggressive.
Your dog is only 8 months old. He has yet to mature. German Shepherds are genetically bred to be aloof and to have a degree of aggression which usually starts to appear at one to two years of age. Don't set your dog up for failure by being complacent thinking that this is your dog's mature temperament and that he won't buy a stranger in the future under the same circumstances.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page