Is this the perception of German Sheherds today? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

i wish gsd would become less less popular. would weed out the undesirable breeders and owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i wish gsd would become less less popular. would weed out the undesirable breeders and owners.
I agree!

I am so happy that the Dalmatian breed is unpopular, I wish the GSD was as well.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

I see all breeds of dogs in my grooming salon, and let me tell you, GSDs have not been the biggest biters... in fact, I've never been bitten by a GSD. Never been bitten by a Pit Bull either. Lhasa Apsos and Miniature Poodles have been the worst offenders. Anything with short legs (Dachshund, Basset, Corgi, short-legged Terriers) have a tendency to bite when their feet are handled. I won't even touch a Chow because of the propensity for biting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Lhasa Apsos and Miniature Poodles have been the worst offenders. Anything with short legs (Dachshund, Basset, Corgi, short-legged Terriers) have a tendency to bite when their feet are handled. I won't even touch a Chow because of the propensity for biting.
Yeah this. The "little" guys are badly underestimated! To my mind a dog that has no fear ion getting in the face of dog 10 times or more says something about there "attitude" as well as there lack of common sense!

Train them like the Big Dawgs they think they are would be motto!

GSD and K9 bites would certainly skew the numbers,interesting point!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

as i have experienced perceptions of GSDs in my neighborhood is kinda high. i rarely take my dogs for a walk without at least one "beautiful dogs" comment. i live in a neighborhood with almost all multifamily buildings/apartments. 80% of dogs here are small dogs and those people usually don't trust my dogs even though my dogs walk past keeping a good heel and their dogs are always barking and pulling towards us. i don't think anybody around here trains their little dogs. i also love hearing the comment made by people to their dogs "why can't you leave his dogs alone, his doge are being good". i'm also like larry david, i hate stop and chats. say nice dogs and let me keep walking. some people like to stop and ask about the dogs, tell you about their dead dogs and keep going. please stop!

here's a graph with all the reported dog bites, i'm sure ankle biters have bit more ankles but they prolly don't get reported.

i do have a problem with it. it should be in order by likelihood of being bit be each breed. looking at total dog population looks like you have a 100X better chance running into a GSD than a mastiff but they have the same amount of bites which in my eyes makes it 100X more likely of being bit if you come across a mastiff than a GSD..

Last edited by scarfish; 05-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Crowned Member

Interesting chart. Looks to me like the most deadly dog is a Husky, if you look at the ratio of kills to the overall bites reported for this breed.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i do have a problem with it. it should be in order by likelihood of being bit be each breed. looking at total dog population looks like you have a 100X better chance running into a GSD than a mastiff but they have the same amount of bites which in my eyes makes it 100X more likely of being bit if you come across a mastiff than a GSD..
Again, quoting the statistics collected by the insurance folks - these two breeds are on the opposite sides of the spectrum: the GSD is most likely to bite and the Golden Retriever is least likely to bite.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Hmm well not wanting to derail wherever this thread is going? I gotta say a Bull Mastiff and a Persa Canario are not even remotely the same dog??

And you can't argue with numbers but to have a Boxer doing damage to people?? You have to be a class A Moron!!

As a Bull/Mastiff/APBT/Lab and Boxer/Pit, Boxer owner.. dogs who never had people issues and countless people loving Boxers I know,. I'm comfortable with my statements in "this" regard!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

[QUOTE=Chip18;5527273]Hmm well not wanting to derail wherever this thread is going? I gotta say a Bull Mastiff and a Persa Canario are not even remotely the same dog??

And you can't argue with numbers but to have a Boxer doing damage to people?? You have to be a class A Moron!!

[\QUOTE]

I agree. Bullmastiff and Presa are very different.

As for the boxer thing. They are one of the breeds I don't trust as a tech. We have more nasty than nice Boxers that come to my clinic. Serious bite inflicting boxers. Male boxers to be exact. The females are generally lovely. The males, it's a rare thing to have a nice one. At least in my experience.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Banned

[quote=gsdsar;5527337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Hmm well not wanting to derail wherever this thread is going? I gotta say a Bull Mastiff and a Persa Canario are not even remotely the same dog??

[\QUOTE]

I agree. Bullmastiff and Presa are very different.

As for the boxer thing. They are one of the breeds I don't trust as a tech. We have more nasty than nice Boxers that come to my clinic. Serious bite inflicting boxers. Male boxers to be exact. The females are generally lovely. The males, it's a rare thing to have a nice one. At least in my experience.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Wow I have to say I am stunnded!!
I know a male in Virgina City and you can play bitey face with his lower jaw all day and he never,makes contact with his upper jaw with your hand! That's a Boxer! But it's just like pitts, a bad owner can screw up any breed!

My girl had no issues with people whatsoever so maybe the girls are harder to screw up?? Someone on here had said something similar about "bad attitudes" with male English Mastiffs?? Hope it's not a Trend!!???

And the Persa Canario...yeah just gonna say ..not a dog for fools!!!

Last edited by Chip18; 05-16-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in