Is this the perception of German Sheherds today? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 AM
Crowned Member

One of my first personal experiences with a pure bred GSD was when I worked at the vet and the vet owned one. He name was Mike and he was beautiful. My son would come to work with me and spend the whole shift in the back area playing ball with that dog. At the end of the shift the dog would bring my son back to me all tired out. That dog never left my sons side when he was there. It was a great experience for my son. My own dogs have that same personality and I often think of Mike.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
My coworkers hate GSDS because most are poorly bred, poor handled, poorly trained. This equals fearful and bitey. Before people on this board argue, keep in mind that the very fact someone is on this board makes them above the norm. I've met few shepherds in the public world I would call "stable" or "well trained". Most of them I wouldn't trust not to bite me.

my german shepherds are held in high regards in my work place, well above the expected norm.

GSDS are NOT top biters though. That would go to dachshunds, chihuahuas, Jack Russells, cocker spaniels, through a study done that questioned thousands of owners and people that work in the animal industry.

The 3 Most Aggressive Dog Breeds | Care2 Healthy Living

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I have two nicely bred very stable GSDs. However, I always muzzle my male at the vet. I really don't care what the perception is. There is something about the fact that the vets office always insists on a thermometer being stuck up his butt every time we go there that makes him want to chew their faces off.
asibley likes this.
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do if my GSDs couldn't be handled by other people. Or if I had to warn people to keep their distance because I was afraid they would bite. I've tried to stack that in my favor, by buying dogs with good temperaments. I'm lucky that I've personally known several of the dogs in my dogs' pedigrees.

I frequently take one of the dogs to Petsmart or Petco to get toys, and I almost always see a kid with their parent nervously staring at us. I always ask them if they want to pet my dog, and they usually say yes. If I have Carly with me, I warn them that she will probably lick them in the face because she absolutely loves kids.

A few years ago, I left with Sage to go get dog food. Carly apparently threw a fit when I left, and opened two gates and was waiting for me in the driveway when I pulled up. I almost had a heart attack when I saw her out (and now we have locks on the gates, so miss houdini can't open them). Two little neighbor kids were out front with her, with a frisbee full of food, trying to catch her. The little girl said "she's very nice, but she won't let us catch her". Then asked me if she was a police dog. Apparently she wasn't intimidated by the "nice police dog".

I recently had Russell, who is a big, confident boy, at the local dog food store to get microchipped. They were running a clinic to raise money for rescue. I filled out the paperwork, and then handed him off to the people to be chipped (I know these people, Russell has never seen them before). They asked me if they could take him in the other room to do it, and then started walking off with him. He turned around to look at me, I told him it's okay, and he just trotted off with them. They were back in two minutes, Russell was all micro-chipped up, and they said "he's such a nice boy". Yes. He is.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

I know people who were bit by GSDs. I had lady come in to my work recently for some xrays of her arm and she told me it was from a dog attack and when I asked her what kind of dog it was she said GSD.

My neighborhood associates GSDs with the police so they are afraid of my GSD and I PREFER it that way since I live in a bad neighborhood. Mostly though I hear great things about GSDs, people usually tell me about how they used to have one and it was the best dog ever.

The 3 Vets that have seen Sinister all compliment me on how well behaved he is, how smart he is and how in shape he is. My current Vet told me that they have a lot of GSDs that come in and they usually have to muzzle several of them, some have fear issues, some are just plain aggressive and most of them are overweight.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
GSDS are NOT top biters though. That would go to dachshunds, chihuahuas, Jack Russells, cocker spaniels, through a study done that questioned thousands of owners and people that work in the animal industry. ...
Not going into the argument what breed is the top biter. Just wandering if anyone who owns a dog from any of the breed above had denied a homeonwers insurance?
It happened to me by two insurance Co. and the 3rd had offered an evaluation. (No dog bites/claims records from my household ever) At the end I went with the "Don't ask, don't tell" ins co.
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
Not going into the argument what breed is the top biter. Just wandering if anyone who owns a dog from any of the breed above had denied a homeonwers insurance?
It happened to me by two insurance Co. and the 3rd had offered an evaluation. (No dog bites/claims records from my household ever) At the end I went with the "Don't ask, don't tell" ins co.
No, they normally do not put small dogs on homeowner's insurance plans. They put the larger, more powerful breeds on there because they inflict more damage. That is why you see GSDs, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chow Chows, Siberian Huskies, Malamutes. Dalmatians, Akitas, Pitbulls, Wolf hybrids and anything mixed with those breeds.

My insurance said they would not insure me if I had a Rottweiler, Akita, Chow Chow, Pitbull or Wolf Hybrid or anything mixed with those breeds.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Crowned Member

Most gsds that come through here are nervy messes.
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg
Children/kids are a product of their environment, just like our dogs and their dogs. I think the kid sounded intelligent enough to know, not to run up, startle the dog, trying to pet the dog, without dialog, so the kid should be commended for that > !

Run from a Rottie, they will chase you down. Look a Dobie in the eye hard, it could get upset. Have your mailman carry; "Beef Jerky" in his or her mailbag and it could save them a trip to the emergency room.

A treat for a dog owner is to find the best suited performance the dog can give to society, and play on that strong point. I spoke with a pro K-9 dog handler/trainer last night in detail. See, I am not having difficulty in the training > I wish to do the best for the dog and I feel I found where my dog does the best in a social situation. You can't change the minds of the masses, so you need to play on the animal's strengths.

My dog seems to light up the face of this 68 -75 year old man who walks in my neighborhood. I want my dog to help heal the people who are needy or needing some; "animal emotional support." The decision has pretty much been made for Isabella, she is going to be a; "Therapy Dog," the best I can do on my own, for she will bring happiness in to a; "somewhat empty" world where just a little extra attention, to a stranger on the street, to give that; "kindness needed" to bring a smile to someone's face, not to change the World, because nobody can. 25 years from now, Pit-Bulls may still carry a bad reputation as some dog's invoke fear in humans, I want to do the opposite.

My dog will protect her family, that's a given.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo39.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	209609  
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

My first experience with a GSD was when I was 2ish, I dont remember but I have all the pics of me and my sitters GSD, claire said he would wait for my mom by the door everyday to drop me off, then he would not leave my side all day. I have pics of me laying in claires bed for a nap with him right beside me. I would say he was very tolerant of me, I finger painted him at one point, He was black and tan and blue and yellow. Claire had told my mom that she planned to keep him away from me because he hadnt been around kids but he clung to me from day one. Maybe it was the constant trail of snacks I had lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Knighted Member

According to a friend of mine golden retrievers are responsible for more dog bites then GSDs because they have been so overbred. Jasira is friendly with people and I have no problems with her at the vet. Xerxes is a big softy. A little girl came up to pet him at the dog class and he practically rolled on his belly loving it so much. LOL Neither of my dogs have a shy bone in their body. They do tend to bark at people going by but that's just their guarding instinct. ( Xerxes even chased the robins out of HIS yard. LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page