Ever felt like you failed a dog? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
...It reminded me of the guilt I still carry with one of our dogs we had when I was in 5th grade. Her name was Fica- she was a poodle terrier mix and looked like a medium sized Irish wolf hound. We had adopted her and had her only about a year. This was back in the day where kids roamed free my best friend, sister, myself and Fica my dog would ride our bikes around the neighborhood. Fica was often off leash. She would always ride by my side and not wander...

...Even though I was just a kid I still feel very guilty going on that busy road without a leash and calling her without looking back. I still can cry a river over her even so many years later.
I can see how this memory would upset you even now but as you say, you were a child. You would've been about ten, I think. Fica clearly loved you and your tears honour her memory. I hope the guilt you feel has grown gentler with time.

For myself, I wish I'd known about pain management with my first dog, my beagle boy. I thought he was slowing down from age. I took him in regularly to my vet for checkups but somehow, I ended up losing him suddenly due to multiple organ failure (he was 12). I took him in because he was a bit off with eating and casually mentioned something else which sent my vet into alert. I knew then something big was wrong. When he phoned with the test results, I cried and cried. I asked for one more day with him. My vet clearly didn't think that was a good idea but said yes. Knowing what I know now, I shouldn't have taken the risk of putting my dog in pain but back then I just couldn't face the reality right away.

I did manage to think ahead to discuss and pay for the procedure in advance. That was when they suggested pain medication. When I gave him the first dose, he turned into a puppy, so playful and energetic. We had a fabulous, heartbreaking day together. It could've been a rally but it still hurts my heart to think pain must've contributed to him slowing down. How long was he in pain? Days? Months? Longer? I don't know.

I'm far more proactive with my dogs now because of him.

Last edited by MissChloe; 12-17-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Miss Chloe- thank you. I do think of all the fun times and have learned from my mistake with a great cost but was an accident. When our four legged friend passes away tragically, suddenly, old age etc I think there is much guilt and thought of how we could of did things different. Yes experiences with our pets teach us many things and we must also know so many things are not in our control.Parting is very painful but to cherish the good times helps to heal.
post #63 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:16 PM

All I can say is I WILL NEVER PUT A DOG ON A CHAIN AND LEAVE HIM OUTSIDE WITH AN IGLOO DOG HOUSE AND A BOWL OF DOGFOOD (outside dog)--NOT COOL! Dogs needs love and attentions and be able to interact with their love ones. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!
slippednfell likes this.

KillRbee18
Titan ("The greatest GS ever!")
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page