Ever felt like you failed a dog? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

I should have had them remove my first lab's leg instead of saving it with the steel plate. He was hit by a car and broke his femur cleanly. He died at 6 from osteosarcoma that developed exactly at the site of the repair. Might have saved him, might not, trying to think positively of it and at least he was able to run hard for those six years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, in the way past I had a sweet GSD protection trained (boarding/training) per advice of a police man after the dog had let burglars in. It ruined him as he bit a child and wounded the boy. At that time I didn't know what I know now and every trainer I consulted told me to put him down and I did. It is the worst failure to any of my dogs. None of my GSDs , present and future, will ever go that route again. That pain never goes away.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM

I do feel like that sometimes. Phoenix is very well socialized with dogs, and really doesn't mind them. People are another story. He hasn't been quite as aggressive lately, but still. He has genetic aggression (backyard breeder... Bad move, but I love him sooo much!) from his mother, and was in what I would call a rat hole for a puppy pen.
Anyway...
I thought I socialized the heck out of him, but I must not have done enough, because he is terribly territorial, and protective of me and our property. He likes people who are not afraid of him, but his name is mud in our community. Minus his aggression, he is exactly what I could have possibly hoped for, but... I feel like I failed him big time on the socialization mark.
Yep.

Phoenix, my love, protector and friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sled dogs, my Pack: Kara, Ruby, Riley, Juneau, Koda, Tala, Sage, Jack (not counting my family's dogs!)
Horse: Romeo, Mustang.
+ Donkey, more dogs, chickens, goats, cats and more dogs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGuardian View Post
I do feel like that sometimes. Phoenix is very well socialized with dogs, and really doesn't mind them. People are another story. He hasn't been quite as aggressive lately, but still. He has genetic aggression (backyard breeder... Bad move, but I love him sooo much!) from his mother, and was in what I would call a rat hole for a puppy pen.
Anyway...
I thought I socialized the heck out of him, but I must not have done enough, because he is terribly territorial, and protective of me and our property. He likes people who are not afraid of him, but his name is mud in our community. Minus his aggression, he is exactly what I could have possibly hoped for, but... I feel like I failed him big time on the socialization mark.
Yep.
But at least he is alive.....
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

Yes. Im sure I have failed them all at some point.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

I rehomed a Great Dane once but I don't feel like that was a failure but a perfect success. After the honeymoon period of like 6 months she decided wanted to eat our senior female Shepherd. It was crate and rotate for months. A friend of ours female Great Dane Passed away and their male was lonely. They met our Great Dane and it was love at first site between the two dogs and with the people. So we gave her up to a better home for her than we were.

I did fail with a dog once. It's how I found this forum. After Shadow died we were offered from the breeder a 2 year old that had been returned to her that had washed out of SAR training. I don't know what we were expecting but we screwed it up big time. She bonded with me on the drive home but when I got home she was aggressive with my husband wouldn't bond to him at all, after a month of trying different things and going to a trainer I gave up. Wound up taking her back to the breeder.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

I'm struggling with my dads dog. He just doesn't seem to fit completely in and I haven't really bonded with him it is not his fault, it's mine. I made a promise to him and I need to get it together. I'm hoping that once I start him in obedience classes things will change. He is just so energetic and doesn't understand his role in the pack and likes to push Midnites buttons. I foresee a fight in their future if he doesn't get some manners quick, again my fault. I stay on top of it and watch them carefully. Hopefully with age and school he will tone it down a bit. I do find that I enjoy spending one on one time with him. He is learning how to be loveable. He also has learned how to catch a ball and bring it back. I can see in his eyes that he wants and needs to feel accepted and I will get us there eventually. Geez writing this makes me feel guilty and I gotta go play with him...

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

Llombardo I feel guilty for you that is so sad.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM

My boy Shay -- it was supposed to be me and him roaming the world together adventuring as we desired. It started out great, but I had to go to Stanford when my dad had brain surgery for cancer. We were near the CalTrain tracks when a train went by full speed and scared him SO much. Then I got a special emergency approval to take him home on AmTrak due to an emergency at home compounding the emergency of my dad and had literally NO way home. On AmTrak, some guy grabbed him by the collar and scared him SO much. He was about 14 months old at the time and it just stuck like glue. He is afraid of buses/trucks/diesels/trains and strange men. We went to dog class and basic was okay, but we went to intermediate and there were three dogs that tried to attack him. Now he is beyond fearful of dogs (even the ones on DogTV). He's happy and loving at home and doing things like hiking and camping but he's so fearful. I added the sheltie because she's solid for roaming the world with and my husband has taken over my shepherd's heart (both homebodies). I think, though, he could have lived without the sheltie. She took over and he is not #1 anymore. If I could go back in time, I would go back to about this time 2012 and do everything over. We were on the right track to that point.

Cara -- Central CA
+ Shay -- GSD
+Melody Rose & Cubby Shelties
Old 04-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Failing all along the way...I am....always learning however....

It's pretty true, many would agree...I hope...the more you learn and truly become aware, you simply find yourself in the same position...there is so much more to learn hence failure is always available.

Dogs have so much to offer....no limits, so it seems at times...it's all up to the human to take it where it ends up.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in