Where does your love for dogs/GSDs come from? - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 AM

I took it from my uncle,when i was a kid i used to visit my grandparents a lot ,my uncle had his house near them and he loves GSDs
First GSD of his was Sindy,died of old age, i don't remember much about her,just that you could not ride your bike around her,when the wheels were spinning she just had to chew them.
After Sindy died,i remember him getting Max ,i was there when he bought him,and took him to the vet,he died of old age as well.
Now i got Odin,my first GSD ,but surely not the last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 05:27 AM

I've been blessed to have a few really good dogs in my life, starting as a kid and up through now. As I started getting into IPO and now man-trailing I've been listening to more and more dog training podcasts. It is amazing how much you can learn about just life in general while listening to these trainers work through the best ways to communicate with our dogs.
Aly likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #123 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I've been blessed to have a few really good dogs in my life, starting as a kid and up through now. As I started getting into IPO and now man-trailing I've been listening to more and more dog training podcasts. It is amazing how much you can learn about just life in general while listening to these trainers work through the best ways to communicate with our dogs.
Can you list a few of your favorite podcasts, @car2ner?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

I grew up with dogs so did my siblings though are not dog crazy so I believe it’s in the blood. Ginger was my first dog in kindergarten I was I remember teaching her tricks. Lol! She was an older dog and I remember using many treats. She humores me as much as could. She was not spayed and at the time everyone let their dogs run loose it was crazy. I would try to get my parents to keep some of the male dogs with fail-that would visit the house some would actually try to break into the house. My parents were not active with any of the dogs that we had. I remember it was me who did things with the dog at a very early age and only having access to learn things through books at the time. They often accompanied me on many ventures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #125 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:35 AM

I was promised a puppy when I was 10 but I had to research, select and find my own. There was a litter of German Shepherds for $15 each (this was in the 70's) and I got my first GSD pup "Heidi". She was my constant companion and guardian angel through my childhood. I had a rough rough childhood and she was there - super intuitive, leaned into me on bad days etc. Unfortunately, her hips were so bad that I had to have her put down when she was 8 and I was 18.

I just did not have the heart to get another GSD until this past year. I've had rough collies, danes, mastiffs and a sheltie. 8 years ago, my wife left me with 6 kids and during that hellish process, I promised myself that I would get myself the "dream dog" when I got through the worst of it. Last Spring I got "Winston", a then 4.5 month old GSD. He was exactly what I wanted: European bred, large, plush coat, black and red. He is the most challenging dog I've ever had but I am extremely attached and love him dearly. I think he has spent FAR too much time with me as he is basically obsessed and follows me around the house constantly. Ha.
post #126 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:37 AM

I also do think that it's in your blood as an individual thing. None of my siblings are crazy about dogs and I have loved all kinds of animals my entire life. I've had dogs, cats, horses, goats, rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese.
post #127 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Can you list a few of your favorite podcasts, @car2ner?

Thanks!
lets see if we can add some more to this thread.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...-training.html

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #128 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 PM

I've loved dogs from growing up with them--family, friends, community. Many dogs ran freely around our neighborhood (in the days before leash laws there) so I had a chance to meet many different breeds.

My heart dog was a 10 month old deaf Aussie I spotted at the Humane Society on a field trip with students. We bonded instantly. He was by far the smartest dog I've ever owned. He learned things I never actually tried to teach him. I taught him "stay" in the house, for example. Then one day he was about to run in front of a car that I hadn't heard, for some reason, so in a panic I threw up the stay signal and he fell to the ground in a solid stay--saved his life, I am sure.

I've had 2 purebred Aussies and my current is 1/4 Aussie, 3/4 BC. Fun and smart but I didn't work with him like I did the first two--I let my kids walk him, for example, so he's awful on a leash. But I will start working with him now that I'm relearning things as I work with my foster GSD (who may become mine; we just have to wait and see).

Humans and dogs are a natural fit, and I tend to believe that dogs "domesticated themselves," vs. humans taking in wolf pups from the wild.
post #129 of 129 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:39 AM

I've loved dogs, and specific breeds (sighthounds, GSDs, and a few others) since early childhood. I don't remember not wanting a show GSD. I drew famous show GSDs on my homework as a kid. When I got my first GSDs, they were rescues. However, they cemented my love for the breed in general. Showing my sighthounds in the 90s I got to see show dogs like Dallas and Leroy Brown. I knew I had to had to have one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page