Hypothetical: Better for an homeless dog to have no home or be euthanized OR go to.. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM

my opinion

Im sure its been said a few times but it depends on where you are. Here for example there is a very big stray dog problem and Ive come to learn that it is better to humanely euthanize some of the dogs than let them continue to be stray. The more stray dogs there are, the more stray dogs they keep making and it seems like it will never be under control. We have one shelter here on Guam and they have to put down dogs all the time because of space issues. There are simply too many dogs, they get in dogs and puppies everyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I know there is a very strong feeling of "every dog deserves a chance or a second chance or a third chance." I don't know how many times I've read threads about a dog that's bitten someone more than once and there are still people defending this dog and saying its the owners fault and that in the right hands the dog would be fine, just would take some time to rehab.

Well knowing how crowded shelters are, and how rescues generally function...those types of places can't handle problem dogs. Why spend $10000 (counting someone's salary/time and also real resources) trying to rehab a single problem dog, taking up the space for possibly dozens of normal dogs that would move in and out of the shelter within days? I get it, every life is important, but at some level, isn't saving 10 dogs better than saving one?

Anyways...I don't know how I feel about a family that can barely afford minimal care getting a dog. To a family/person that has to worry about every dollar they spend, is $20 a month on food, and possibly a $100 vet visit a year really a good decision? Couldn't that $340 go somewhere else to maybe help that person get a better job or get into a better situation where that dog is more affordable and smarter to own? And this is nothing against those living paycheck to paycheck and investing all their discretionary income into their dogs...I get it, people do it, but I just don't know how "smart" it is to do that. I guess if you're spending your last $20 on dog food, I would wonder what happens if that $20 isn't there one month? Who is going to get to eat then? The last thing I would expect is someone to not buy food for themselves just to feed their dog...
I could not agree more with this post, this is exactly how I feel.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Elite Member

I applied for a dog from paws chicago, I never heard back. I see "rescues shows" on tv and they are way too hoarder to me. They prefer to not let the dogs go to homes.
So excuse me if im biased but im not a fan of so called rescues because all the local ones who werent hoarding wanted hundreds of dollars per dog and that smacks of puppymill. The only negative on my resume were apt living. But got no response back from the local chicago "rescues" It took me years to get my dog after that. I just watched Cesar Milan and wished i had a dog. Im glad it all worked out and I got a great first dog like Apache and everything has fallen in place.

Last edited by volcano; 02-08-2014 at 04:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Good hypothetical question!
A little thought...

When i was a child we were poor. We lived off food stamps and lived in a rundown home. I was 5 and had my first dog, a stray that came to our house. I loved that dog and she was my happiness and best friend, truly some of the only joy and love i knew. How can one deny another that joy and love for both just because of their income?

We didn't have much but we managed to afford dog food though no vet, in fact i don't think having a pet and going to the vet was popular until in the last 30/40 years. Nobody i knew took their dogs to the vet unless they had something extensive wrong with them. Dogs have been companions for 100's of years and vets not so long, yet somehow i believe their have been some truly happy dogs and just thankful for the companionship and love. I think saying a dog can only live (be adopted & not killed) if an owner can take him to a vet is like saying if you can't afford health insurance you need to be put down
Just fyi: My Renee (first dog) was a happy healthy dog until she passed at age 13yrs. And never saw a vet and i live in south texas, in fact most my dogs growing up lived tumor & cancer free with no illness and died of old age.

I don't think money is the issue for the dog. A dog doesn't care, it just wants love. As for money and abuse; I've seen the wealthy abuse a dog just as easy as a homeless can.

In the end a fee does not make a good owner, however i do understand that things need to be paid for but keeping an animal locked up or killing one for the lack of fee is horrible.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
I applied for a dog from paws chicago, I never heard back. I see "rescues shows" on tv and they are way too hoarder to me. They prefer to not let the dogs go to homes.
So excuse me if im biased but im not a fan of so called rescues because all the local ones who werent hoarding wanted hundreds of dollars per dog and that smacks of puppymill. The only negative on my resume were apt living. But got no response back from the local chicago "rescues" It took me years to get my dog after that. I just watched Cesar Milan and wished i had a dog. Im glad it all worked out and I got a great first dog like Apache and everything has fallen in place.
Happy for you and Apache! I too have heard of many people who are GREAT pet people and couldn't adopt from different shelters around here that claim to have an abundance. Sad how they hurt the animals.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

This thread hasn't been posted in for almost 5 years. Talk about a blast from the past! There are a few people who posted here that haven't been around in years -- and this reminded me that I miss their posts.
misfits and ksotto333 like this.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
This thread hasn't been posted in for almost 5 years. Talk about a blast from the past! There are a few people who posted here that haven't been around in years -- and this reminded me that I miss their posts.
I'm curious, has your view changed over time, or do you feel the same as you did back in 2013? I know how hard it is to see animals euthanized, but I also know and have seen abuse situations as well...both can harden your heart in ways that many people can't even imagine!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page