What have you learned about GSDs since you joined the forum? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Location: Atlanta; originally from rural south Texas (yes, cows, horses, and cowboys)
I love these forums! The main thing I've learned is that I have a lot to learn and even when I think I have figured something out, there's probably someone with better insight that I can learn from.

I have only been a GSD owner for almost two years (two years this October). My dog is 2.5 years old. We fished him out of the pound back in Oct 2013. Since then I've been learning as I go--from how to feed a dog in a health crisis (starved/sick), to dealing with "recent rescue" separation anxiety and ongoing training questions. I've lurked more than I've posted, although I've definitely had my times of plastering the boards with questions and comments. I've also learned about the different varieties of GSDs and become familiar with the perspectives behind each point of view.

Just in the past few days I've been delving into temperament aspects, learning what's a drive and what's a threshold and good nerves. Found out along the way that what I first thought was some kind of anxiety/nerves is actually my dog just needing more training and me letting him get away with it!

The forums are just a great place for first-time dog owners/ first-time GSD owners like me (Yes, got a GSD as my first dog--I like a challenge!). I hope one day I'll be able to help out some other new person with answers that give confidence to that new owner. I know one thing I've gotten from the forums is confidence.

My dog Ben has benefited enormously from the advice I get here. Haha, this is the forum where I found the recipe for the "satin balls" he loved so much when we first were getting his weight up to normal. (Do a search...it's on a thread somewhere.)

Awesome people here! I'll never leave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdreyer View Post
One of the first things I learned was that my puppy wasn't an insane genetic mutant that wanted to eat me - she was in fact a normal GSD puppy I wasn't exercising enough!

Since then, this would be a really long post if I listed everything, but I'd like to think overall I've learned to be a better GSD owner. I've also learned that I've learned just the tip of the iceberg! So thank you to everybody, this has been a fun year!
Ditto.

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 PM

I could go on and on about all that I have learned here but most importantly this is where I found my breeder and therefore my Loki and for that I am forever grateful!

Egon Vom Geistwasser "Loki"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familydag5 View Post
I could go on and on about all that I have learned here but most importantly this is where I found my breeder and therefore my Loki and for that I am forever grateful!
What's your breeder name ?
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

I have learned that I don't have pictures to show of my grandchildren, but I will be happy to show lots of pictures of my GSD on my phone. Any friend or co-worker who hasn't seen me for a while has the same question, "How's Simon?" When I told my closest friend that I was getting a GSD, she immediately said she was afraid of them. Now, she adores Simon She played tug one day with him and was so impressed with his manners (i.e., he didn't bite her)

Moriah

Last edited by Moriah; 08-06-2015 at 10:47 PM.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 PM

ILoveBella, Bill Kulla in Illinois is my breeder, Boy is Loki's sire, Moxie the dam. Loki is everything I had hoped for and more .

Egon Vom Geistwasser "Loki"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page