What have you learned about GSDs since you joined the forum? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Crowned Member

I continue to learn about genetics, bloodlines, and what particular historical dogs have to offer. I've probably learned more about AmLines than anything else, since I didn't know much about them to begin with. I'm happy to see some AmLine breeders are going for moderation, temperament and working ability.

Wish that the pedigree gurus would post more often, though! That's my only wish for this forum--that the experts continue to post and comment, and do so with frequency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

I've learned how very confusing it all is. So many different types so many different methods to train, feed, what can they chew. Duchies and Mals are a different breed but whites are still Shepherds at least in America but not in Germany. I've learned that the definitions of what is a good breeder vary greatly from person to person. I think the thing I find most helpful is the nutrition advice and the information about different shepherd issues like pannus and dm. What I also find amazing is no matter the differences of opinion when someone loses a beloved pet we all come together to sympathize and support.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Elite Member

Even though I adopted Hans from an individual who was "done" with him, I have learned from this forum how to choose a great breeder and how to at least stack the odds in my favor of getting a GSD with a stable temperament and good hips/elbows.

Sometime in the future (may be several years) I would like to have a GSD that I can train to be a well behaved dog, instead of pulling my hair out trying to get rid of bad habits he learned well before I got him. Of course, he wouldn't be the first animal with horrible habits I've had to deal with-such is the nature of rescue.

He has been a challenge for sure, but I owe a lot of thanks to many on this site for their help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

I started learning all I could about GSDs when I was 10. Unfortunately, I was limited to our very small local library.

I had to move out of my parents' home to get my first dog, and I was almost done with college and working full time when I got him.

By the time I found this forum, I had already had my problem child, Frodo, who taught me the most, and I had had Jazzy and Arwen and then Dubya. I had been to classes with Arwen and Dubya from a couple of different trainers. I had lost Arwen and found her -- that experience tought me some stuff as well. I had managed to buy dozens of books, mostly on GSDs and read them.

Since I joined the forum, I have experienced whelping, I have joined a dog club, I have gone to trials and matches, I have trained(and/or trialed) in obedience, rally, agility, herding, cgc, tdi, and conformation, I have filled out my GSD/dog Library with a LOT more training/behavior books, a book on genetics, and Von Stephanitz book.

I think I have learned a lot since I joined the forum, and have gleaned a lot of good information from the site, some in health, some in training and behavior, some in breeding, and the breed. I have also learned to question everything and make up my own mind whether its vets, trainers, people on the internet.

This site is one area of learning/understanding other people's management/training/relationships with their dogs. But I have learned tons during this time from my mentor as well, about breeding, showing, health/vet, bloodlines, etc. And I still learn from my trainer who I have bringing dogs to for almost the same amount of time. And my dogs teach me all the time.

It seems like at different times, different stuff is important. Right now I am learning how to train children to be safe and train dogs and puppies. Maybe some day I will be willing to train adults. I doubt it though. Adults are too aggravating. I marvel at my trainer for not smacking people upside the head during the course of many, many training classes.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Quinn (The Werewolf), Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:06 PM

One of the first things I learned was that my puppy wasn't an insane genetic mutant that wanted to eat me - she was in fact a normal GSD puppy I wasn't exercising enough!

Since then, this would be a really long post if I listed everything, but I'd like to think overall I've learned to be a better GSD owner. I've also learned that I've learned just the tip of the iceberg! So thank you to everybody, this has been a fun year!
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM

I learned that each dog is a different puzzle. Its a lot easier seeing the whole picture when you have numerous sets of eyes to point things out. This is a great community to bounce ideas off of. I joined because I wanted my dog to have every chance for a successful life but now I see he is fine just the way he is, I am the one who needs the help. LOL
I have learned about flirt poles, rag training, raw vs kibble, keeping my puppy stimulated, vaccinations, worms, teaching reasoning in games, bloodlines, breeder questions to ask, crate training, house breaking, letting him win at tug to boost confidence ( works really well!) socialization, to puppy class or not to puppy class, training, safety in the car, etc..... wow so much!
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 11:42 AM

I look into my GS's eyes and I can tell there's a lot of moving parts.

I take it one day at a time with her and try to figure out what she wants when she acts a certain way. It's incredible to watch her every day and I wish I didn't have to work so much so I could spend every waking hour with her.

But a job means stability and a life for the both of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

I have learned that GSD owners are a breed as varied as the dogs they favor, with some basic characteristics, some common faults, many health concerns, and temperaments all across the spectrum.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Quinn (The Werewolf), Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

I've learned a great amount from some of the members in this forum and because of it, have the best GSD I've ever owned. There are some pretty damned smart people in here and they have helped me out immensely.

What comes to mind first, is what I have learned regarding the dog's drives and how to use these innate "desires" to the overall benefit of the relationship. I also have raised my expectations of what the breed is capable of, because of savvy trainer's advice and displays of their dog's performance. Even though my bitch is a companion dog, she's the highest performance "pet" I have ever had the privilege of sharing my life with.....

SuperG
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM

there is a lot to learn from gsd forums.there is already a huge amount of dog related knowledge.almost every situation or problem that a gsd or its owner can have.as i am a junior member so it will take some time to get used to forums.from some of my previous posters i got no replies.just one or two two.i dont know why...but there is still alot to learn and also many questions and things i want to know,,,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page