Levels of knowledge for the average pet owner. - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 03:06 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
As I say...just being anal! We all understand the type of dog under discussion...for some reason???

Nonetheless neither the AKC nor the UKC "recognize" a "Breed" called a "Pitt Bull!" You can dual register an American Staffordshire Terrier as an APBT on the UKC but the AKC won't recognize those dogs!

And if you tell a registered American Staffordshire Terrier, his dog is a Pitt Bull or an APBT you best be ready for a fight!

It's pretty simple for me, when "Joe Lucero, Diane Jessup, Cesar Milan, and many other Pit Bull authorities, breeders and other experts" change the policy of the AKC and UKC and recognize the "PITT BULL" as a "Breed" then so will I!

For the record my Gunther BullMastiff/APBT/Lab aka American Band Dawg! Plenty of those out there also..."looks like a Pitt to me"...and so it goes....
Just being anal, but I was talking about the breed, not the type. The breed is spelled with capital letters, the type with small case; and Pit is spelled with one t, as in a dog fighting pit from which its name is derived.

The UKC does register the American "Pit Bull" Terrier which is a Pit Bull same as a Shepherd is a German "Shepherd", one is nothing but a shortened version of the name. One can call Richard "****" or John "Jack" but at the end of the day they still are Richard or John but also **** or Jack.

Nobody is changing anything. It has been this way for over a hundred years with any confusion being a recent matter.

http://www.boldogkennelpitbulls.com/...This-Site.html

Last edited by MineAreWorkingline; 09-15-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

But isn't it the AKC that is ranking the GSD #2 by the numbers registered? Maybe there aren't as many pits out there, but it just seems like there are.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
What level of knowledge about the GSD do you expect a pet owner to have?

I believe I am above average pet owner in the fact that I researched a little bit about the breed. I know the major illnesses that my dog can get, I know the amount of activity my dog needs and I know that there are show lines and working lines. I have other breeds and I know a little bit about them too.

So what else should people know to make them a better pet owner. Now remember this is a pet and people have family and jobs and lots of other stuff in their lives. Many have multiple breeds and mixes of breeds. So realistically how much information and research do you think that an average pet owner needs?
I have had numerous shepherds. They have different traits. There are similarities in traits but in the end each dog to me is different.

Taking that, as I said I've had numerous shepherds. All of them were different but the same in some aspects but they were dogs to me and they got the "standard" pet treatment. With the exception of my last two GSD's. Our late GSD was an inside dog but still had mostly standard treatment. He didn't have strong WL traits even though active. But we loved him. Our current GSD Cruz to say was an eye opener for us. WL dog lines in him show dominantly. This forced us to look deeper into knowledge of the WL breed of GSD. He showed similar characteristics my other GSD's did but much stronger and it took us by surprise really to the point we had to get help with training. He is a highly driven dog. This training also pointed us to something we never considered and that was nutrition. There is more knowledge to be learned there. I think your level of knowledge with WL dogs has to be higher as they are driven and very smart. Not to say SL dogs are not smart, they are. The difference is in WL dogs force you to acknowledge those traits more than maybe a SL dog would. It forces you to be creative with your training. Constantly challenging. Driving you to learn.

Just my take. I leave the medical stuff up to the vet. I do watch for visual cues that something may be off, or treat his allergies when they crop up. But leave the deeper medical stuff to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
The UKC does register the American "Pit Bull" Terrier which is a Pit Bull same as
Nobody is changing anything. It has been this way for over a hundred years with any confusion being a recent matter.
You can dual register an APBT as an American Staffordshire Terrier on the UKC and not the AKC! I "thought" that is what I typed?? (American Staffordshire Terrier) is not all caps on the web...so I'll roll with that.

But I type a lot of stuff so I most likely screwed up???

I did go to that site but it seems mostly geared to breeders???

But the only link that worked was this one:
Do YOU need a pit bull???

Is it just me??

I found that link interesting but as I had no issues save for (Dog v Dog Aggression, yes big surprise,) which "we" solved! My "Pit" type dogs and I had "zero" issues!

I did see a Dog there that Looked just like Gunther, save for color, Gunther was a Tri Color ?? And they had a "BandDog" on that site! Everybody seems to spell "Band Dawg" differently??

But for me...I found Pit-type dogs to be no issue! My "problem child" was my OS WL GSD!! Not much like a Pit...I discovered!

As you say no one is changing their minds but in an effort to be "reasonable," I will spell it "Pit" in the future!
post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:12 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
As I say...just being anal! We all understand the type of dog under discussion...for some reason???

Nonetheless neither the AKC nor the UKC "recognize" a "Breed" called a "Pitt Bull!" You can dual register an American Staffordshire Terrier as an APBT on the UKC but the AKC won't recognize those dogs!

And if you tell a registered American Staffordshire Terrier, his dog is a Pitt Bull or an APBT you best be ready for a fight!

It's pretty simple for me, when "Joe Lucero, Diane Jessup, Cesar Milan, and many other Pit Bull authorities, breeders and other experts" change the policy of the AKC and UKC and recognize the "PITT BULL" as a "Breed" then so will I!

For the record my Gunther BullMastiff/APBT/Lab aka American Band Dawg! Plenty of those out there also..."looks like a Pitt to me"...and so it goes....
Quote:
You can dual register an APBT as an American Staffordshire Terrier on the UKC and not the AKC! I "thought" that is what I typed?? (American Staffordshire Terrier) is not all caps on the web...so I'll roll with that.

But I type a lot of stuff so I most likely screwed up???

I did go to that site but it seems mostly geared to breeders???

But the only link that worked was this one:
Do YOU need a pit bull???

Is it just me??

I found that link interesting but as I had no issues save for (Dog v Dog Aggression, yes big surprise,) which "we" solved! My "Pit" type dogs and I had "zero" issues!

I did see a Dog there that Looked just like Gunther, save for color, Gunther was a Tri Color ?? And they had a "BandDog" on that site! Everybody seems to spell "Band Dawg" differently??

But for me...I found Pit-type dogs to be no issue! My "problem child" was my OS WL GSD!! Not much like a Pit...I discovered!

As you say no one is changing their minds but in an effort to be "reasonable," I will spell it "Pit" in the future!
My comment about nobody changing anything referenced your comment above about breeders changing AKC and UKC policies to accept the Pit Bull as a breed.

From the UKC website: The United Kennel Club was the first registry to recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier. UKC founder C. Z. Bennett assigned UKC registration number 1 to his own APBT, Bennett’s Ring, in 1898.

The ADBA: The American Dog Breeders Association, Inc. was started in September, l909 as a multiple breed association. The residing president, Mr. Guy McCord, was an avid fancier and breeder of the American Pit Bull Terrier, and was a close friend of Mr. John P. Colby. Mr. Colby was the mainstay of the A.D.B.A. which prompted the boast of being the "home" registration office of the Colby dogs.

FYI: The AKC did not close the stud books to Pit Bulls as AmStaffs until somewhere in the mid 70s, not sure of the exact year.

Point: things would have to change among the registries to NOT recognize Pit Bulls as a breed.

Not sure about Jessup's website. Their used to be much information there. I have a really nice link regarding vintage Pit Bulls and their history if you would be interested.
post #106 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexk9 View Post
I haven't bathed my dog since I got him [I don't see a reason too], I also don't clip his toe nails since they seem to grind themselves down and the chances of a dog getting Heart Worms is so minor id rather risk that then providing a foreign agent into my dogs body to prevent it continuously.
Heart Worms are not minor. If you live in an area where Heart Worms are present, you need preventative medication. It is 50/50 if your dog will live through Heartworm Treatment - It's harsh and you will be 2 weeks and great expense living day by day with your very sick dog not knowing if he will be alive the next day or not. Just my opinion from having had 2 with it and watched 1 die of it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page