How Much Value Does Your Dogs Have? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

I have a number of dogs that I love. I have sold dogs that were a year old and under. It gets harder when they are get older because every day solidifies that bond a little more. I have a five year old bitch right now, she is already titled, I would never ever breed her, but every day she jumps up on her sister's dog house just to get a big ole hug from me. ****! How do you go and sell her?

And yet, if the right individual comes along, and you have the right dog for that individual, and it is better for the dog, good for the individual, and good for you as well -- one less dog that requires attention, training, vet care, grooming. Well, I can only say that it takes a strong person to put a dog's needs before their personal selfishness in keeping the dog.

Being a breeder means having more than one intact bitch, keeping pups back that might be used for the program, dogs that are dropped from your program for whatever reason, and taking back dogs that have not worked out. So it means having a number of dogs which may be more than a typical pet home would be comfortable keeping/managing. But with placing a retired, returned, or a bitch that has not worked out in the breeding program, it is not about money though we may charge, it is not a price tag, it is all about the right owner.

I had a dog, Rushie, who was titled, and got tons of work because every time one of the bitches came into season, I would sub him into their unfinished classes. He was four years old, passed his CGC probably 6 or 8 times, and had a TDI, and and RN. I got a call from a guy that wanted a dog he could take with him when inspecting nursing homes.

I thought of Rushie. I had bred him once and decided I would not use him again for breeding. So he was just a pet/obedience/rally dog. I had signed up to take him to nursing homes, but I hadn't done it yet with him. I let him meet this guy. And it was a good match. I took him back for a week so he could get ready for the dog, and when I brought him back, he lay his head in the man's lap.

3 years later I got a call. The man had told his wife that if she ever needed to let him go, that I told them I would take him. The wife told me her husband was sick for 2 years, and the dog stayed right in the room with him, and when he died he sat by the window for 5 days waiting for him to come home. But then he started acting like a puppy, running upstairs, and going out of the yard, and she was afraid for the neighbor's dogs. I went and got him that night.

Before I did, I called my contractor and asked him if he remembered the dog, and if he would like to have him. He did, and he did want him. So I went and got him, and kept him overnight, and took him to the vet and then delivered him to this guy. The guy was soft spoken like the first man, and he has an elderly father, this guy had a 90 year old mother living in the house who had kept hugging the dog when I was there.

At my house, I had crated the boy, and had all these girls barking and crazy. The dog was now used to having a family all to himself. It would have been a terrible thing for me to just keep the dog, and give him 1/10th of the attention he might get with someone else. It was the right thing to do.

It is never easy to let a dog go. And you do not need to be a breeder to be not the best home for a specific dog. If you got a dog with all the expectations to take that dog through SAR training, and the dog has all the goodies, but you have broken your back or have been diagnosed with something awful that will limit your mobility, or you have lost your job and the new job is working evenings and weekends. Sometimes the dog will adjust to the new schedule and be just as happy with whatever you can do with him, and sometimes it will be better for all parties to let the dog go to someone who is going to give the dog more of a challenge.

The answer is not a dollar value, but having good reason to believe the dog will be better off with the new owner.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Maverick is considered to be my husband and I's first child. We got him in aug 10, shortly there after I was pregnant, first son born april 2011 and our daughter born march 2013, we are now getting a new puppy in a couple weeks. My dogs = my family. There is no price on family.
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 PM

We are on our 3rd pair of Black German Shepherds since about 1987.

Dex & Lexie, the two we have now would die defending us.

I had a new neighbor who threatened to shoot another neighbors dog if it got in his field again,

before I could even think about it, the words, "I will kill you if you ever shoot one of my dogs for no good reason" had escaped from my mouth.

I have sold pups, none older than 8 weeks out of my own dogs, but I would never sell or get rid of one of my dogs.

I love my dogs like kids and to be honest, I relate to dogs much better than humans, dogs are much more reliable and forgiving.

For some reason I have always had a stronger bond with the males.
There is no way I can place a Value on these family members.

You can tell a lot about a man by how he treats his dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 PM

Mishka is only 3 months old, and she already means the world to me. She always cuddles up to me when I don't feel well.... And makes me laugh... And gets me up off of the couch to play with her. I wouldn't give her up for anything.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 PM

Dogs hold a special place in all of our hearts. A void that nothing else seems to fill

Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7/27/12-
Ryker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
12/25/13- 11/6/15 :'(
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 PM

I've known so many people that just got fed-up with their dog or it got "inconvenient" to own and just got rid of them. I use to think if you give up a dog you shouldn't be allowed to have another one. I also know people that I wish would give their dog away.

I contradict myself and please dont jump on me cause it's a sore subject. I had to give up my 8 year old dog Jenni about 7 months ago. It was/is the hardest thing I EVER did and not a day goes by I don't think about her and the situation. If I had a choice of either a million bucks or getting my dog back I would pick my dog. I guess Ive turned into one of those people that I thought I could never understand and even despised. I learned that not everyone that finds their dog a new home is an *******. I also learned to never say never.

Its a long sad story that involves divorce and disaster and thats all I can say here. My dog was my life, I loved her more than anything and would do anything for her but I did give her away. I did the same thing I harshly judged other people for. But I did it out of love for her and she was priceless to me.

And now I have another dog...
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

I have one big happy family in my home, consisting of one fiance, 2 almost step children and my own son, plus my 3 dogs. I would not trade any of them for the world,
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 PM
Master Member

I can totally see all points. I have placed puppies, and also placed a few young adults and a finished champion bc they were going to the right situation for them. The owners do therapy work and work hard in that venue. Better homes I could never ask for, they are amazing. Granted, I work in relatively small numbers as it is. The crew that's with me now (7 total) won't be going anywhere, and at the same time my number won't be increasing either. I am working each individual in what they like to do in life ;-)

Catherine Morton LVT (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
Mana Shepherds
South Carolina
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
Why? You looking to buy?
Niiiiiiiiiiice lol.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Elite Member

That special feeling, "vibe", I got just seein my boys, to see him running to me all excieted because I was home, that familiar feel and smell. Money can't buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page