How Did You Come Up With Your Dog(s) Name? - Page 67 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of 672 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogCalledQuest View Post
I dreamed of a beautiful show quality, American style GSD for years and years and years. In a recent pursuit of my own happiness, I made that dream come true. He's all part of my "chasing" my dreams. I wanted a name more unique than the word chase, though. I came up with Quest, and it suits him perfectly. His AKC name is a Tribe Called Quest song, "Can I Kick It" which his breeder and I agreed suits a show dog well.
We gave Scarlett her name when we noticed a scar on her forehead where he father nipped her when she was a pup. It has since grown hair over the scar but that's where it started from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Crowned Member

Our new puppy is Marco Aurelio! We call him Marco... we were originally thinking Marcus Aurelius but I didn't really like the latin name - my Italian friend suggested the Italian way and so it was done!

Wolfgang was named after I was researching german names and I just loved that one!!! His personality was all Wolfie but we still called him Wolfgang!

I just liked Sasha for a girl

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #663 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Our boy was part of the breeder's "I" litter and even at 8 weeks he had a fearless John Wayne swagger, so we named him "I am the Duke," Duke for short.
Clare and selzer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Maple came from the shelter with her name, but I am guessing it is from her beautiful coloring .
post #665 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
Our new puppy is Marco Aurelio! We call him Marco... we were originally thinking Marcus Aurelius but I didn't really like the latin name - my Italian friend suggested the Italian way and so it was done!

Wolfgang was named after I was researching german names and I just loved that one!!! His personality was all Wolfie but we still called him Wolfgang!

I just liked Sasha for a girl
When my Grandmother wasn't calling my little brother FrankerJohn, which was kind of short for Frank or John, she was calling him Marcus Aurelius. His name is Mark Steven. Trust me you don't want a Marcus Aurelius, he was a little tyrant back then. I think his birth certificate still says Boy Selzer. But I could be wrong, it took them a while to figure out his name.
Clare likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #666 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM

Zoya's given name is Lesta od Vyrovky , She is from Czechoslovakia, these people brought her out to Montana ( she was going to be a police dog out there in Czech but failed a test) They named her Tessa ( no offense to anybody named Tessa) I just didn't like the named for my dog. I think it was the 70's or 80's I had watched a Lifetime movie , it was a Daniel Steel movie. About a Russian princess ( played by Melissa Gilbert, the actress from Little House on The Prairie)that had to defect to America. Against all odds she came out one top, even had her own shop with her own clothing line. Her name was Princess Zoya. I thought would be fitting for all that my black angel had been put through. But is a story for another day🌈
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0812181950_HDR_1558297340740.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	521147  
bnormal likes this.

Last edited by deedeearmstrong; 05-19-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #667 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM

My female 'LeeLoo' is named after the character from the movie 'The Fifth Element'. I was hoping to get a second dog, male, and name him Corben, or Dallas, but we ended up adopting Thor. Maybe I can slowly change it to Thorben...and then to Corben? Haha.
post #668 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post
I came up with Remington after relentlessly checking "german shepherd dog names" "baby names" and all sorts of sites. I had a list of like 30 names that (ex) BF axed all of them. I wanted Remy as a sort of "protection" dog-not attack or be mean dog, but since I was home alone a lot, just something to make me feel secure. Remington, being a gun brand, I thought- how funny would it be if I could say I have my own Remington protection

Now, almost every time I am asked what her name is, and I say 'Remington,' almost every one has the same reply... "LIKE THE GUN?!" hehe. I didn't name her specifically after the gun, but I always say, "yes, like the gun."

How did you come up with your beloved fur-child's name?
You have a Remington and I have an 11 week old girl called Ruger,named after my favorite brand of handgun plus naming females for me is always difficult
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sat3week (64).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	521505  
Clare and bnormal like this.
post #669 of 672 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM

Remember the movie "Top Gun"? My oldest son always wanted a German shepherd and when he got his own place he got a dog and named him Maverick. Sadly my son passed away when Maverick was 6 months old. A year later my other son (who lives with us) got a German shepherd and named him Goose. Maverick and Goose are like therapy dogs to our whole family. They have both helped us continue to heal!
BlitzTheGSD likes this.
post #670 of 672 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM

When we adopted Gaia her name was Leia, named after princess Leia. I wanted to give her a new name so she felt more like my own dog, but I wanted something similar to her old name so it wouldnt be difficult for her to transition.

"Gaia" was the name of the persona for my internet identity "stellardeer", represented as an antlered woman with white hair and gold accents in her clothing.
It was a perfect new name for my dog because it was close enough to Leia, and she is basically the dog version of my persona character (she's a white shepherd with goldish-brown tinges!)

Name: Dinah
GSD: Gaia, White Shep of unknown lineage

I'm always looking for new training advice and sturdier toys! ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page