How Did You Come Up With Your Dog(s) Name? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Knighted Member

Before I got Ollie I was all set to name him Dean because I'm a huge Supernatural fan and my golden is named Sam.

But I'm also really into British humor and anything having to do with the UK and its my dream someday to move to England. So I listen to these English guys(most of you here would probably have no clue who they are unless you're a huge nerd too so I won't explain lol). Anyways one of them had a dog named Ollie and I feel in love with the name.

When I went to pick Ollie up from the breeder I still hadn't really settled on a name but on the way home the name Ollie popped into my head and it seemed to fit him more then Dean. Even though I know it's less noble and manly..

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

I name alot of dogs....I like predator names.....especially big cats, and do play on the spelling of them....

When I was naming my C litter - I had not picked out anything for Csabre yet...I had the litter out at the equine clinic and my friend Jack, the vet - who had a second practice in Cairo Egypt (I got to go to be a tech on surgery and help out in general!) and who had shown Arab horses as a kid - looked at her and said ....'Name this one Shetan" Arabic for devil - and Walter Farley's Black Stallion's name....I said - can't - it is a C litter - He laughed and said "So - put a C in front of the S!" I thought about that and decided she was Csabre! I also like to use a traditional German name in a litter, no people or real common names, and if there is one that can relate to Egypt, that too...have had Giza, Cairo and Kairo....LOL my Bengal cat is also Giza....I get stuck on the ones I like!!!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #23 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Black View Post
Kaos (Maxwell smart spelling) and Havoc for a new GSD puppy coming shortly because I think they fit a German Shepherd perfectly.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice103 View Post
Cheyenne, just because we liked the name.

Panzer, after the "german tank" reference. And Panzer's registered name is Faegen, which means Joy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Finnian was just a good Irish name as his AKC name is Finnian the Irish Lad.

Cheyenne came from being born in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Love Havoc and Kaos! Very Fitting

And I soooo wanted to name my girl Cheyenne..but that was immediately shot down

Remington "Remy"(3/4/12) - My little "pistol" came into my life April 17th, and I haven't been happier since!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

All my animals have a Disney theme. Koda from Brother Bear, Zazu from the Lion King, Jasmine from Aladdin, and Delgado from Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Loker was because he was from a L litter, he's my favourite character in Lie to Me

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Salem is named after Salem, MA. I went there and fell in love with the town!

Also, it's fitting because he's pure black.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your friend. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #26 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM

Cabo was in the "C" litter and I like tequila.
post #27 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

Maya from a dog movie i watched a loong time ago
Mel ( ok it´s the cat but it´s stil a name) because of her honey colourd eyes and mel means honey
Castiel from a 1 hr long arguement at the vet´s about names, one of the vets said that name, I liked it and he walked out of there with it
post #28 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Knighted Member

Zeke, I honestly don't know. I love Z names, Z is my favorite letter. But oddly enough, all growing up, for 10+ years, I wanted a german shepherd named Captain. When I FINALLY got my first german shepherd, Zeke just popped into my head

Luther - my ex named him after a german shepherd my sister had named Luther. Means warrior in old german. I love that name.

As for my new puppy, who arrives in 12 days (YAY), no name picked yet.

Because it's a B litter, registered name will either be Bohuslav (only B czech name or german name I liked) or Berlin (saw it in a B litter from another breeder, even though I commonly see it used for females I actually really like it as a "pretty" yet masculine enough name for a male).

As far as call name, I have 3, and just decided I will wait until he arrives to pick which one I like.

First is obviously Berlin, but that means I would need to decide on that sooner as I should get papers to register any day now. Would be stupid to register him as Bohuslav but then decide to call him Berlin when that could of easily been his registered name.

Next name is Zombie. I was actually at a Rob Zombie/Marilyn Manson concert when the name popped into my head. Rob Zombie is AMAZING, zombies in general are just cool (although way too popular at the moment), and I think it would be a very neat and unique name for a large dark sable male german shepherd. "No Zombie, No bite!"

Third name is Remus. After Star Trek. Remus is the twin planet to Romulas, and the Remans are a powerful, gargoyle like race that are commonly used as warriors in Romulan wars. Star Trek Nemesis was just an amazing movie, IMO, and that's NOT just because I love the ever sexy Tom Hardy The roman mythology behind the name is cool as well - Romulas and Remus were twin brothers that were sent down the river by their mother and raised by a she-wolf. When they grew, they fought over where to found a city, and Romulas eventually won when he killed Remus. Hence the founding of Rome. The she-wolf ties in to the german shepherd breed. PLus I think it's also a very intimidating name for a large, dark sable male.

Downside to that name, I have a snake named Draco after the dragon constellation, and people are already constantly asking me if I named him after Harry Potter. Throw in another Harry Potter name, and I'll NEVER be able to deny the connection! lol

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #29 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
Hahaha Katie, you have no idea how hard it is to agree upon a name when you have 4 people involved
I can only imagine! Lol! I had a hard enough time deciding upon a name and it was just me, with *some* input from my sister and mom. Glad you went with Bear though, because da bears are awesome, and well, Bear looks like a bear

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #30 of 669 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM

How Did You Come Up With Your Dog(s) Name?

I named my girl Charlie because I had originally planned on getting a male but she stood out to me and I couldn't decide on a female name so I gave her a tomboy name. Charlie = Charlotte

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page