Does Your Dog Make You Feel Safer - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Even my Chinese Cresteds make me feel safer. They are my early warning system. Gives me time to get to my gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

I live in a cul de sac about 3 blocks from a drug/prostitution corridor. There are also a lot of homeless and car dwellers about plus a large low income housing project around the corner. Havoc is a huge comfort and deterrent and he is somewhat discerning. Most sketchy people simply assume that he is a ppd and his aloofness adds to that impression. Quite a few questionable folk call him the "K-9" and avoid him. On the other hand, he is very happy to see some the homeless folk that he's known since puppyhood.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Does Your Dog Make You Feel Safer

Having large dogs absolutely makes me feel safer,simply because its a huge deterrent.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Elite Member

Absolutely feel safer with Stella and Ruben. Don't know if they would actually do anything, but a GSD and a big black 120 lb newfie mix look pretty intimidating.
Although a dog is no guarantee. A lady in one of my dog classes has a big barky dog. She was a victim of a home invasion. The 2 invaders basically said control your dog or we will shoot it.

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

They sure do!!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

The reason Onyx was brought in was for deterrent/security. My 11 yr old daughter was having issues with the neighborhood and was very fearful. One of our neighbors was murdered(13 yrs old) by another transient neighbor a year before and then there was a weird van canvassing the hood.
We live in a fairly safe place/cul-de-sac, but crazy can happen anywhere. So DH thought a GSD would make daughter feel safer.

I always had family gatherings/parties and our house was the place everyone gathered. Since GSD's entered the house, the parties/gatherings and drop-in company has all but dissappeared.

Even with obedience on the dogs and knowing they are under control, people are too intimidated to visit. I feel bad, but it is what it is.
DH carries so if really necessary, the dogs alerting will be enough. I don't expect them to protect me, just be a good deterrent/alert system.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Knighted Member

Most definitely. Ever since I moved out on my own I've had a dog. I don't like not having one around--they hear, sense, and smell much, much more than I could ever. Every dog I've owned so far has made me feel like, while they might lose the fight, or back off if a human ever fully engaged them, they'd at least make the attempt. And with a wild animal that was rushing us? For sure. As that bond develops, you just know when to trust their instincts. I still feel many areas are my job to protect him, and as he ages someday into a senior, his senses might diminish. But still....dogs are dogs.

Rocket used to bark more all last fall and winter and spring as he was going through puppyhood at little noises in the night, but it's steadily gotten less and less until now, he rarely barks at all. And when he does, we get up and look. (This is during daytime too). He hasn't barked in the middle of the night for several months now, which shows me he's maturing and able to discriminate now between "normal" sounds outside, deer, moose, etc and stuff.

Also, I've met several people who've come up to me in the grocer etc and said "Say, don't you run in our neighborhood?" and then make comments about him--usually along the lines of "Well, keep HIM with you and you'll be alright! He sure is intimidating looking!" That's a big part of it. Deterrent. I don't necessarily tell them he's a pretty friendly dog. First, because he's still young, second because I don't know exactly how he would react if someone rushed me, and third, reputation is everything.

~Elrond's Rocket of Rivendell, aka The RocketDog
06/15/11
hiker and runner extraordinaire

Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Very much so. We always had dogs growing up, so I don't feel comfortable without n 'early warning system'. Right after we moved, someone kicked in the front door and walked into the living room. Finn let lose a torrent of 'big boy' barks and growls while standing his ground and the intruder turned tail and ran. When I walk him, the questionable folk don't come anywhere near us and I doubt he'd let them, even though Finn doesn't have a mean bone in his body.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Master Member

Of course I feel safer but not because she is a dog, but because she is a GSD and doesn't like strangers especially if they come near the house. Whenever there is a nock at the door she goes crazy, barking and running ahead of me to the door, then she inhales trying to smell the person through the cracks in the door (so loud lol) if somebody new comes to the house the dog has to be crated or else.. the other day my husband was working in garage and one of his friends came over and the dog was hanging out with him, he was sitting with his back facing the street so he didn't see who is coming, anyway the dog went NUTS lunging at him and snapping, glad she was tied. His friend is now terrified of our dog and she is only 9 months old. It just comes natural to them to protect their property. Even hubby said that he feels safer with the dog whenever he is working in garage cuz you never know who can sneak up on you while you aren't watching.I am alone most of the time, we live in bad neighborhood...And I don't know about the rest of women here but I am scared to take a shower when I am alone, now that I have a dog I feel much safer because if the water is running I can't hear the intruder and Im naked!! I definately hear dog's bark if there is ANYTHING suspcious. I don't care if anyone thinks its silly, things happen. When I didn't have her I relied on my beretta only....now I have my girl alarming me and I will take care of the rest... As far as walks, let me tell you I wouldn't walk at all if it wasn't for my girl... just not safe at all... When we go for a walk I have a knife on me, pepperspray and Im working on getting concealed weapon permit...you can never be too safe when it comes to walking alone with dog at night...you can't have too much protection for your life.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Elite Member

No, I cant take her anywhere without everyone walking up to me= shes 8 weeks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in