Does Your Dog Make You Feel Safer - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM

My pup makes me feel emotionally safe. Just having him near me stops me feeling lonely and makes me feel secure in a way that I never have on my own.

He is only 5 months so when we are out and about he attracts attention rather than warns it off at this stage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

Oh definitely yes! At home, if my husband is out with my male dog Niko, Rosa is on high alert and she lets me know if anything is going on outside that I should know about. There is NO WAY any of my neighbor's cats will go through my property without me knowing.

Niko is really perfect for me as a running partner. I run in a very rural and secluded area, I very rarely see anyone on the trails I run, and if I do they are just driving through as a shortcut to somewhere else (unless it is hunting season). If someone wished me harm, my habits are pretty regular so it would not be hard to hang out and wait for me to go by. But with Niko and a canister of pepper spray and my cell phone always with me, I don't worry about being assaulted. Not that I think Niko would protect me, but I know he mistrusts strangers and he looks intimidating. He has a very loud bark and is kind of reactive, so it doesn't take much to set him off on an aggressive display unless I am actively managing him.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #33 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
No problem!

If you ever have Piper and wanted to do a walk or something let me know. Am always up to meeting other GSD owners!
Would love to at some point for sure!

Piper ~01/16/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zeus ~ 10/18/2011
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Elite Member

Kaiser definitely makes me feel safer. Whether or not he'd actually engage a threat is questionable, but looks alone are a good enough deterrent. It also helps that his bark is deep; if he weren't my dog I'd be scared of him, lol. That's part of the reason I chose to own a GSD, since I am a single female and used to live by myself.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
post #35 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM

Yes she does, even tho she's only 7 month's everybody think's she's older and will protect me, cause if somebody "new" come's in or somebody she dosen't really know she'll just stare at them and sit by me. On walk's it's great I must say. Anybody that see's her will get off the sidewalk and walk by rather fast, or cross the street Even when i have her off leash and she see's somebody going by she'll just run over to me and watch them walk by lol

Bree

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
post #36 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member

My oldest one(non GSD) generally likes everyone, so if she barks or shows signs of not being comfortable, I know something is wrong. The golden thinks he's a rott, he really loves everything, but one wouldn't know that if they tried to approach me..he is probably the best deterrent vocally. The GSD is quiet, but will stare someone down and she doesn't let up until they are gone. Most people are afraid of her, but she isn't a mean dog at all. If all three of them are together in the house and barking, I can't imagine who would be stupid enough to try to come in. So yes I do feel safer with them, even if all they do is alert...most of the time that can be enough.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #37 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM

yes i feel alot safer hes only 9 mos people say hes huge for a full grown im only 14 and once these drunk guys approached me he knew something was up so yes i feel very safe with him around

Simba - My very first dog and german shepherd

post #38 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Sort of, because of all of the noise she makes when someone is at the door. It would seem it would be foolish to enter my house the way she carries on. But, she tends to be lab-like once we let them in. Out on walks, not so lab-like, but hasn't had to act tough.
post #39 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Master Member

as of right now shes a puppy so...to me..not really. but as she grows she will be more intimidating. Its not really for me its more for my gf, I work nights so shes home alone at night 5 days a week. I dont intend on doing PPD with her so shes really just a show of force.

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
post #40 of 257 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Even a friendly dog gives you the time you need to react. So definately feel safer with my dogs. If I have been asleep for 3 hours, the warning from the dogs gives me time to clear the cobwebs & do what's needed. i m sure they would do what they need to also. The world is changing. No more unlocked doors, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page