Does Your Dog Make You Feel Safer - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I feel more secure as my boy's sight and hearing day or night can alert me to any problem that may occur, and then it is up to me to address that problem by any means that is necessary.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Knighted Member

Very, very secure.

People avoid me and Hunter, most cross the street. Very secure doing our late night walks just me and him (midnight to 2am range usually).

People who don't know him are afraid to come in the house. He will not allow entry without me allowing the person in, but will sit and watch them intensely when in the house.

If I ask him to defend me, he does so confidently and very enthusiastically.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I always love the extra space you suddenly get when you have a large dog with you. I've seen some people run across the street when they see me walking Paddie,and she's in a wheelchair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Yes. They absolutely do...even if I KNOW they wouldn't do anything.

Case in point: One evening (during my college days) there was a random knock at the door and my shepherd started going off as per usual. I couldn't tell you why I did it, it was really stupid, but I just opened the door. There on the other side of my glass door was a very large man. A complete stranger.

He made eye contact with me then proceeded to look down, made eye contact with both of the dogs. A glance to my left. A glance to my right. Made eye contact with me again, and promptly said, "Uh, sorry. Wrong house." He then quickly turned and walked away. I was left standing in my doorway thinking, "Oh, ok. Sure."

Later I realized how stupid a thing I had done. However, it goes to show that most people avoid you when you have large, intense dogs whether you're on the street or in your own home. My shepherd will stare down anyone she sees. I know she just wants attention and scratches, but no one else knows that. They just see a large, black german shepherd staring them down from across the street. I'm more than ok with that. In fact, I love it.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Knighted Member

At home, yes.

She is a derterent.

She will bark at people at the door, and she has different barks depending on the person's actions. (she can see as my front door is full patterened glass and they can see her, although more difficult).

Walking, I've never had the need to want to feel secure with or without my dog, but, if I were to meet a questionable person I'd want her with me.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Knighted Member

Since we're on the subject:
Just pulled this off of MSN

Secret Service dog falls, dies, while protecting Joe Biden
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I just read about this online. Very sad.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Crowned Member

Yes

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM

Absolutely. We were the victims of a home invasion a couple of years ago and our two older boys alerted my husband that something was amiss downstairs in enough time for him to handle the situation before any harm could come to us. They absolutely make me feel safer when my husband is not at home, which happens pretty often with his job in the military. I don't think we'll ever not have a dog (or two, or three) in the house.

Fur-Kids:
Sampson (GSD mix, Rescued in 2002) DOB-06/12/2001
Tito (Spitz/Malamute) DOB-05/21/2006
Malcolm (GSD) DOB-10/31/2012
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM

at home, no, my male aussie is the alert button and wouldn't hesitate to corner a male intruder he wasn't familiar with. Masi, nope, "come on in" is her motto, tho if salesmen come to the door, she will stand there staring at them which can make a stranger nervous for sure

Out in public, yes I feel very safe, walking/hiking, whatever. THo she's never been in a situation where she's 'had' to defend me, she is very very stand offish, aloof, does alot of staring if I'm stopped talking to some"stranger",,but she does make me feel safer out in public.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in