Is it bad to allow your GSD to sleep in your bed with you? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

According to the Monks of New Skete in their book How To Be a Dog's Best Friends it is. There is an entire chapter on it. The dog should be in the bedroom but on the floor - provide a rug or dog bed if the dog wants to use that. It is a privilege for the dog to share our den. That's what I do and it works out well for me and my dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Knighted Member

I only recently started letting Kyleigh on my bed (it's one of the safe spots for the cat!)

I read for about an hour every night in bed, and this is when she's allowed up. She's been really good about it ... but letting her sleep through the night? LMAO NOT A CHANCE:

1 - she takes up too much room
2 - she likes to roll around and give herself a body rub on the bed
3 - she usually drops about 1/2 pound of sand (and this is AFTER being brushed)
4 - after about 10 minutes she gets too hot, and starts panting and shakes the whole bed - makes it hard to read your book!

I waited until she was over a year because I wanted to ensure that she realized "her place." She's been great, no issues. If I noticed a change in her behaviour, no more "bed time"with me ... However, given that she's only ever up there for about 10-15 minutes, and then I'm kicking her off, I really don't foresee any issues in the future!

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #23 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Elite Member

It depends totally on the dog and the owner. If you are a complete pushover and your dog knows it, then allowing on the bed may not be the best decision. If your working relationship is established and you have a biddable clear headed dog, then why not. I have a 3yo male who gets up on the bed for a bit but prefers the tile floor in the bathroom, whereas my 20month old female spends about half the night on the bed and half on her bed in the corner of the bedroom. In the morning they both get on the bed for some cuddle time. They both will get off the bed immediately upon being told to do so, no ifs ands or buts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

Here's my rule:

As long as the dog gets OFF the bed when I tell them to - without grumbling - then they can sleep on the bed if they want.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #25 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

My dogs are allowed on the bed, but they don't sleep there at night, they sleep in their crates. We ALL sleep better that way! And as Lauri said, they have to get off when I tell them to.

Keefer rarely goes up there, he's a floor dog, always has been. But Halo likes to hang out on the bed, she's usually there when we're getting ready for bed, but either jumps down and goes to her crate as soon as I come into the room, or I just snap my fingers and she goes to her crate. She frequently goes on the bed with a toy, and the first thing she does every morning when she comes out of her crate is to jump up on our bed and roll around, before she even goes outside for potties.

I made a video of Halo's morning ritual:

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 11-04-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add video
post #26 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 03:13 PM

My GSD girl is a little over 3 months old and I let her have a choice of whether she sleeps on my bed with me or on the floor of my room. She usually opts for the bed, although she's getting more and more independent, the older she gets. I don't let her have free run of the house at night yet however, since we just recently mastered house training and she still wakes me to potty in the night hours. I rather like when she sleeps with me, though.
post #27 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

My 2.5 yr old has slept with me since the day I got her at 6 weeks lol. It's never given me any problems.

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #28 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Mine slept in my sleeping bag with me for 15 years. We could have lit a city with the gas fumes that escaped.
post #29 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Master Member

No GSDs on my bed! I love them, but I don't want fur in the place where I sleep, thank you very much.
My mini Poodle is allowed on the bed though, but he really only likes to snuggle for a while and then sleep on his bed, except when it's cold. Then he's curls up next to me and we both warm and better.
post #30 of 263 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Master Member

mine get the privilege after they show they will get off when i say off the bed. usually rufus puts himself to bed around 9ish, and he sleeps on my side . sadie joins him for a bit, then switches sides then goes to the other bedroom, i normally wake up in the middle of the night with both of them crashed out and sound asleep lol... as long as the dog isnt a jerk its fine to let them in the bed or on the furniture

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page