Is it bad to allow your GSD to sleep in your bed with you? - Page 26 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 AM

My older dog likes to sleep on the bed facing the door to be first to greet any unexpected intruder or threat, however my shepherd prefers the floor. He'll occasionally sleep on the bed, but 2 100+lbs dogs and a 230lbs human in any bed that isn't a king is rather cramped. I think he chooses the floor most nights because he'd like the extra space. In the past, with my older dog I had started him in a laundry basket as a puppy but my now ex girlfriend would give in to his begging and pull him onto the bed. I had him in the basket solely so he would not **** or piss on my bed, other than potty training problems as a puppy, I don't see any reason for your dog not to sleep in bed with you if there is room.

In response to the person who ranted about pack behavior and the "definition of a good dog". Both of my dogs are being trained as guard dogs, they know who the alpha is. If your training in every other aspect is so weak that you think your dogs assume themselves alpha just by being on furniture or your bed, then your training is flawed. Unless your dog is sleeping on your pillow, they know who's in charge. Dogs typically sleep at the foot of the bed, as a first line of defense for intrusion and this has held true to every dog I've ever met or owned aside from my ex's shelter dog.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by clipke; 11-14-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Crowned Member

I did find a flea in my bed the other day.

I suppose if I didn't want that in my bed, I shouldn't have bought it for her. Now I wish I bought two, because then I could say she has fleas.

Today it was Flea, Lady Bug, and Hedge Hog along with Quinnie in my bed. Babsy sleeps in her own bed alongside. She used to come up, just for a few minutes. Well, after I get in a few minutes. She used to be perfectly happy sleeping in my bed for hours so long as I wasn't in the bed. Then I would have to tell her to move so I could get in. And then I would have to tell her that I prefer head to butt, so she would turn around and not shove her butt and tail in my face. It was a daily ritual. Sometimes she would crawl up over my head so I would get a crick in my neck trying to avoid her. Definitely intentional alpha pack behavior. LOL!!!

With Quinn, the problem is not sleeping, but waking. She definitely wants to get up earlier than me, and go outside. She will lick my hand, she will shove a soggy toy in my nose. She will jump on and off of my bed gathering. She will bring up my sandle- house shoes, because she knows I put them on before going out there to let her out. She's only brought the toilet brush up into the bed once. I don't think she will EVER do that again. It would have been an interesting thread if she had a forum to report her dealings with me to -- "Dudes, don't do this: don't bring the toilet brush up into the bed. Just trust me. You DON'T want to do that. Humans are really weird about that."
Sabis mom and car2ner like this.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #253 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 AM

Our dogs were allowed on the bed as puppies, but then my husband got jealous I was paying more attention to them, than him, so they got the boot, lol. I also got tired of the hair. Since Roxi passed over a week ago, we've been letting our little papillon sleep with us. We just feel bad for him because he had his cuddle buddy Roxi his whole life and now he is alone. It also comforts us since Roxi is gone. When we get a new puppy, they will be allowed in the room, in a crate or gated area. Once the puppy gets old enough to be left unsupervised in the house at night, they will be out of the room and sleep together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM

My dogs have never been on my bed, or on the couch. Personally I think dogs should be on the floor. Furniture is for people in our house. I can't imagine having a dog in my bed.
post #255 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Now that it is getting cold here, I encourage my dogs to lie on the foot of the bed and warm it up. We keep it cool in the bedroom. When we get into bed, they jump off on their own. There isn't enough room for the 4 of us.
selzer likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #256 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

The dogs asleep in my bed well max Luna likes to sleep downstairs she will making her rounds. At least I know she is on patrol down stairs. I like it cool max has plenty of room so he will sleep their all night. I put a another sheet down on the bed. If my dog had fleas or ticks the entire house would be infested. So there are products out there to prevent that. The hair is a pain why I put another sheet down and change the sheets often. The dogs are cuddly but our chihuahua is the most snuggliest he is so warm he will sleep with my daughter but as all like to steal him lol! They like to make all the rounds and check out all the beds to see what?s more cozy. If they are clean and not smelly I let them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7930BDE-7787-4EA0-BD07-80703F2BF0B3_1510761528734.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	460050   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3631161-EE81-43BD-A0B9-15D96B52EDEB_1510761556563.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	460058   Click image for larger version

Name:	D1F38681-D5B6-4E19-88F2-790722F89B78_1510761638686.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	460066  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #257 of 260 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:44 PM

two of our dogs sleep in our bed with us, the third is a young high energy dog and needs to stay in a kennel at night or **** go crazy with no one to play with awake.
post #258 of 260 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Not bad at all. My dog is often invited to share my bed, but generally sleeps right beside my bed. He gets hot easily.
post #259 of 260 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

The only animal allowed on my bed is the cat. My dogs are too dirty. Especially now that it's starting to get into mud season, I am washing their bedding weekly, as it gets just filthy!

I have an heirloom hand-made quilt on my bed, and I don't want the dogs sleeping on that, and causing premature wear. It's the sort of thing that will be damaged by frequent washing, too.
post #260 of 260 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight12 View Post
My last gsd liked to sleep with me when she was a puppy and we both slepted better, and when she got older she quit, like the bed was not big enough for both of us.
This is my experience!!!!! Alex used to go to bed before we did... in our bed. So then we would go to bed and he would get disgusted and leave. I really think he thought we should be on the floor/couch/dog bed and he was the owner of the comfy king sized bed!

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page