Is it bad to allow your GSD to sleep in your bed with you? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
I have read that it messes with pack structure (I think on Leerburg), and you should never let them, they will not respect you as pack leader.
I was taught this in class, me being the skeptic that i am, I let Max sleep in the bed with me for a few days, and sure enough, you could see a change in his willingness to obey commands

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Knighted Member

I really think it depends on the dog(s). I don't allow new dogs to just decide that they want to be on the furniture,but after the rules are established and followed, I will allow them up on the bed. I haven't had any problems with dogs becoming unruly or taking over the furniture. When we are ready to go to to bed,the dogs know that they have to get down and they are ok with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I was told they should not come up on the bed or couch for the first year, until it's firmly established that you are the pack leader. My pup likes her crate anyway, and it's beside my bed.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Knighted Member

I guess they use the one year as a rule, to make sure the dogs place in the pack is established.

Frankly, I don't want the dog hair on my bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaier941 View Post
First post, dont hold back

My 5 month old GSD has his own bed, and uses it most nights, however some nights I need to go to sleep and he just isn't getting bored or comfy, If I let him in my bed with me he goes right to sleep. Now Im aware this might not be the best thing down the road. But if i continue to do this, is it really going to haunt me in the future?

Not as long as he doesn't wet the bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or bite you if you roll over on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

One time Carmspack on here said something about e coli and not letting them in bed with you. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for me, not a fan, but I see nothing wrong with it if people enjoy it and it doesn't affect the dog's behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rosa
I allow my 12 week old gsd to sleep in the bed with me, but there is also a dog bed on the floor beside my bed which sometimes he gets down into instead, when he is a little older he will be sleeping with the other dogs in the kitchen at night. Just want make sure everyone is firm friends before they are left over night together.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

Mine are not allowed on my bed, it is a personal preference. They hog covers and take too much room. They were allowed to sleep with the kids and the kids and dogs loved it.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Mine are not allowed on my bed, it is a personal preference. They hog covers and take too much room. They were allowed to sleep with the kids and the kids and dogs loved it.
If your dogs are very active "dreamers" they can make it hard to get to sleep. Tuke kicks her legs as if she is running. If I nudge her, she gets down on her own bed though.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Lexi does sometimes. She was never allowed as a small puppy but when we got our new bed it was much lower than the last one and she could jump up easily. She doesn't do it too much and if she's in the way my boyfriend nudges her onto the floor into her bed. Once he's out of bed she likes to come and snuggle under my arm. Duke doesn't really come on the bed when we're sleeping but when I go into our room to get something he'll jump on it and then get off as soon as I walk out of the room.

Lexi - 19th May 2012
Duke - 06th March 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Knighted Member

well up until lately I did not allow a dog in my room, and I there is no way one will get on my bed .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in