Dog Parks - Good? Bad? Indifferent? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 164 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 AM

I'm of the opinion that any time you go to a dog park, regardless of how well your dog is trained, there's a risk. Dogs are animals, and as such there's always the chance there could be a scuffle or a fight or just a freak accident. It happens.

That said, there's a dog park attached to my apartment complex and I love it. I know most of the people and their dogs, and I know exactly which dogs that my two dogs love to play with or don't particularly get along with. Granted, my Boxer gets along with everyone, so he's not really an issue. If another dog tries to start something with him, he'll just back off.

My Shepherd, on the other hand, isn't opposed to accepting a challenge from another dog, but I'm at the point now that it's easy for me to recognize when things are getting snippy and quickly recall him. He automatically sits and waits when a dog enters the park, and that helps immensely in avoiding problems. I've even got him to a training point where he will actively avoid playing with little dogs and dogs he doesn't particularly care for, thus eliminating problems before they start.

Really, though, the park is just great for burning off excess energy, especially after I've been at work all day. I can take my dogs on a long walk or jog, but nothing tires them out quite as well as thirty minutes of hard running in the park. It's actually kind of nice letting the Shepherd (he's still got that puppy energy) get a nice run in at the park before taking him on a long walk. He behaves so much better after fifteen minutes of running around like a jackass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Elite Member

Dog parks are for other people as far as I'm concerned. My dogs are socialized with dogs we know (friends and or in classes) we don't need them to meet exercise requirements, get attacked, disease or learn obnoxious behaviors. Yeah, you could say I'm fully against them. lol

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Elite Member

I brought apache for our 4th visit today, she still prefers me to all the dogs. And she hasnt started a fight yet, and meets every human in the park. Horrible, right codmaster? She may not protect me since shes not dominant over adult dogs... Thats ok though, I dont need my dog to protect me, if she ever did bite someone shed be put down after 2 strikes, thats something to consider when you train a so called attack dog to be unstable.

Last edited by volcano; 03-23-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Elite Member

Ill also add, today was gsd day at the park. I think there were 6 at once and around 9 in the few hours I was there. Gsd arent super social from what I see, I can barely get one to stop and let me pet them. But my girl is the exception, she meets and loves everyone. I hope she stays this way.

Last edited by volcano; 03-23-2013 at 02:04 AM.
post #45 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Ill also add, today was gsd day at the park. I think there were 6 at once and around 9 in the few hours I was there. Gsd arent super social from what I see, I can barely get one to stop and let me pet them. But my girl is the exception, she meets and loves everyone. I hope she stays this way.

Heh! Heh! Heh!

Just Great luck for you to have one of the social GSD's.
post #46 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
I brought apache for our 4th visit today, she still prefers me to all the dogs. And she hasnt started a fight yet, and meets every human in the park. Horrible, right codmaster? She may not protect me since shes not dominant over adult dogs... Thats ok though, I dont need my dog to protect me, if she ever did bite someone shed be put down after 2 strikes, thats something to consider when you train a so called attack dog to be unstable.

Also great for you not to "train a so called attack dog to be unstable".

One small thing - can you explain how you go about training a dog to be "unstable"? What do you mean by "unstable"?

And while you are at it - what is a "so called attack dog"?

Why would your dog have to be "dominant over adult dogs" to try to protect you if you were attacked? I can't see a connection - unless you are referring to you being attacked only by adult dogs?

Interesting post.
post #47 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
And she hasnt started a fight yet, and meets every human in the park.
Its not her starting a fight that you have to worry about. A fight can break out in a split second, I know this because my dog was attacked at a dog park. And do you know what my dog was doing when he was attacked? Walking past a group of dogs, he didn't stop to say hi, he was just walking and that Rott was on him in seconds, there was nothing to stop because it happened so fast and getting that dog off mine seemed like it took hours. He never started a fight and he loves people to, but the other dog had other ideas and sadly my dog paid for it

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #48 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

Re: Dog Parks - Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
I think it depends on the type of park. A small fenced in area is what a lot of people think of when they think dog park. In Ottawa our 2 major dog parks consist of acres of land with multiple walking trails through them. You can avoid the chaos if you choose to do so. I personally love taking my guys and will continue. If my only option was a small fenced in space where the dogs are pretty much forced to mingle then I wouldn't go. Also, for those of us who live in apartments, the dog park is the only opportunity we have to let our dogs run off leash.
Where in ottawa are they?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #49 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

We go to the dog park rarely. Maybe 4 times a year if that. I don't really have issues with the other dogs. I have issues with their owners. They don't train their dogs and let them do whatever....

If we go, we try to go very early and when the idiots start showing up we leave.
post #50 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

I like dog parks for what they are; a prime socialization spot. When we were in Pgh, not many people in our social group had dogs. One friend had four, but past that, none. I knew early socialization was key and since we couldn't do puppy classes, dog parks were the next best thing. We stopped going on a regular basis once Finn turned three just simply because our social circle opened up a bit more to include more dogs and we were getting involved in other dog oriented things.

I don't mind dog parks at all.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page