Dog Parks - Good? Bad? Indifferent? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
I will go fairly often, but keep a hawk eye on every thing happening. If play gets way rough between the group, or any dog has its tail tucked during play, my boy comes back to me and waits until my clear.

What an observant dog! What does he do after you "clear"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

My GSD isn't a social dog, therefore wouldn't enjoy running around with other dogs.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 10-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Elite Member

Saber loves dog parks! We make a point of going to different ones whenever we travel, but I am very selective and look up any info or reviews on the parks before we go. I prefer BIG parks with lots of space so we have an easy out for getting distance from any weird people. It's a nice way to relax and play off leash without getting a ticket (yep they do that around here!) Saber has a lot of dog park reviews with pictures on her blog

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 PM

I like the concept of dog parks but our experience in reality was not so good. We did have some great days and enjoyed them tremendously but the 3 bad experiences turned me off for good.

My dog was attacked (can't think of a better word, though only small amount of blood involved) three times by three different dogs. One dog was permanently banned from park after the incident (took 4 adults to pull this pit off of her). One incident was with a golden retriever. Don't know what set her off, but she beelined 40 yards or so from across park and jumped on Isa, snarling biting and growling. Isa was not doing anything but standing near me. Those people (I hear) never came back again and they were very apologetic. It was so weird, they had been in park together before and the golden had never even looked cross-eyed at her. The other time was a pit again whose owner did pull her away and went outside the fence until we left....though as I was leaving just a few minutes later, came over and told me that my dog needed to "toughen up".

Our park does not have separate area for small dogs and people bring all kinds of balls, frisbees and tugs. Made me a nervous wreck. It only takes a few seconds for something tragic to happen.

We will never go back again. Isa has some playmates where they can play safely in fenced yards and she lives with other dogs, so that will have to be her free play time.

Last edited by kitmcd; 10-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM

My favorite "dog park" here is probably most posters' worst nightmare. It's only about 7000 sq feet, the footing is wood chips, large and small dogs mix together, and it's nearly always packed. BUT, it's also a beer and wine bar .Boneyard Dog Park & Drinkery, Houston's First Dog Park Beer and Wine Bar Hence its popularity! Owners grab a beer at the bar and head out back to the fenced in park and sit and chat at the picnic tables scattered about. Rules are pretty standard, and I really like the ones listed below:

Owners are liable for damage or injury inflicted by their dog(s). This means owners are legally and financially responsible for their dog’s behavior.
No dog or people food is allowed in the Dog Park.

(though I'll admit to breaking this one as I sneak in a few treats in a pocket so that I can reward my dog for a really good recall now and again)

NO CHILDREN are allowed in the Dog Park. No exceptions.
Owners must be in verbal and sight control of their dogs at all times and prevent aggressive behavior, biting, fighting, and aggressive barking. Never leave your dog(s) unattended.
Dogs must be unleashed in the transition corridor upon entering Park. ONLY ONE GATE OPEN AT A TIME. Owners must have a visible leash for each dog at all times.

Heinz and I visit about once every 2 weeks or so. He loves a good romp with other canines now and again, and I like that I can enjoy a pint while he blows off some steam. He's a smart dog, and gets out of scrums before they escalate. He'll trot over to me and wait until things calm down before jumping into the fray again. He also LOVES standing on the picnic tables - "I'm the King of the World!" and I let him get away with it there - it is the dog park, after all.

The majority of patrons are great, and since most of us are fairly regular, a lot of self-policing goes on. Fights get stopped quickly and aggressive dogs are usually promptly removed. On our last visit, a Corgi snarled at Heinz, who immediately backed down, and I didn't worry about it. His owner came running over to apologize for "Winston Churchill" and take him back to her table, which was super nice of her, but really, he was fine.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Banned

A big problem of dog parks was clearly shown by the last post - a dog "snarled' at another one. If the dog being snarled at was not a seeming wuss - FIGHT ON!

if a dog that my guy considered credible (i.e. not a usual female or a puppy or clearly a small dog - he would react defensively and "IT'S ON". And he doesn't fool around if he does take such an aggressive move by another dog as serious!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM

Wow. I was under the impression that a snarl was dog language for "Buddy, I mean it, GO AWAY before I use my teeth". So my "seeming wuss" of a GSD is in fact correctly interpreting that he'd be better off going to play with another dog. Which he does, and everyone's romp at the park continues without bloodshed.

Obviously, if a dog responds to the canine equivalent of a verbal warning with instant escalation, he's not going to do real well in a crowded dog park.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Knighted Member

I want to go to the Boneyard! What a cool place - and what a wonderful bunch of dog lovers they must be to have the adoption events, and the wall. Lucky you, sunsets.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM

I take bubbles when the park is empty. I go to the small side. I let her wander and play . She loves when this lady brings her basset hound. Bubbles likes to crawl all over the basset hound and sit next to the basset. When people start coming and there's a lot of dogs. Bubbles sits in my lap and watches all the Chihuahuas play. After 15 minutes of watching Chihuahuas we go home BC the park gets to crowded.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsets View Post
Wow. I was under the impression that a snarl was dog language for "Buddy, I mean it, GO AWAY before I use my teeth". So my "seeming wuss" of a GSD is in fact correctly interpreting that he'd be better off going to play with another dog. Which he does, and everyone's romp at the park continues without bloodshed.

Obviously, if a dog responds to the canine equivalent of a verbal warning with instant escalation, he's not going to do real well in a crowded dog park.

Wonder where you got that impression of a "snarl", your dog tell you?

But if that is what you want to believe, by all means do so.

What do you think your dog might do if someone challenges you in that same manner when he is with you? Go and play with another dog?

If he wouldn't stand up for himself when challenged, you think he would do so for you?

Or maybe your guy just thought that he must have been doing something wrong himself when the other dog "snarled" at him so figured he would just back down from whatever he was doing wrong and "go play with another dog"?

Of course, if you are happy with him, then by all means that is good.

Personally my dog is not "dog park" material, as he will respond to a physical challenge from another dog. And I have seen too many not very social dogs in the few dog parks that we have visited.

Although he is very good with most dogs and esp. with female dogs and young dogs.

I do think, however, that dog parks make very good training environments and use them frequently from the outside by walking around the outside from a distance and using the common rushes from dogs inside the fence to set great distractions while we are training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in