If you could change 'anything' about your dog, what would it be? - Page 17 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 164 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Both of us are entering the senior years and like old married couples, we know each other like a book and still remain friends in spite of our "faults" :-p

They become more perfect as they age. Like the old married couple (same for us, ha, ha) we don't have to say much to understand each other but of course we keep chatting, both to dog and DH.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 AM

Nothing. He's a dream boat.
post #163 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Elite Member

Not sure if I've contributed to this before, but if I did he was younger.

His "Happy Greeting Threshold". Sounds awful, right?

Environmentally, on the field, in the home, during bite work..no evidence of a concerning nerve threshold issue. I don't see it, experienced helpers and trainers see nothing of the sort. No issues with gunfire, climbing unstable objects, will run up and down a see through fire escape. Is fine with people around as long as a stranger doesn't mug him. He isn't nuts about people in the dark with hoodies..but he is a big face examiner type dog. He doesn't spook, but he does give it a stare as we pass. So that is all fine with me.

He can't, however, contain himself with greetings to his handler when he is released from his crate. Got him to the point where he wont jump ON me, but he does laps around me, accidentally body checks me (oh he has ZERO rear end awareness. Yes we are trying a bowl and positioning methods. Between my novice status and his advanced age we may just have to accept his arse end swinging out a bit during OB patterns. Not going to Worlds anyway). Then he just POOF has an off switch and he is done. If he has an object to carry he can contain himself (and I am not disappointed he makes an effort to do so)..this usually works out well, except for when it is a metal pogo stick or a toy vacuum. Shin smash!

He will sometimes act up a little if my reward is too effusive during OB too. That is easy to control..I just can't squeal "goooood boyyyyyy". A well toned "Supah!" and a tug is all he needs, it makes him happy and he keeps it together. Elmo voice will get you 95lbs tying you up with major celebration lol "Do not use falsetto around this dog"

Then again, he is only 21 months old. Will probably hopefully resolve by ...oh...age 3 lol

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 AM

He sounds so fun! How exciting, a new pup on the way too <3 My guy gives me the cutest greetings, all wags and "talking"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Not sure if I've contributed to this before, but if I did he was younger.

His "Happy Greeting Threshold". Sounds awful, right?

Environmentally, on the field, in the home, during bite work..no evidence of a concerning nerve threshold issue. I don't see it, experienced helpers and trainers see nothing of the sort. No issues with gunfire, climbing unstable objects, will run up and down a see through fire escape. Is fine with people around as long as a stranger doesn't mug him. He isn't nuts about people in the dark with hoodies..but he is a big face examiner type dog. He doesn't spook, but he does give it a stare as we pass. So that is all fine with me.

He can't, however, contain himself with greetings to his handler when he is released from his crate. Got him to the point where he wont jump ON me, but he does laps around me, accidentally body checks me (oh he has ZERO rear end awareness. Yes we are trying a bowl and positioning methods. Between my novice status and his advanced age we may just have to accept his arse end swinging out a bit during OB patterns. Not going to Worlds anyway). Then he just POOF has an off switch and he is done. If he has an object to carry he can contain himself (and I am not disappointed he makes an effort to do so)..this usually works out well, except for when it is a metal pogo stick or a toy vacuum. Shin smash!

He will sometimes act up a little if my reward is too effusive during OB too. That is easy to control..I just can't squeal "goooood boyyyyyy". A well toned "Supah!" and a tug is all he needs, it makes him happy and he keeps it together. Elmo voice will get you 95lbs tying you up with major celebration lol "Do not use falsetto around this dog"

Then again, he is only 21 months old. Will probably hopefully resolve by ...oh...age 3 lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page