Owning A Dog Pack - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

I've had up to 5 dogs at a time. If the doggie personalities work together, you can afford to feed, vet and have the time to spend with them then I don't think it is anyone's business. My husband works with a guy who has 8 Chihuahuas and they do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
People should have to get a liscence before they get even one dog. Most people shouldn't have any.
That's a very slippery slope. I don't disagree with the emotion behind the statement, but we must be careful for what we wish for.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

I have four and wouldn't do it again. It really is just too much. I love them all dearly, though, so it is what it is. They're all well provided for, health care needs, nutrition needs, exercise, etc... but my needs aren't met. I used to be a pretty social person... agh, not so much anymore. I don't have time.

I say have as many dogs as you can manage, provided they're taken care of properly. Even a dog that doesn't get the "proper" amount of time, is a dog not in a shelter facing euth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM

I have 6. 4 different breeds and they all get along great
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Crowned Member

With those with more than 3 - how to manage financially (don't answer if you don't feel comfortable) with providing adequate health care and nutrition? I can't imagine paying for more than 3 dogs - especially large dogs!

I fed raw, so even just storing the amount of food needed for all those dogs seems like a big job to me!

Also, with those with multiple dogs in different training venues - how do you manage - time wise (with work and your other dogs?)?

I have one in herding, one in schutzhund and the one in schutzhund is also starting agility in a few weeks... all my time (and money!) is going to this lately or gas money to get there. And now that one is trialing, money is spent on fees and gas to and from trials. I can't imagine doing this with more than 1-2 dogs.

Kudos to those who do it - it's a dream to have more than 2-3 dogs, all involved in different sports, etc... just can't imagine actually doing it right now - especially with working full time.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
With those with more than 3 - how to manage financially (don't answer if you don't feel comfortable) with providing adequate health care and nutrition? I can't imagine paying for more than 3 dogs - especially large dogs!

I fed raw, so even just storing the amount of food needed for all those dogs seems like a big job to me!

Also, with those with multiple dogs in different training venues - how do you manage - time wise (with work and your other dogs?)?

I have one in herding, one in schutzhund and the one in schutzhund is also starting agility in a few weeks... all my time (and money!) is going to this lately or gas money to get there. And now that one is trialing, money is spent on fees and gas to and from trials. I can't imagine doing this with more than 1-2 dogs.

Kudos to those who do it - it's a dream to have more than 2-3 dogs, all involved in different sports, etc... just can't imagine actually doing it right now - especially with working full time.
I can't feed raw because we barely have enough room in our fridge for people food, let alone bulk orders for 3+ dogs. I use kibble and it costs about $100 a month depending on the brand (I use California Natural, Fromm, and Earthborne Holistics). That feeds three large males ages 2-6. For me the added expense and work of feeding raw is not worth it because all my dogs are healthy, active, don't smell, healthy coats, no tummy problems or allergies. I also feed table scraps and give them raw when it's available (people give me their old venison). To me it's not worth the food costing so much more *and* having to buy a new freezer and deal with storing bulk orders when my dogs can't be any healthier than they already are. Also we travel a lot and raw is not feasible, the dogs would be on kibble every weekend anyway. I don't have room for large coolers in my van since we're already hauling 4-5 dogs and 3 people and where we go does not have coolers/freezer chests either.

Training-wise, the expenses don't really matter because Schutzhund and flyball cost the same whether I have 1 dog or 2 dogs. Only entry fees cost more for multiple dogs. It takes the same amount of gas to get there and back and the same hotel rooms for 1 dog vs 2, 3....

I don't take my dogs to the vet unless they need to go. I do my own heartworm preventative which again costs the same regardless of how many dogs I have because the bottle expires before I can use it all whether I have 3 dogs or 10 dogs.

For the most part, my dogs don't really have their own gear other than they each have a collar with ID plate and their own prong collars. Pan's flyball harness used to be Kenya's and Nikon's flyball harness was Ike's. The dogs "share" leashes, lines, tabs, toys.

If I had less than 3 dogs the most noticeable different would be food cost.

I also foster puppies and might be getting a new foster puppy next week. though they typically come with their own food.

Last edited by Liesje; 07-06-2012 at 10:43 AM.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM

I spend 200 a month on natures balance dog food with 6 . I only have one right now in obeidence classes/agility and that's 110.00 every 6 weeks. Vet bills are the highest cost about 150.00 a month for checkup's and preventivites. That's without anyone having any issues. Toys I buy a couple different things every weekend so they have a box full. Antlers are pretty expensive but last a long time.
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I say have as many dogs as you can manage, provided they're taken care of properly. Even a dog that doesn't get the "proper" amount of time, is a dog not in a shelter facing euth.
This is my feeling. All ours are s/n and taken to the vet if something needs addressed.
I do my own dentals and keep the dog's teeth up, brushing as necessary too, so they don't have to visit a vet for those things.
We are at 9 personal dogs (6 Dachshunds, two are long term fosters due to health issues) and right now, 3 fosters living in our home.
Only two of our dogs are over 20lb, Libby and Ruger.
We feed Kirkland Signature unless we have allergic dogs, then they get Natural Balance and/or Taste of the Wild Pacific stream.

They keep each other company and enjoy one another, but they do need daily snuggles.
Three sleep on my bed, 1 slept on my son's until he moved out, now he's with my daughter who has 3 on her bed now and one on the floor in her room.
That helps us give individual attention at night time, anyway

Quote:
interrupting behaviors that can lead to problems,
You definitely have to know triggers! Food/begging is the worst here. When we get lazy and let them beg, things can go haywire. Now we stop it before it starts. Breaking their routines helps, if the start to get ocd about something, for instance.

Last edited by msvette2u; 07-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Knighted Member

Agree with Liesje. The biggest issue is dog food and treats. I probably spend 300$/month on just food/treats for my 3.

Training isn't an issue because I spend the same time/money to bring one that I spend to bring 3. It's more cost efficient if I bring more! That's my reasoning at least

Also the time spent training goes up dramatically. It's not easy with studying, work and life commitments. I definitely put my social life in the back seat. I don't go out as much anymore and don't spend as much time with friends. But I wouldn't have it any other way! I'm trying hard to get my two GSDs their BH and SG before the next one comes along.

As long as you can provide for and support your dogs, there is no reason for anyone else to tell you how many you can and can't have. If the animals are cared for, safe, happy and thriving, who is to say how many is too many? I'll add as many as I feel is right for me.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE
I have 6 dogs and honestly they are a piece of cake for me, BUT, I am also heavily into horses and have my own horse property so I don't have to exercise my dogs every day, they get plenty on their own just following me around and playing with each other, I have 2 German Shepherds ( one is currently on loan) 3 terriers, and a Chihuahua, when Gavin my show German Shepherd is home we do Schutzhund and hit shows, the Cairn Terriers do occasional Go to Ground competitions and the other Shepherd goes on trail rides with me. I feed my dogs Fromm Gold and buy usually a bag every 5 to 6 weeks, less now that Gavin is gone, I also feed EVO canned meat and one can is split up between all the dogs in their kibble, they also get a plethora of chews, bones and treats, so I spend probably between 200-300 a month. I vaccinate my own dogs as needed and do most of my veterinary care on both my dogs and horses, I don't use Vets unless I need to, I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle basic care, injuries, scrapes etc..

If I didn't have the lifestyle I have, there is no way I would have as many dogs and certainly not the breeds I have, but since I have always been into horses and the outdoors the breeds compliment my lifestyle perfectly, they all get along and I have absolutely no complaints or regrets, I love having multiple dogs, more to love.

INTCH, U-GRCH V Alta-Tollhaus Gavin schH3, UWP, KKL1a, OFA EXCELLENT, DM-Clear
MHDW ( Most Handsome Dog In World)

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page