How much exercise does your dog require each day? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Master Member

How much exercise does your dog require each day?

Edit: didn't mean to comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 AM

Rudy was rescued at 10 months, he's now 15 months and about 90# with bad hips. He gets about an hour long free running,fetching, playing hide n seek 2-3 times a day with us and the toys then 2-3 training walks of 1-2miles per, and some in home games and yard games like down-stay, hide and seek, etc. I work full time, but between my retired husband and I, this is pretty much it. Except there's one fave:a big old field with a pond and creek, where the city has been apparently dumping old equipment. That's his "WonderDog Boy Explorer" area.
post #83 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM
njk

Our girl used to get quite a bit - morning walk, fetch a few times, evening walk, plus training sessions. I live in the Outback though, so it's too hot to do much during the day. When she wants to play fetch in the afternoon she lasts like three throws then she's too hot and goes inside and sleeps on the tiles lol but anyway, I say 'used to' because now it depends on my partner's schedule as unfortunately I still haven't managed to teach her heel correctly and she's too strong for me to walk now.

I bought a flirt pole to try and compensate for when my fiancé is at work (he's 4 on, 4 off on the mines). When he's off, we take her to one of the ovals in the evenings and she runs with us. But she does need a lot of exercise, and I play fetch with her quite a bit in our yard as well as with the flirt pole (which she loves, and it poops her out too thankfully). I'd advise straight up trying to work on heel, it's so beneficial. I'm bummed it's come to this, one of the things I looked forward to when she arrived was walking with her, as I love to walk. We have no trainer up here so I have to keep trying on my own lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zelda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Have you tried soccer?

Wendy is ball driven. She loves any ball, but I bought her a big (soccer) size ball. She is in love with it. We play soccer in the yard...I kick the ball to her, and she hits it with another one that she has in her mouth! We jog in the morning and she loves it!
post #85 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 AM

It is very very difficult to get Alice to exercise. She is more into chewing stuff. Give her a ball n she'd chase it for what, about 5 mins then she'd start chewing on it, even if it is a soccer ball. I don't have the stamina to play chase with her either so it is just about 5 mins of running with me too. Most of the time, I just dump her in the pool n force her to swim for about 20-30 mins (she hates it but it is the only way) n later in the evening I take her out for walks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Alice13; 05-14-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #86 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice13 View Post
It is very very difficult to get Alice to exercise. She is more into chewing stuff. Give her a ball n she'd chase it for what, about 5 mins then she'd start chewing on it, even if it is a soccer ball. I don't have the stamina to play chase with her either so it is just about 5 mins of running with me too. Most of the time, I just dump her in the pool n force her to swim for about 20-30 mins (she hates it but it is the only way) n later in the evening I take her out for walks.

You could try multiple balls and a chuck-it. Stand in the middle of the field and launch it, forcing her to sprint a long distance. If she doesn't bring it back, launch another ball the opposite direction. Now she has to cover twice the distance. My Empire can only take about 15 minutes of this before he plops down in the shade somewhere.

post #87 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylonjonesj View Post
I just rescued my derg (full bred working line) like a month ago and he was cooped up in louisiana or something for a month in a kill shelter before he got up to minneapolis. This is my first dog that is all mine and not a family dog. He was then cooped up for another 3 weeks here and they were going to give him the needle and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I live in the highest density neighborhood in minneapolis and don't have a yard. I run my gsd like 10-15 miles a day. On top of that he gets like a 2-3 mile walk and two short "pee" walks. This to me seems like not even enough exercise and I constantly fret about how to do more with him. Plus we do like 3-4 training sessions because he is mad fearful and mad aggressive toward people so obedience is absolutely essential. From reading all these posts I feel like
A. you are all completely out of shape and your dogs are not getting enough OR
B. Im F8C**ng nuts and i am over exercising him
PS. I always keep him under threshold while training him.
Am I doing too much? I like to keep him exhausted. He's so much less stressed and fearful that way.
Dogs can have massive variations in needs even between individuals of the same breed. One of my past rottweilers absolutely could not settle until he had spent the entire day from 8am-6pm running the cattle with me. I've had other dogs that just wanted to play a five minute game of fetch a day and hang out the rest of the time. And still others (like my current one) that are somewhere in between.

German Shepherds do typically require more exercise and mental stimulation than most breeds, but it sounds like you may be going a bit overboard with the exercise? 10-15 mile runs seem a bit extensive. Runs are definitely good, but you don't want to build his stamina to a point that he expects to easily do 15 miles! Well, unless you're aiming for that for a specific reason (like bikejoring or something).

I also notice it sounds like you worry about making sure he's always tired enough to not stress? It's important that dogs learn to be able to control themselves and relax. Relaxing can absolutely be a learned behavior and doesn't always have to happen only after intense exercise. If he's insecure, using positive reinforcement to encourage relaxation around the house can not only help his confidence, but can help him lower his stress.

Another thing I'd consider is making the training and exercise a combined activity. It sounds like exercise and training sessions each have separate time? If he likes to tug or chase a ball, you can work training into a game. Have him work for a toy or a game with you. I've found that when I use a game balanced with both exercise and training, it tires my dog out more thoroughly than either one can do alone.
post #88 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Mine is three years of age Had him five months now He gets three hours of exercise each nite Ten days then two days of nothing
The three hours break down
Leash work in closed conditions (no distractions) One hour
Swimming in river/ocean One hour
Leash work in public (lots of distractions)
Each morning a hour of just play
Each session starts with grooming
Makes for a long day for sure The days off are for myself
post #89 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM

The local dog park has saved me.

I can train / play fetch with my dog for 30 minutes in the morning in my backyard, then give her 1 - 2 hours of run in the dog park. And then she's done for the day, exhausted, content, and happy.

If it wasn't for the dog park, I'd be overwhelmed by the time requirement of keeping a GSD exercised and happy.
post #90 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM

Mine is basically 18 months and he does an average of 5 miles a day. He's getting older and seems to be getting a little more stubborn so it's an issue I need to start working on myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page