How much exercise does your dog require each day? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Master Member

At 14 1/2, Buddy is content walking in the fields with me or taking walks in town. He still occasionally will gallop in glee across the yard or run along the lawn tractor. I have to watch him on the in-town walks because he wants to go further than he physically can now, over-tires and starts to drag his back paws a bit, so I cut him down to two aproximately blocks out and two back.

Rey just turned 2 and is FA, has to be kept on a leash, so she can only run as fast as I can, which really isn't very fast. It's a shame. She really likes to zoom and I can't trust her to, nor can I afford the fence I'd like to put up. So I chase her around the couch at night and let her have her zoomie time. She also likes to run and slide in the basement. She backed out of her collar one night and just ran as fast as she could, racing across the yard in big circles in absolute glee. I wish I could let her do that. Tried a friend's fenced in acre, but Rey was too busy freaking over the newness of it there.

Both my dogs get walked at 10:00 a.m., around 1:00 p.m., right before work at 3:00 p.m., my dinner break and both work breaks. If it's a nice day, then the time between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. (when I start work) may be hours of outdoor exercise and snooping around. Oh, and there's the baby pools, too. Buddy lays in his, Rey furiously paddles and bites the water playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

On my four work days Benny gets an hour 3 mile walk ( mostly off leash in the morning followed by some tracking. He is home for the rest of the day with our other dogs, with some play break but mostly just resting.

On my three days off in addition to the 3 mile walk and tracking we do obedience, play fetch, sometimes go to the river.
He settle easily in the house but if he does not have enough exercise ( mental or physical) will stare at me.

Benny does not like the heat very well and on hot days after about 10 minutes of fetch he likes to just lay next to me under a shady tree.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Master Member

Everyday my shep mix has too get excersise or she will find trouble. We do a good frisbee session followed by a walk or run. Other days she runs with me on a few mile mt bike trail.

My old dog meatball that can not walk around the block his exercise is walking from his bed to the out side bed. Our little 6 year old Pom goes on walks and will chase stuff. All my dogs swim too that's the best and only way we can really exercise meat ball because is joints are so bad.

Cookie - 4yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 8 Yr Pom/chi mix
Meatball- OLD! pit bull rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

Lucky gets 4 to 5 fetch sessions on the weekends w/ a couple of two mile walks . Daisy walks around our perimeter and chases her brother she gets two 20 minute sessions per day.. They both run the fence when the neighbors cows (show heifers) do their mini stampede.
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 AM

Its interesting reading how much everyone exercises their GSD's...

After a recent visit to my vet for a routine checkup my vet (who looks after the citys police GSD's as well) told me that Harry was going to be a monster (currently 7 months old and 35kgs - 77 pounds) and that i should only exercise Harry on "his own terms" or it would cause him big problems down the road.

When i asked for more info, he said no fetch, nothing that involves jumping, no chasing, no walks. Basically nothing extra from what Harry does on his own in the backyard and the weekly behaviour classes.

Thoughts?
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Elite Member

It sounds like, because Harry is a big boy and growing fast, the vet wants you to be careful not to put to much stress on his bones and joints until he is done growing.

For pups of any size it is important not to let them run too much( especially on hard surfaces )or jump to high ( like from the back of a truck) until they are done with their rapid growth.

Hip problems can be caused by environment and not just genetics.

Once Harry is done with the rapid growth he will need and enjoy more hardy exercise

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbieg View Post
It sounds like, because Harry is a big boy and growing fast, the vet wants you to be careful not to put to much stress on his bones and joints until he is done growing.

For pups of any size it is important not to let them run too much( especially on hard surfaces )or jump to high ( like from the back of a truck) until they are done with their rapid growth.

Hip problems can be caused by environment and not just genetics.

Once Harry is done with the rapid growth he will need and enjoy more hardy exercise
I see, thanks Debbieg, i must admit the way the vet spoke about it all seemed very "doom and gloom".

Harry spends a large potion of his time when we are home inside the house and we have hardwood floors which he slips and slides all over the place on. Is this going to be detrimental? We dont let him jump much, but when we get home from work he can be a bit hard to settle.
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farles83 View Post

Harry spends a large potion of his time when we are home inside the house and we have hardwood floors which he slips and slides all over the place on. Is this going to be detrimental? We dont let him jump much, but when we get home from work he can be a bit hard to settle.
Slipping and sliding, ordinary puppy won't hurt him. It is good to take him for lots of long walks and let him play tug games, play fetch and run in the grass. Swimming is great too! Do some training exercises and maybe work on a few tricks. GSD's need mental work as much as physical. When Benny was Harry's age we got a larger plastic kiddie pool and he loved just splashing every last drop of water out. It kept him cool, was easy on his joints and gave him lots of exercise. At age three he still loves it!

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Knighted Member

All three dogs get a long power walk in the morning and late in the evening. In addition to that I also incorporate some short training sessions throughout the day. The 9 year old doesn't need quite as much as the other two,but she still has the energy to get out and want to do stuff.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Master Member

mine might be a little different since shes a Belgian Malinois/shepard mix but.
5 Miles per day
2.5 in the morning at 630AM and when i get home from work at 5:30
Play fetch in the backyard for at least an hour flying back and forth
Zoey could run 10 miles and would want to run even more. crazy dog!

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page