How much exercise does your dog require each day? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Knighted Member

Heidi is almost 11 years old, so at this time we are exercising together when and if we feel like it (and we are loving it). She can walk 4-5 miles and occasionally we do, but at times, she does more sniffing than brisk walking.

When Heidi was young, I tried to get her out for extensive exercise each weekend day, such as running at the park or a long at least 3-4 mile walk. She was never a great fetch dog, so can't be exercised well with a ball like my labs can. On weekdays, I attempted to get Heidi out for at least a short walk each day after work.

Realistically speaking, there are times when Heidi didn't get a lot of exercise. If you work full-time and have a family and a home to care for, quite frankly your dog isn't going to receive three or four hours a day of running and play. Heidi was always happy and good with whatever I had time for, but she was never a real high drive dog. I would say try for at least an hour on weekends and something on weekdays and then go from there considering the individual dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Knighted Member

My dogs are quite content with our daily 45 minute to 1 hour walk and thier yard time. My youngest is almost 2-1/2 and she never really required hours and hours of exercise. Don't get me wrong I usually have to do something otherwise she'll get bored, but on those days when weather or something else prevents us from going out all 3 are ok with just hanging out.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Master Member

Huxley is a slug compared to my lab But he goes to obedience 1 day a week, agility another, walks (about 2 miles total) and practice daily, and the lake on weekends and weekday evenings if we can get there

Plus romping with the lab- I get tired just watching that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Knighted Member

Mikko is 6 1/2.
On weekdays we go for a 1/2 walk in the morning and an hour walk in the evening (sometimes 1.5 hrs on Fridays) and sometimes play fetch and find it in the yard for 15-20 minutes.
We practice agility in the yard for short 10-15 minute sessions a few times a week and do 10 minute strength training a few times a week.
We go to agility training twice a week (in place of the evening walks).
On the weekends, we go to the dog park and swim and run for 1-2 hrs or do a long 2 hr walk.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh Dear [email protected] 10 months.....I can run him ragged and 30 minutes later he is into something......today we learned that fence put under gravel needs REALLY good anchoring because once you start peeling it up it is a lot of fun. Hmmmm really that was his weight training for the day I guess.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Elite Member

Saber is an 18 month old working line pup. When she was under a year old she was ALWAYS wanting go-go-go, getting into stuff if she was bored, pacing around ringing the potty bell 500 times or emptying my daughter's toy box and undressing all the Barbies. She needed WAY more physical/mental outlet than she does now. Seems like her "off switch" kicked in after a year or 14 months and now she settles nicely in the house.

Daily activity now:
vigorous fetching sessions in the yard: 10-15 minutes, about 5 times a day
walk a mile a day on leash for sniffs and potties
trip to the dog park about 4 days a week for at least an hour, vigorously playing with her doggie friends
kibble search once a day for a meal
OB or trick training 10-15 min/evening
Dock Diving practice one hour/week
Classes 1-2 hours/week (agility, treibball, OB, whatever, but taking a break over the summer)
Tracking once a week when the club is being active

This is in addition to the basic stuff like running errands with me, being a 'watchdog', playing with the kids, tugging, just being a dog. She does very well on this level of activity but she is honestly capable of much, much more. I believe she could easily do many hours of intense activity every day and be very happy. She is very rarely tired, even after a busy day. But on days like today, where I am stuck home with a sick child, Saber is perfectly mannered and content to watch for burglars out the window, chew bones, and take naps on her princess pillow with only the fetch sessions in the yard and the kibble hunt. Great dog. Love her to bits.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:

Last edited by cassadee7; 05-24-2012 at 06:19 PM.
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 PM

My dogs are probably the laziest Shepherd mixes ever.
Crystal gets exhausted after laying around the yard. (yes, and running around.)
Nour can walk around the block then dies from overheating. Or he just lays down because he gets too tired.

My dogs are so lazy.

Gladly Owned by:
Crystal - GSD x Sheltie - 2 yo - 08/01/09 - 37 pounds

Nour I miss you so much <3 GSD x Malamute: 9/19/11
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 AM

were always spend 1 hour for our exercise, were just go to our park for our training.
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Weight pull training 3 days/week (dragging light weights for about 1/2 mile and then pulling a couple hundred pounds over a shorter 25 foot distance).

On days off it can vary. Maybe a 2 mile bike ride, a hike, a swim, or just hanging around the house on oppressively hot and humid days.

Ben vom Bauerhaus WDS, CA, CGC (GSD) 12.10.2006 - ???
Little Ms Mayhem CGC (ASTCD mix) 6.10.2011 - ???
Luna FDCH-G (BC) 9.2.2011 - ???
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 10:37 AM

For a first GSD I would say to avoid super high drive working line dogs. They may be too much. Mine is pretty laid back. He can be crazy but settles fast with a walk or a training session. He gets a lot of exercise just running in the yard but that does not seem to wind him down like a good training walk working on heal, down, stay, etc. For days I just can't get out and walk he is ball crazy so fetch is BIG time fun. Just don't plan to stick them in the yard and never play or interact. Just a trip to town keeps him happy.
Findlay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page