How much exercise does your dog require each day? - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 11:09 AM

My girl gets 1-2 walks in the morning, ranging from 20 minutes to 30 minutes around the neighborhood with some off-leash runs around a football field a couple times a week.

In the evening, we go for longer walks and on my days off we either go for a hike or play outside.

I have missed some walks with her before in the morning and she doesn't seem too bent out of shape about it. She sleeps a lot and I'm assuming because she's five years old and the last few weeks up to her adoption date (July 2nd) were pretty stressful. She came from California and was in a shelter for a couple of weeks. So getting good rest was probably impossible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 PM

I do one short walk in the morning and then we do a power walk that is a good 30-40 minutes. At the end of our long walk is the dog park where I let him play with other dogs for an hour and then we do the 40 minute walk home. Usually end the day with a quick pee break before bed as well. Took me awhile to learn the perfect routine to tucker my guy out.
post #103 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:50 PM

Well....I can take mine out to the mountain for a full day of hiking and he still has energy. Love that about him though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 PM

At least twenty minutes of brisk walking and a couple 15 minute sessions of fetch or chasing frisbie etc. on work days and full days at the beach or in the woods on days off.
post #105 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

This is a question of mine as well, since we do not have a fenced yard to allow the dogs to run. Are leashed walks enough? Using a 50 foot line? Putting up a 6x16 foot run? I like a long walk, but cannot run. I play tug and fetch and flirt pole with my dogs, and practice obedience. My first shepherd was a couch potato, whereas my second shepherd was a maniac. Hard to know what to expect when I get my new pup.

Last edited by maxtmill; 06-30-2016 at 10:51 PM.
post #106 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 AM

Charlie W I think you're very active! That's awesome. I try to give my german shepherd at least 2 hours of exercise on my days off (4 days) we probably... do like 6 hours, playing rough, flirt pole, dog beach, hikes, dog park walks my dog is 19 months old and he has lots of energy
post #107 of 110 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:07 PM

Beau is toward the high end of moderate energy. We walk 4 urban miles most mornings, and in cooler weather walk another 2 miles or more in the afternoon. During the summer it’s far too hot for afternoon walks so this summer we’re joining a doggie gym for some afternoon activity. He runs hard at the dog park one morning a week during the summer, hoping he can get more running done at the gym. Oh, plus daily training and games at home. This is enough activity to keep him easyish to live with. Not enough to wear him out.
Angelgirl likes this.
post #108 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:26 AM

Maggie is walked 2 or 3x a day. plus she goes out in the yard all day since she is not crated during the day just for bed when i cant monitor her. she has 2 friends who come over almost every night to play. When she is tired she will lay down even if we are walking. She tires easily after 10 min of running. we play frisbie or fetch almost everyday. she is iffy on tug, she will grab and just hang. fold her front feet back and all her weight pull down... i try to keep her busy when shes up so she crashes and i can then get stuff done. Its hard to paint a ceiling and have a puppy want to stand in the paint or steal the stir stick!! because i had opem heart surgery 3 years ago i feel like i dont do enough with her.
post #109 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:50 AM

Amid the mid year it's unreasonably sweltering for evening strolls so this late spring we are joining a dogie exercise center for some evening action, he runs hard at the puppy stop one morning seven days amid the mid year, trusting he can accomplish all the more running at the rec center, goodness, in addition to day by day preparing and diversions at home, this is sufficient action to keep him immature to live with, insufficient to destroy him...

Lighten up, just enjoy life, smile more, laugh more, and don’t get so worked up about things
post #110 of 110 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Quest is fine if we do nothing for a day if needed, but I can tell he's a bit bored if that does happen due to illness or extreme weather. Generally, two thirty minute fetch sessions per day, plus two thirty minute off leash runs with my Whippets, Greyhound, and him playing are plenty. He loves it if we do a leashed walk into the nearby neighborhood, too :-) He won't pester me, though, except if he finds a ball. He's ball crazed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page