Things you didn't know about GSDs - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
--The bond. I knew, but didn't know, how strong a GSD/ (mix) can bond to the owner.
Yeah I was surprised about that too. Mostly about how quickly Bianca bonded with me even though I got her when she was 4 years old and she'd lived in her previous home since she was a puppy! I had some trouble bonding with her, I think it was because it was probably too soon after I lost my Golden Retriever Ginger who was my heart dog. But she bonded with me almost instantly even though I was having trouble connecting with her.

My Golden and I had a really strong special bond. I could just move my head or hand a little and she'd know what I wanted her to do, or I could say something to her that wasn't actually a command she knew and she'd know what I meant anyway.
When I got Bianca I had trouble getting used to a dog who didn't know what I meant all the time and didn't know the hand gestures I used and things like that. She's learned some of that now but she's still now as in tune as Ginger was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

their intensity! Alot of stuff actually I've had other dogs before and did lots of researching however they never tell you that everything you read about owning a GSD and actually OWNING the darn GSD are 2 very different things! Yeah you hear everyone say they shed like crazy and you THINK you prepared for it, then you bring one home. You read about the crazy mouthiness of the "land shark" then you bring one home and start another thread about it because you are positive something is wrong with yours because it's impossible an entire breed can be so flesh hungry!

Just how smart they truly are. Everyone knows they are smart but then you own one and you actually can see their little wheels turning and them figure out how to solve a problem the fact they truly think not just obey.

How loving and loyal they truly are. All the sites say that they are loyal however seeing it in person is something VERY different.

Oh and of course the fact you will never pee in peace ever again (or the nose peaking around the shower curtain just to make sure I didn't get sucked down the drain)

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmeshx2 View Post
their intensity! Alot of stuff actually I've had other dogs before and did lots of researching however they never tell you that everything you read about owning a GSD and actually OWNING the darn GSD are 2 very different things! Yeah you hear everyone say they shed like crazy and you THINK you prepared for it, then you bring one home. You read about the crazy mouthiness of the "land shark" then you bring one home and start another thread about it because you are positive something is wrong with yours because it's impossible an entire breed can be so flesh hungry!

Just how smart they truly are. Everyone knows they are smart but then you own one and you actually can see their little wheels turning and them figure out how to solve a problem the fact they truly think not just obey.

How loving and loyal they truly are. All the sites say that they are loyal however seeing it in person is something VERY different.

Oh and of course the fact you will never pee in peace ever again (or the nose peaking around the shower curtain just to make sure I didn't get sucked down the drain)
I agree with all of the above except that I have a door to my bathroom and I use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Crowned Member

Bianca has "discovered" the bathroom recently and she now lays in there any chance she can get. Sometimes she doesn't want to move if someone wants to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
I agree with all of the above except that I have a door to my bathroom and I use it.
I used to do that, but I got tired of the cats constantly jiggling the doorknob if I locked them out when I went in, so now I don't latch it all the way.

post #45 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Elite Member

I did not know that German Shepherds were actually Fish... :P

, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #46 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Master Member

i didn't realize how much i could love a dog. i had noooo idea a dog could mean so much to me and be the love of my life lol.

but i have to say, before i got my german shepherd i read sooo many books. not once did anyone anywhere in the books mention the landshark phase!! i almost gave up my pup cause i thought it was him being too aggressive and mean, but thank god i found this forum and you all told me it was normal! i'm sooo glad i stuck it out. i think if people knew about that before getting a german shepherd less dogs would end up in rescue/shelters.
mrsbuggs likes this.
post #47 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Master Member

Got my first GSD so many years ago that I can't remember what surprised me then. But every dog is different and the things I didn't know that I do now are (most have been mentioned)

1- sensitivity. She hates getting in trouble, doesn't stop her from getting into it- but she still hates getting yelled at

2- "working line" vs "regular line/BYB"- which also equals the intensity!!

3-the "helpfullness"

4- that "houdini" gene- I have to put clips on the crate to keep her in it now and have had to since about 4 months old

5-the "water" obsession- my poor hose, or should I say hoses...she LOVES to attack them

6- the "separation anxiety" factor- this one seems to have it more than my previous and I spent lots more time with my first one ( i was in high school)

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
post #48 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
My GSD hasn't been destructive at all though and doesn't counter surf.
Haha "counter surf" that's a good one.

I wish my pup now was less destructive but he is ok as long as he can't reach or have access to anything.

But the shoessss and slippers must be put away. Geez even when i am wearing them...
And surprisingly he has only stolen a few ball ornaments off the xmas tree. I have always seen the tree/pet nightmare stereotype lol
The ironic thing was...the first ornament he took was one with a pic of my prev gsd that says "pet of the year 2005"
Vala likes this.
post #49 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM

The no. 1 thing that I did not know about gsds......they are all truely beautiful and majestic. I have not seen any that look otherwise.
mrsbuggs likes this.
post #50 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen&Bear View Post
But the shoessss and slippers must be put away. Geez even when i am wearing them...
And surprisingly he has only stolen a few ball ornaments off the xmas tree. I have always seen the tree/pet nightmare stereotype lol
LOL Bianca never bothered my slippers, until I got these fuzzy ones for Xmas, with a stuffed-animal head on the ends. As soon as I put that on my feet she started trying to grab it (thinking it was a stuffed toy). I was laughing too hard to tell her to stop. She couldn't understand why I was wearing a dog toy on my foot!
Bianca never bothers the ornaments but when I had my terrier I had to make sure there was nothing that looked remotely like a ball anywhere near the bottom. He was totally obsessed with tennis balls and squeaky balls, talk about intensity!
I've always made sure that no ornaments within dog-tail-height were breakable though just in case...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page