Things you didn't know about GSDs - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Not sure if that was meant for me but
I was alot younger then and just noticed everytime
It's not a good thing certainly
I am just surprised that he would come on to another property and behave as though it was his
My dad didn't correct him obviously or not that I recall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

A few folks mentioned it
post #33 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Although off topic...why would you let your dog guard everything like that?
Here at our home, they guard it, they lose it.
Allowing unlimited resource guarding is a set up for a big fight.
We don't allow him but he is persistent. He's almost 7months and were working on correcting this. BTW this thread is 'things you didn't know about gsd's' and that's something that surprised me with him that i haven't experienced with other breeds Ive owned.

A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know if it's something about GSDs or just my dog, but I never expected her to be so sensitive! All I have to do is tell the cats "Hey stop that!" and Bianca thinks she's in trouble and gets upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #35 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

How powerful and determined they are:

Chrono has the houdini gene, but he's more likely to use brute force to get where he wants to go than use fancy things like doorknobs .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #36 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 PM

^^OMG!!! My wife would have killed him right there!!!

One of the GSDs i grew up with was the most destructive dog we ever owned....he stole and ate entire bars of soap from the bathrooms, tubes of neosporin, ate the carpet, ate the walls, hotwheel cars, stole a roast off the counter, stole a large pizza......on and on. He grew up to be a great dog but my mom and i had to literally block the front door on several occasions to stop my dad from taking him to the pound.

My dad ended up loving him as much as the rest of us.
post #37 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 PM

I know exactly what u mean with the roast...except ours pulled the entire turkey off the counter that was cooling off for the thanksgiving fam dinner (like 15 ppl!) and chewed off the leg b4 anyone noticed
post #38 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

My dog isn't pb, but apparently received enough genes from mama to behave in many of the same ways!

Surprised me:

--This velcro thing! I thought he'd grow out of it, that it was a young pup thing. At just shy of 9 months, nope. Still waits outside the bathroom door when I shower, still wants to accompany me to the potty. Still wants to be wherever I am. Curious about every single thing I'm doing.

--The intelligence and intensity! For a mutt, this guy is pretty smart! When we're "training," he is really focused on what we're doing. I'm honestly extremely surprised by this. VERY pleasantly so. I mean, he LIKES it. He LIKES to focus and earn his treat or praise. My other two, (non-GSD) just didn't hold focus like this guy can.

--The sensitive tummy stuff is the bad "surprise." His mom was fed cheap crap (not my choice, not my dog) and she never had any issues, not a single one. (Other than a whole lot more poop) Sigh.

--The bond. I knew, but didn't know, how strong a GSD/ (mix) can bond to the owner. Sure, I saw it with my son and his WGSD... and I bonded to that dog, too, but... I didn't really understand it until Bailey. I have two other dogs and I love them with all my heart. I'm bonded to them, of course, but it isn't the same. My oldest dog is my sweetheart, but she never followed me around like this, never wanted my attention like this, never was so "driven" like this guy is. Hate to say it, but she isn't anywhere near as smart as he is. I feel like a traitor, but it's true. My middle dog is more bonded to my bf, for some stupid reason. (I exercise, feed, do almost everything - yet truth be told, she is "his" dog.)
post #39 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

The most destructive dog I had was a Chinese Shar-Pei I fostered for 8 months. He chewed the door to my bedroom, chewed the molding off next to the door of the other bedroom and also chewed several shoes and the handle of an umbrella. I still have a pair of shoes somewhere with his teeth marks in the heel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen&Bear View Post
I know exactly what u mean with the roast...except ours pulled the entire turkey off the counter that was cooling off for the thanksgiving fam dinner (like 15 ppl!) and chewed off the leg b4 anyone noticed
That's pretty bad! My Golden was a counter surfer and she stole packages of thawing chicken several times, but never a roast. Eventually my family learned not to leave anything on the counter to thaw... She also loved bread and would steal and eat whole loaves of bread.
Oh yeah she also once stole a gingerbread house off the kitchen counter, dragged it all the way into the living room to her dog bed and ate it down to the bottoms of the walls. Surprisingly she didn't get sick at all. I thought someone had thrown it out until I found the cardboard base with the bottoms of the walls attached in her bed. She never destroyed anything, just stole food. Well, except for the time she found my bait bag with treats in it.

When I was a kid my family's 15 pound Cockapoo mix once climbed on the kitchen table and started eating the cheese off the pizza that was sitting there waiting for us to eat.

My GSD hasn't been destructive at all though and doesn't counter surf.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #40 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

I had no idea how human focused GSDs can be. Not clingy but so in touch with what their owner(s) are up to and feeling. I can twitch a finger and Banjo will come over. I can smile at him and his tail will flip around some. They watch us so very closely and carefully and use that vaunted GSD mind effectively.

I also had no idea that they can be utter goofballs. Silly even. Humor in animals is debated, but I'm going to go with it exists. Mischievous maybe, he does things he knows are naughty when in the heat of play, knowing I will laugh and I SWEAR it looks like he's laughing too.

Never cook bacon while naked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page