Things you didn't know about GSDs - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

How fast they grow! Niko was a big boy so fast, it was hard to remember that inside that grown up body was still a puppy!

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
1. That some have what I call the Houdini Gene, and that the Houdini Gene is hereditary. Jenna has it, so does Bear. Jenna has gotten out of her seatbelt several times this week, and Bear practices on the wire crate in her kennel, every day I shut it, and she opens it. Last night, she was INSIDE her crate in the house, and she managed to open that. Where or where are my snap-clips when I need them? Oh, they are all holding buckets on fencing, see below.

2. Some GSDs have what I call the Bucket Gene. A dog with the bucket gene, loves to take stainless steel buckets of any size and play with them, emptying out the contents, and whirling the bucket all over the place, sometimes hiding it in snow. Odie has the Bucket Gene. Bear has a variation of it, see below.

3. A variation of the bucket gene is the Bucket-W Gene. The symptoms of this gene are blowing bubbles in the water bowl or bucket, paddling the water out of the bucket, putting toys in water bucket, putting feet in water bucket, dunking the head in the water bucket for the sheer joy of spraying it all over. This is not to be confused with the Water Gene, see below.

4. I have yet to meet a GSD without the Water Gene. I am not sure if it is only shepherds that have it. Whether you give them a bowl, or a pail, or a pot, GSDs are the messiest of drinkers. Some like to suck up a trunk full of water and carry it with them, leaving it on the bed or on the floor. Some will do this with food too, if you feed them in the kitchen and then go to the living room, they will take a mouthful and go to where they can see you lay it down and eat it at their leisure. Others just suck up a mouthful of water, turn to look at you and dribble half of it on the floor.

Bear and Cujo both lie down to eat. I mean, that's cool for Cujo who eats in the toasty warm kitchen, but Bear Cub will lay herself down on a pile of snow to eat her food. GSDs have amazingly varied personalities.

Are you sure you're not describing my dog?? He DEFINITELY has the bucket-w and the houdini genes... he actually gets out of his wire crate by pinching the bars together enough to hook a tooth through... if it wasn't so frustrating, it'd be amazing.
post #23 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Lol that's true

Picking up the FULL waterbowl, ears pointed backwards and walking around and dumping it all over would be what no.4?!?
Vala likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen&Bear View Post
Lol that's true

Picking up the FULL waterbowl, ears pointed backwards and walking around and dumping it all over would be what no.4?!?
Yupp, it's not just my dogs, yours may have 3 and 4, LOL!

Here I was thinking I had serious brain damage going on.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #25 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM

Haha they're all so cute and sweet and the smart trait oh yes
I brought him home and read about a bell on the door for potty training.
I found a bell and tied it on but he was so small and i thought he cant even reach it (this is my first pup)
So i said ok forget it dont even bother.
He is growing like a weeeed and I noticed a couple months ago that he taught HIMSELF to use it to go out! I was amazed. I had never showed him or anything.
post #26 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM

haven't read thru all of these, but
"you will never have a private moment in the bathroom again"
[email protected] likes this.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #27 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Yes bathroom AND showering...the other day i went for my tooth brush and it was gone! And so was bear...
post #28 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM

How quickly he taught our other dogs (older than him and non gsd's) that he was in charge. Almost funny to see them hold back from toys bones and sleeping mats when he's around. I watch them look at the toys and then see him coming and are like nevermind, im not going through the wrestling match for that rawhide.

A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)
post #29 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckh View Post
How quickly he taught our other dogs (older than him and non gsd's) that he was in charge. Almost funny to see them hold back from toys bones and sleeping mats when he's around. I watch them look at the toys and then see him coming and are like nevermind, im not going through the wrestling match for that rawhide.
You know that is true!
My gparents had a black lab cross gshep and everytime my late gshep would come over he would prevent their dog from coming up onto the deck and drink from his own water bowl or even come near the steps. The poor dog couldnt do anything on his own turf when my shane was around. It was crazy to see
post #30 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Although off topic...why would you let your dog guard everything like that?
Here at our home, they guard it, they lose it.
Allowing unlimited resource guarding is a set up for a big fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page