Things you didn't know about GSDs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
What SHE ^^^ said. We thought we had a problem dog on our hands but she was just a normal GSD pup. Also didn't know how smart they are. Abby's a rocket scientist compared to previous dogs. And talkative ... my wife calls her our interactive dog. One thing the breeder said after listening to our complaining was, "I don't really like my GSDs until they are around a year old. Then they always prove that they were worth the trials they put me through."

What he said!!!lol..

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

Just exactly what "Blowing coat" meant or why the German Shedder nickname!!!

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #13 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

1. That some have what I call the Houdini Gene, and that the Houdini Gene is hereditary. Jenna has it, so does Bear. Jenna has gotten out of her seatbelt several times this week, and Bear practices on the wire crate in her kennel, every day I shut it, and she opens it. Last night, she was INSIDE her crate in the house, and she managed to open that. Where or where are my snap-clips when I need them? Oh, they are all holding buckets on fencing, see below.

2. Some GSDs have what I call the Bucket Gene. A dog with the bucket gene, loves to take stainless steel buckets of any size and play with them, emptying out the contents, and whirling the bucket all over the place, sometimes hiding it in snow. Odie has the Bucket Gene. Bear has a variation of it, see below.

3. A variation of the bucket gene is the Bucket-W Gene. The symptoms of this gene are blowing bubbles in the water bowl or bucket, paddling the water out of the bucket, putting toys in water bucket, putting feet in water bucket, dunking the head in the water bucket for the sheer joy of spraying it all over. This is not to be confused with the Water Gene, see below.

4. I have yet to meet a GSD without the Water Gene. I am not sure if it is only shepherds that have it. Whether you give them a bowl, or a pail, or a pot, GSDs are the messiest of drinkers. Some like to suck up a trunk full of water and carry it with them, leaving it on the bed or on the floor. Some will do this with food too, if you feed them in the kitchen and then go to the living room, they will take a mouthful and go to where they can see you lay it down and eat it at their leisure. Others just suck up a mouthful of water, turn to look at you and dribble half of it on the floor.

Bear and Cujo both lie down to eat. I mean, that's cool for Cujo who eats in the toasty warm kitchen, but Bear Cub will lay herself down on a pile of snow to eat her food. GSDs have amazingly varied personalities.
Mame likes this.

Babsy
Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Quinn (The Werewolf), Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

I agree about the "talking" or "whining". I remember my first GSD starting "talking" when she was a puppy and I was like WTH? LOL And when I got Uschi...she didn't really start talking until she was about 2'ish...but I love it! And its one of the qualities I like about the breed.
post #15 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
the bitting when a puppy!! I thought Molly was aggressive but I learned that GSD's are very mouthy as puppies!
I distinctly remember calling my friend saying "this thing is a MONSTER!!! I've made a huge mistake!"
post #16 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

How our home would never be complete without one...
Vala and [email protected] like this.
post #17 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
How our home would never be complete without one...
well said
post #18 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

I didn't know about how expressive their ears are. You can tell exactly what Sasha is thinking/feeling by watching her ears (especially in combination with other body language).

I didn't know how vocal they are. The constant talking has all been new to me. Also the being so vocal while playing really threw me.

I knew they were smart, but the degree in which they are smart just floored me. I taught Sasha to shake after like two or three times of grabbing her paw, saying "Shake" and giving her a treat. She did it fairly reliably after that and it only took a day or two before it was bomb proof.

They are also very in tune to their owners. I knew they were loyal and what not but I was like, "Well...all dogs are loyal." I mean our golden was loyal but he was necessarily in touch with my feelings. There again maybe he would be if he would have lived in doors. I don't know. Sasha seems to know exactly how I'm feeling at all times.

I also, rather naively, thought they were mean/aggressive. I actually didn't want one for that reason. I've since come to learn that that's not the case. Sasha has enough aggression in her, I believe, to protect me from a genuine threat. However, I don't feel like she's a loose cannon who's just a man-eating biting machine (granted I didn't think in those extreme of terms before, but my mom had had a GSD before I was born that I've grown up hearing stories about and he was VERY aggressive and it spooked me a bit) . She has this incredibly goofy, lovey, side to her that way over shadows her "I'm a big, scary GSD" side. What I discovered about myself was that I actually like her "scary" side. I thought I really wanted a dog that just loved everyone and I never had to worry about being aggressive, and now that I have her I like the security that her aloofness provides.

I also didn't realize how one person dog they really are. Sasha loves many people that I am close with, but she loves me most. I mean the girl chose me over what she always acts like is the love of her life (cheese). lol. My mom says when I leave she waits by the window for me to come back. She may sleep for a bit, but she's mostly interested when I come back. She wants to be with me. My golden was pretty cool with being with any of us. Sasha loves her grammy and her uncle but she loves her momma best.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #19 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM

What big BABIES they are. Step on a toe, omg it's the end of their worrrrld. You'd think you would have broken their leg in half.
Vala and [email protected] like this.
post #20 of 362 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Master Member

I didn't know about the Velcro thing.

the sensitive stomachs

bloating

Shedding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page