Introducing a puppy to a resident dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Elite Member

Depends on the adult dog. With my oldest Lab, I fostered/rescued and also had puppies in and out and just brought them into the house. He was always, 100% of the time, fine with them.

When I was going to have a new dog at my house for any reason, I always introduced Madix somewhere NOT at home. It didn't necessarily have to be neutral, but he needed to be doing something during the intro. Ex: I would throw the Chuck It for him and then the "new" dog/puppy could be in the vicinity and eventually run around and he would be fine with them after that. If he didn't have something to occupy his mind, he would freak out and be reactive.

My other Lab DESPISED puppies of all kinds so we always did a short intro somewhere very neutral and then separation until he could pull himself together - and then monitored until we could trust him with the new addition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM

I have never brought in an adult dog, but when I get a puppy, I first let the puppy check out my outside area, then I usually sit somewhere with them in my lap and bring out the dogs

They are usually sniffing and whiffing the new puppy, no big deal,,then hubby plays with the dogs, while I sit there still with puppy,,if puppy wants down, well I do it, and supervise. So far, (knock on wood) I've never had a problem introducing a puppy into my pack..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Crowned Member

Although Sinister loves everyone and everything, I play it safe and always introduce him to puppies and dogs in a neutral place.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Knighted Member

For Lakota & Kiya I used the shipping crate, set it in the backyard and slowly worked up to opening the gate, leashes on everyone. When I brought Apache home we had Chazzy, she was about 8 and the introduction was a non issue because she was a kind dog and lonely after we lost Cheyenne.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think you really have to play it by ear and know your dog.

With Gryffon, I got him when he was six months old - so on the cusp of loosing his puppy licence and being seen as an older dog by other dogs. Keeta HAS growled and snapped at young dogs, some as young as four or five months old - but some dogs she accepts, so wasn't sure how to do the introduction. I really considered the neutral territory idea, but after thinking about it, I felt it was better to do the introductions in the house. The house is not her territory, but mine. If I bring a new dog into the house, she needs to accept it, because I say so.

So she was boarded for a couple of days when I drove to Vancouver to pick Gryffon up and bring him back. He was in the house in his crate when I brought Keeta back from the boarding kennel. She didn't suspect anything, LOL! But as soon as I opened the door, she froze and started air scenting.

She walked around the room air scenting, and following the scent, suddenly found herself face to face with Gryff's kennel. Her eyes popped open! She looked at Gryff (who was standing and wagging his tail), she looked at me incredulous, as if saying "Mom? Did you know there is a dog in here??" Back at Gryff, back at me, look of total confusion on her face. I acted completly unconcerned and went about my business. Later in the day, I took them both out to play ball, and they were fine.
Though it did take a few days for Keeta to stop with the confused looks of "When is he going home" and and really relax with him around.

I really think that in this particular case, introducing a new dog outside in neutral territory would have been a mistake, as Keeta takes a social behavioural clues from me - looks to me for direction in that way. Outside, she probably feels more justified in 'defending' her personal space. In the house, it is my space, live with it!

(Actually, this is a great topic for the weekly discussion and will move your thread there, Elisabeth).

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

Last edited by Castlemaid; 07-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

It really depends on the older dog's temperament and disposition toward other dogs, and you have to know your older dog.

Luka is used to strange dogs coming around, as I have a grooming business and occasionally do boarding for my clients. So I wasn't too worried when I brought Vinca home. I let Vinca out in the backyard to potty and sniff around, then held her when I brought Luka outside. Lots of sniffing, then ignoring. I brought the both of them in the house and let Vinca down, after which she immediately ran up to Luka and started licking her muzzle. Vinca had been around lots of other adult GSDs at the breeder's, so she had no fear. The two of them get along famously. This is a picture on the first day.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:15 AM

I took my boy with me to pick up the pup, he was around 18 months old. We walked in to a group of 4 x 3month old pups, all 4 pups were swarming around the place and my boy jumped up on to an empy table to get out of the way. After we had decided which pup we wanted, the owner took the other pups out of the room, the pair of them went roaming around together. My boy Blade was getting really keen on the pup by then and when we took them both out to the car, he was calm. Because it was a long way to go we stayed at a friend house overnight, by which time Blade thought the pup was his new present.
That was 4 months ago and the pup follows him closely, does what he does, and goes where he goes. Never had a single problem with them. Will be watching now to ensure that this 7 month old pup does not try to take over ;-0, He is nearly as tall as Blade but quite a few kilos lighter as he is a GSD cross Husky. They play together all day long, except when I interfere for walks and games.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack
Odin has always been good with dogs, so I may not be the best to take an example from as with fosters, pet sitting, and friends who sometimes visit with dogs we've just bought the dogs in the house and acted casual. Odin will sniff, wag his tail and go about his business. I've been really lucky, dog introductions have been a fairly stress free event in my house. when it came time to introduce the newest permanent member last month (Shade) I gave her time to explore the house and yard alone and left Odin crated, and then let him out in the house with her and that was that.

Kelli Black &
Bianka "Shade" v. Littlehaus (2/2/11)
Wodanaz "Odin" BH, CD, RE, TT, CGC, TDI, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Bailey loves all living/breathing creatures. She welcomes all.

Trigger came in and met Wendy in the kitchen - she was in a piddle mode so we decided that was best.

I never had a problem introducing new dogs (fosters or additions), some we did introduce in the back yard - letting new explore before bringing the resident out.

Rita
Wendy Darling (GSD)
Gidget (Min Pin)
Bailey (Choco Lab)
Chachi, Bonnie, Rico, Jelly Bean and Hank (Da Birds)
Kayla Marie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

Leerburg | Introducing a Dog into a Home with other Dogs

I suggest this article. It helped me with an issue I had. That has sence be resolved (thanks to this great read). Now I understand that I was going about my two GSD intro all wrong. I don't take my dogs to dog parks. I don't trust people I don't know so why should I trust there dogs I don't know?!? We do go on hikes and walks and this I'm ok with. I'm just to weary of people and their dogs unless I know them personally. You never know....

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!

Last edited by DanielleOttoMom; 12-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page