Can They Really Understand Us? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM

I do not know about Sasha "understanding" me, but I KNOW she can talk, sooner or later she will speak up and say something. She is 5 1/2 years old, but I KNOW, any minute now she will start talking. I admit, I am more convinced of it after a beer or two, but gosh darn it, I KNOW she can talk......

Allowed to live indoors, (most of the time) with:
Sgt Sasha TNSG
ELIS z Hnedej scaly
(Call Name: Sasha)
(I'm in BIG Trouble Name: Sasha ELIS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

Diabla knows a command that means "go to the car". The other day I was at a park for an event with my dog and my mother. Since I already know that this ALWAYS happen I said my mom to watch...

When we arrived to the parking area I said Diabla to go to the car. She ran and sit next to a Jeep Wrangler instead of next to my little hatchback. I don't know if she is trying to tell me something or if she reads my subconscious because she always picks the bigger 4x4.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #43 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Elite Member

Saber's only 14 weeks old but she already knows a heck of a lot. If I ask her if she wants to go outside, she sits at the top of the stairs and waits for her leash. When we are outside, if she is done pottying she sits and looks at me until I say "let's go in the house" and then she gets up and heads to the door. When it is about 15 minutes til her mealtime, she goes and whines outside my bedroom door (her food is in there). And then I ask, "do you want your food?" and she jumps up and dances and wags her tail, and runs back and forth in the hall. I go to scoop the food and say "wait" and she backs up and sits down and mutters. Then I say "I need your bowl" and she races off to find her food dish and bring it to me (and sometimes throws it at me). Then I say " go in your crate" and in she goes in and waits.

If I say "let's go for a ride" she runs to the back of the car to get in. If I say "let's go for a walk" she heads down the sidewalk. She gets all excited if I mention the word "treat."

And, well, Speedy isn't a GSD, but he is pretty funny because if you say "you stink" he will slink off and hide behind the couch to avoid a bath.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to crewchief_chick
my husbands lab/pitt mix who now belongs to his mom (they bonded on the last deployment and became inseparable) you cannot utter the word mcdonalds around. he will start salivating and drench EVERYTHING!!! and if you are a car he will pace back and forth looking for those golden arches. and then he will not stop till you buy him a double cheeseburger
post #45 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseysGSD View Post
I feel so special!! LOL
I think our dogs understand our meaning more than our words. They are very sensitive to tone and body language and context.
post #46 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM

I believe that Tank understands a lot of what me and my girlfriend say and do. For example, last night my girlfriend went upstairs to get a drink of water and forgot to turn the water in the sink off. Well, when she went to go back to the stairs, Tank would not go. He sat down and looked at her, then looked at the sink as to say "Hey dummy, you forgot to turn it off!" Lol he's so smart!
post #47 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:16 PM

I see the intelligence of my German Shepherd (and other smarter breeds of dog) to be similar the intelligence of an average 1 year old child, as far as language, social ability, etc. They have a large sound recognition "vocabulary" to objects/actions, but they don't grasp concepts behind them. They learn tasks like a toddler, thru repetition and praise, and they learn best by watching other family members interacting with the environment.

GSD: Jake. (2008-2018)
Labrador Retriever: Spookie (adopted from local shelter)
Bengal Cat: Starbucks (rescue)
post #48 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's Dad View Post
I do not know about Sasha "understanding" me, but I KNOW she can talk, sooner or later she will speak up and say something. She is 5 1/2 years old, but I KNOW, any minute now she will start talking. I admit, I am more convinced of it after a beer or two, but gosh darn it, I KNOW she can talk......

OF COURSE she can talk... I saw Cats N Dogs movies (LOVE the GSD in the 2nd one... such a pretty dog!), all our pets are secretly having conversations about overthrowing each other as our dominant companion.

GSD: Jake. (2008-2018)
Labrador Retriever: Spookie (adopted from local shelter)
Bengal Cat: Starbucks (rescue)
post #49 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Master Member

I think some dogs (even other animals) can understand alot. When Dakota was a puppy he understood what " Go to the basement" meant. We never actively taught him it. We told him it once and he did it.. we were shocked. Ditto knows that I am mom and my mom is grandma. If I ask her where grandma is she will look out the window to see if she is here. I think this is just from us using those words to describe each other to the dogs. Dakota also knows these. Im not sure if they know my brother and sisters names. They of course know walk, potty, outside, ball.

Ditto GSD- 6 years old
Daisy Alaskan Husky- 4 years old
Weegee Toy Poodle- 2 years old

Always loved, missed, and remembered:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
post #50 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Elite Member

I didn't read this entire thread however just came on and saw it at the perfect time. Jinx is driving me insane and I told her if she kept it up she was going down for a nap and the went over and closed her crate door and walked away... think that was a protest? lmao.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page