Housetrained but loves to poop in the basement - help! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

Yet another thought would be to take some of the deposit outside and place it where you want her to go. She may get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Haha yes I agree Malibu that title is a little misleading.....When I got her 8 weeks ago I was assured she was housebroken ..... she does poop outside most if the time but if she can get into that room for even a minute it seems like - itís all over. I am using an enzymatic cleaner and thereís minimal residue to start out with but Iím sure the scent is still there for her .... I like everyoneís ideas.... putting it outside and also feeding her on that floor. It honestly seems like thereís something that draws her to that place ..... I Fostered a dog a few months ago who also pooped down there so I wonder if thatís what started it? I promise my house is very clean but I wonder what else has happened in that room since the house was built in 1936 lol!
Sabis mom likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursejulie View Post
Haha yes I agree Malibu that title is a little misleading.....When I got her 8 weeks ago I was assured she was housebroken ..... she does poop outside most if the time but if she can get into that room for even a minute it seems like - itís all over. I am using an enzymatic cleaner and thereís minimal residue to start out with but Iím sure the scent is still there for her .... I like everyoneís ideas.... putting it outside and also feeding her on that floor. It honestly seems like thereís something that draws her to that place ..... I Fostered a dog a few months ago who also pooped down there so I wonder if thatís what started it? I promise my house is very clean but I wonder what else has happened in that room since the house was built in 1936 lol!
Does that floor happen to be concrete? If yes, she could have been kenneled a lot and was imprinted that way.
Nursejulie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

No whatís weird is that itís the only room that has wall to wall carpet.... rest of the house is hardwood with area rugs ....the laundry room has linoleum and itís easier to get to than this bedroom lol.
Itís fairly new carpet within the last 5 years and room is only used when family stay over but the foster dog did poop in there .... I donít know if they are drawn to it bc itís dark maybe?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 PM
Master Member

Just chiming in, so that's the only room with carpet? That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Dogs tend to relieve themselves in soft grounds. That's part of the reason when potty training we train them to pee/poo on the grass or soil.

So you've been cleaning up your dog's mess on carpet?? That's rough...
Nursejulie likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

soft surfaces ----- the latest pup took forever to house train. She also found a dog bed and peed on it (in the garage) when the garage door was open and I was standing right there...............
Nursejulie likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Thankfully she has nice firm stools lol
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Close off access to the basement. She I s not allowed in there unless supervised, and also make sure to clean the soiled areas with an enzyme remover so she does not feel compelled to continue eliminating in the same area. Perhaps also take her out more often just to be sure?
Nursejulie likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

The carpet might look clean after cleaned with enzymes but the scent is still in the pad underneath. When we moved to a new home our dogs started pooping inside the house in one room. Neighbors told us that the previous owners' pets had soiled there. We removed carpet and pad, sealed the wooden base floor with stain killer (paint) and put in a new pad new carpet. Dogs never went back there.
Nursejulie likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I wonder if installing a dog door to the outdoors would help since she is reluctant to announce her needs.
Installing a dog door, if possible, was one of the solutions I was thinking of also. I also think it would be helpful to put up a gate to keep her out of the basement (if you don't want to close the door). I have this gate across our stairs to keep my toddlers away from the stairs. I like it because it is sturdy, somewhat attractive, and auto-closes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page