Who makes the best pee pads? PetGuide investigates... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes
  • 7 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By Steve Strom
  • 5 Post By Magwart
  • 2 Post By WIBackpacker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Your Bargain Hunter

Who makes the best pee pads? PetGuide investigates...

Whether you are potty training your dog, have an elderly pet with continence issues or simply want your pooch to have somewhere to go potty while you are at work, pee pads are the answer. To make sure you avoid having issues with leaks, odors, tears or poor capacity, we have prepared a list of best pee pads for pets that the market has to offer.

READ THE FULL STORY VIA PETGUIDE.COM HERE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Mother Nature does. Teach your dogs to pee outside and save on remodeling costs.
tc68, Aly, wolfy dog and 4 others like this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

Agreed; save yourself the trouble of double house training and adding to the world's garbage pile. Imagine having to clean up a pad from an adult GSD!
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

A little more awareness of the people you direct ads like this to, a forum like this one, would be a good idea.
sebrench and bantam7 like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

I think this product has no place in a home, unless one is caring for an incontinent dog in hospice care. Even then, you can just line their bed or crate with washable towels and old blankets for a more environmentally friendly solution to leaking.

I have a friend who has 5 adult dogs, large and small -- and all them are trained on pee pads. His house reeks of urine, and it's freaking disgusting. He can't find a dog sitter who will come take care of them when he travels because it's so gross to do the daily pee pad change. Now that that guy's dogs are well-trained on the pads, he can't get them to go outside -- they view the room with the pee pads as the universal toilet. He ignored my advice re crating and having an "outside only" toileting policy as the dogs came to him one by one...and now he's got a tough living situation. He's single, so there's nobody else in the home that it bothers, but he's probably going to be single forever living in the House of Pee.
tc68, Aly, wolfy dog and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-24-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I've never understood how the puppy pee pad market stays afloat. I've used many over the years, as an underlayment in baby bird brooders to ensure dryness overnight and prevent splay leg.

(Not for dogs.)

The "underpads" sold for medical and hospice uses for humans are superior not only in function, but cost less and are sold in mulch more sensible bulk quantities. The packaging has a boring medical logo on it, there's no cute smiling cartoon puppy on the box, but the product is cheaper and better. Blows my mind. Marketing.
sebrench and bantam7 like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:30 PM

I know they seem ridiculous for a GSD, and I agree, but there are times they’re very handy. I’ve used them in an expen for elderly Italian Greyhounds, who were too rickety for bad weather, and for those same iggies when they were puppies and wouldn’t go out in the pouring rain. I had a bunch of the cloth hospital ones. They also came in handy when my elderly Dobe was leaky. I put a waterproof sheet in the chair and then a cloth pee pad.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:54 PM

Your local garden center. Squares of sod are infinitely superior for housetraining a puppy (when you must leave him on his own). Pup develops strong lifetime scent and texture preference for grass immediately without a need to transition; clean up the poop right away, let the pee soak in b/c dogs like to pee where there's pee, replace square once a week or more often if needed. Breeder can successfully start housetraining with a square in the puppy area as soon as the pups are able to walk. Cheaper and more eco friendly too, like those cool fabric baby diapers they're coming out with now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantam7 View Post
Your local garden center. Squares of sod are infinitely superior for housetraining a puppy (when you must leave him on his own). Pup develops strong lifetime scent and texture preference for grass immediately without a need to transition; clean up the poop right away, let the pee soak in b/c dogs like to pee where there's pee, replace square once a week or more often if needed. Breeder can successfully start housetraining with a square in the puppy area as soon as the pups are able to walk. Cheaper and more eco friendly too, like those cool fabric baby diapers they're coming out with now.
I'd be careful about that. Sod is held together with a plastic mesh that you don't want them chewing/eating. A loose piece of sod could turn into a toy.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page