new baby and dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

new baby and dogs

Hi there! I am currently 14 weeks pregnant (due in June) and have two GSDs. One is almost 2 and the other is 5 months. I'm a little nervous about them adjusting to a newborn. They are both gentle natured but I still worry about the safety of our baby. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is there anything I can be doing now that can help prepare them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:05 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: new baby and dogs

If you've raised and socialized your dogs. Trained and had them out with tons of strangers and kids already, then you already know the answer.

I know all my dogs would be 100% fine because of all the previous training and socialization I've done. Does that mean I leave the baby/young child alone and unattended with the dogs? Certainly not. Dogs are big, kids are small, accidents happen.

I also know there are things I can do to make things even easier and to prepare my dogs in the next months. As well as being aware to not go from the pups being 100% the focus of my time BEFORE the baby and then ignored after the baby (not saying thats what you intend ).

Here's some sites with great info to use in conjunction with continuing the current dog classes and socialization trips:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ur_dog_is.html

http://www.petfriendlyhouse.com/info...by_to_dog.aspx

http://www.familycorner.com/family/p...new_baby.shtml

http://www.ehow.com/how_4559128_intr...g-newborn.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Njgray21

I had my first child when I had three GSD's in the house. They were very curious at first but then promptly lost interest. I made sure not to yell and over react if they got near the baby. I let them sniff him and lick his feet but always with me hovering If you think you are going to change something that you do with them after the baby arrives then do it now before the baby gets there. That way they are used to the routine and don't get jealous of baby.

I didn't have any problems but every dog is different. But no matter how good your dogs are with your baby, NEVER leave a child unattended with an animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

I had my first when Morgan was 2 and Luther was 5. One thing I did that seemed to work well was setting up the stroller/car seat combo and walking them around the house with it. When James came home from the hospital, we used to wheel him around the house in it - worked out great when it was dinner time!

I'll think of more training things I did with the dogs but I'm running late for services.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Master Member

We have a 5 month old daughter and we just adopted a 4 month old GSD. Nikita does awesome with her, but we definitely don't want to leave them alone together. When Amaylie (daughter) gets excited and makes a lot of noise Nikita gets JUST as excited and wants to play by stomping her feet towards the baby or just pawing at her. So we need to be on our game and be quick to tone Nikita down before Amaylie gets hurt. I have been trying to set some boundaries and it seems to be working. I am not one bit afraid of Nikita biting the baby or hurting her on purpose. But we definitely have to baby sit both of them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 05:24 PM

Socialize Socialize and then Socializie some more. And TRAIN good behavior around ALL people. Let them especially see small children!
You should be fine if you do those things. They should sit for a small child to pet them. If they do not have good behavior and habits before the baby comes they are not going to magically have it after the baby gets here. Just the opinion of an old trainner and grandma. Also, nig 21.....right on!!!!!
julies'omom

julies'omom

Annie, toy red poodle
Brandi Mini poodle
Julie v Kolenda, GSD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dee Phillips

I agree it is about training and bounds, but a baby is not the palce to see.I work on a puppy from 20yr to younger and younger. Neighborhood kids work great, leash and comands with control.Supervised training in strollers was great for me, I did it with my sons and now with grandsons, so it does work,but a grown adoption I would not trust,dogs raise in my house I do but as above never at no time with out an adult in the room.I have cats,kids,dogs,teens,old,and young adults from when they are puppies,have never had aggression and all mine are working dogs. Just be there an careful and enjoy the fun.

jAGUAR VON WOLFNASE
PRINCESS DANITA PHILLIPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page