What is the Canine Good Citizen? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

What is the Canine Good Citizen?

kenya starts training on Feb 5 and they also offer classes for the CGC. and i heard a bit about it and it sounds like something i would want to try with kenya.
can any dog participate? kenya isnt registered or anything..

what are some of the things a dog must know to pass the CGC?

thanks
we are also starting agility soon enough, so yaa shes gonna be a busy girl lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

Re: What is the Canine Good Citizen?

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm

This is a must-read for the CGC program. Any dog can take the test, mix or pure, registered or not. Renji and I are working on it but out biggest problems will be accepting handling by a stranger, grooming by a stranger, and out of sight separation- he makes more whiny noises than a flock of baby chicks! I think you and Kenya will likely be able to pass with little problems. Good CGC classes are awesome and very helpful for more than just the CGC.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Kenya is a bit shy so we might have problems with grooming by a stranger. she backs away when people she doesnt know reach for her

but im sure the classes will help, shes coming out of her shell a lil more every day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 PM

its alot to ask of a rescue to take the cgc after just a month (?) of being with you...

she sounds like a great dog to work with and i'm sure with a bit more confidence she could pass it with flying colors. you can take the cgc classes for practice, but if its basic obedience that you're already enrolled in, that should also suffice.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

lol im not taking the test now! im signing up for the classes after shes done with her basic obedience

Lol shes a good dog, but she doesnt even know her 100% recall yet
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

The only thing hold Balto back is that he wants to greet everybody! We have also signed up for another obedience class startingin 2 weeks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Fransheskalol im not taking the test now! im signing up for the classes after shes done with her basic obedience
ha, i know... but you pointed out some of her faults here:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: FransheskaKenya is a bit shy so we might have problems with grooming by a stranger. she backs away when people she doesnt know reach for her
...so i was just reiterating that those are normal things to be expected (most of the time) this early on. even w/o classes i think they are issues that could resolve themselves. by the time basic obedience is done, she will have been with you about 6 months... i would try taking the test then w/o the cgc class. i look at it sort of as a "brush up course" or "practice" like i said. for instance if my dog took obedience classes as a puppy, then i decided a few years later to go for the cgc - i might take a cgc specific course to brush up on his skills if i didnt feel secure about him passing.

tilden and i will be taking his test soon... as diana mentioned with her boy, i'm having problems with the out-of-sight portion of the test. tilden is also a whiner. he does calm, but not within a "reasonable amount of time"

the obedience portion is very basic... a "good citizen" is really about socialization and control.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

ohh i think i might try that lol i feel like ive had her forever, she fits in so well around here i totally forgot that i adopted her only november 4th

im so glad that her shyness is pretty normal. shes fine most of the time but people run up to her and expect her to be a total lovebug for their affection.. and usually she gets scared.

lol kenya is a velcro dog also.. she doesnt even like me going to the bathroom on my own!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

It can take time with the shy dogs. It took Risa almost 2 years to be ready to take the CGC (she's also a rescue). When I got her, there wasn't a single portion of the test she would have passed.

The biggest parts I was worried about come test day were being greeted by a stranger/grooming and meeting another dog. I didn't sign us up for the test until I was fairly certain she'd pass it. If she hadn't, it was no big deal--we would have just try again later. She actually jumped up to say "Hi" to the evaluator (though was quick to sit down again) and didn't react a bit when a Lab mix rushed her while we were signing up for the test (right in front of the evaluator too). So she passed with flying colors.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Knighted Member

I do not plan on taking CGC specific classes with Lancer. We did it with Kayla but by the time she took the CGC, she had completed her CD and Rally trials through Excellent so the training for those as well as her socialization, went a long way in preparing her for the CD. Like others have said, my biggest concern was the out of site exercise, but she made it through without a hitch.

Plan on going pretty much the same route with Lancer. We will use the classes for advance obedience, rally in preparing for the CGC test instead of adding a CGC specific class. We can break/or add exercises in some of those classes to teach and test some of the CGC specific exercises this time around.

It seems you have identified some of the areas you need to work on. So focus on those for a while and I think you will do fine.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page