How do you.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How do you..

...remain patient with your dogs? This is my biggest challenge in dog training, I am a very impatient person and want results NOW. How do you train your dogs and remain patient even when it looks like they are not learning anything?

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How do you..

You take a lot of deep breaths, smile and enjoy your puppy and remember that even little steps are steps forward. One day the light will go on and you will say to yourself, geeze I thought he wasn't getting it.

Life is fun for puppies, so maybe try incorporating more training into what you would consider play sessions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Patience is a virtue Think back a month ago, 2 months ago, a year ago. Have things progressed since then??

Most likely! (if not, then maybe there is a problem) So they ARE learning!

Try not to get ahead of yourself... if you rush, it prob will take longer.

Just have fun and it wont matter how long it takes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Very good points!!! You are right about looking back and thinking where we were a month ago, or a year ago...very good point. I never thought I would get a CDX on Cody but here we are!!!

Päivi
Mom of
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 PM

LOL I'm right there with you Superpup. I take a breath, walk away in some instances and remember what awesome parents my pup has. I tell myself she'll catch on soon and life is good then.

Wolfish_one
Dad to Jasmine (GSD)
Scarlet (GSD)
Romon (Golden Ret.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

I practice it doing small sessions. I work often with different breeds, but when training my own dog I tend to feel I advance too slowly. I used to own a Border Collie that could learn anything completely new in six repetitions and a full sequence in 15 minutes (she was my TV dog). Yes, GSDs are smart dogs and a great working breed in other aspects, I'm not sure I'd even own another BC because of the nerve issues of the breed, but I tend to loose my patience when after repeating, repeating and repeating the dog just begin to grasp the idea.

I just keep it short and one session voilá! the dog understand it and she never forgets.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Oh my gosh, I am so bad at that... I am always looking at other breed of dogs and saying to myself.. they just must be fast learners or I am that bad of a trainer... LOL!!

Päivi
Mom of
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

there is no impatience when training a dog. you train at there pace. you might want results now but that only works if you're the one in training. how old is your dog? what are you rushing or being impatient about? your dog is going to learn and he's/she's going to learn fast. don't expect your dog to learn something on the first few takes.

i always teach one thing at a time. we'll train 4 to 6 times a day for 10 minutes a session. once my dog learns whatever it is i'm teaching we move on to the next thing. i find they learn somethings quickly and somethings take more time. you'll find somethings they learn on their on and i mean good things.

take your time. set up a training scheduleand stay with it. don't take on any attitude that's not positive when training. when you feel impatient it's time to stop training for that session. always end your sessions on a positive note.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, I have a few suggestions.

1. Set down your treats. Put down your clicker. Let your dog go in his crate with a chew

and buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Clash-.../dp/1888047054

Donaldson is funny. She's insightful. She tells us how it is. And she gives us tips how to communicate with those furry creatures that we choose to share our homes with.

Every time I get so frustrated that I want to pull my hair out, I pull the book off the shelf. And there is Jean, smiling through her words and reminding us of the obvious problems. They are not like us. So we must stop thinking like US and start thinking like THEM.

2. Päivi, this is one of the major reasons that I take classes. The other owners commiserate. The trainers commiserate. And when I whine "she'll never learn ANYTHING," the trainer walks over quietly, gives my pup five commands in a row (which she executes perfectly), and looks at me and says "you taught her that. She's learning. Now back to work!"

3. Also, your dogs are both adolescents. You're the mom of teenagers. The funny thing about adolescent dogs is that they ARE learning. They're learning everything. But they're bratty teenagers. They'll never admit you're right. But then they slide into adulthood and wow, look at that -- they know everything you've been trying to teach them. One day not very long ago, I looked down at the dog at my side and wondered who is this well behaved guy? And he looked up at me (with beautiful eyes and a dashing grin) and said 'Hey, I've been here all along. "

4. Learning almost always happens BETWEEN sessions. You'll struggle. You'll struggle. You'll struggle. And then one time, your pup will get it right the FIRST time. Brains (human, canine, dolphin) are programmed to learn while we're relaxing and especially while we're sleeping. So you're thinking "OMG! How'd you do that!" and your pup is thinking, "well, I've been practicing that in my dreams for the last five nights!"

So while it's nice to end on with success, if I can't get a success with the new skill, I ask my dog for a Sit, Down, Stand, Speak! And when he does all of those in succession-- which is easy for him, and he loves to end with that big happy bark! -- I give him a big snack and that's our ending with success.

Sometimes (ok, often) brains just need downtime to process new information and learn.

If I get frustrated, he's not happy. So I try to stop before then. I switch tasks to something easy that can use repetition (can't our dogs ALWAYS work on faster sits and downs or longer down stays?); or I move to something more physical (maybe teaching a trick that requires movement, like a Spin. Or I just call it a day and I chase him around the house until we're both out of breath.

Recap:
1. Get the book.
2. Find someone to give you perspective on how far you've come and to point out that you're improving day by day.
3. There is only one way through adolescence. You have to WORK through it.
4. Learning occurs BETWEEN sessions.

5. You are not alone.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Superpup...remain patient with your dogs? This is my biggest challenge in dog training, I am a very impatient person and want results NOW. How do you train your dogs and remain patient even when it looks like they are not learning anything?
I remain patient because I don't want any negativity projected on to them, so to be honest, it makes me work harder to be aware of my behavior.

I can be anctious, and I don't want to project that either, however sometimes it's impossible, but again, my dogs make we aware of my issues (and I have some

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page