How do I acclimate a cat to a puppy properly? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

How do I acclimate a cat to a puppy properly?

Hi,
I'm planning on adopting a puppy from a shelter, but I have a year and a half old tabby whom I love and don't want to see hurt. I'm not sure how to introduce the new puppy to the cat without terrifying him. The puppy will be an indoor/outdoor dog. How do I introduce the shepherd properly without putting any danger to my cat, and also to the puppy?

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Knighted Member

Re: How do I acclimate a cat to a puppy properly?

I always leave a new cat in "isolation" for at least a week. This gives them a chance to sniff each other through the door and get to know each other without injury. After a week, I'll go to a baby gate so that the cat has an opportunity to escape if necessary. I have 8 Bengal cats and 3 GSD's in the house so peace between the species is very important! The cats and dogs actually get along better than my female dogs.

~Tracy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style="color: #000099">Xandor vom Haus Sevens, IPO 3
Emma vom Haus Dieffenthaler

</span></span>
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: How do I acclimate a cat to a puppy properly?

For the "isolation week", do I have to keep the puppy in a separate room? or the cat? And what do I do if he/she needs a bathroom break? Once they see each other, my cat is probably going to freak out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page